Cyberpunk 2077 - needs more polish for a AAA title

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's best to ignore most information about this game. It's not perfect. But it's still pretty amazing, and will only get better.

There are tons of people that really just enjoy trashing any new game that comes out. Especially big ones.

If this game was EVER something that you personally were considering, because you were excited for it or liked the idea of it, then you should probably just get it and stop listening to people bitch on Reddit.

It's not flawless, and I'm not here to tell you that it is. However, if the subject matter is something you're into, the game is cool. Period. Just needs some polish. (I guess I'll qualify that with, "if you're not on a last-gen console") :D
Well said. Yeah, its not what was advertised but that's not stopping me from enjoying the hell out of what it is.

Well said. Yeah, its not what was advertised but that's not stopping me from enjoying the hell out of what it is.

I have a feeling that it will age like a combination of The Witcher 3 and No Man's Sky. :D I have no doubt they'll give it the basic polish and optimization it needs. I have no doubt there will be some add-on content. The game was too big an investment for them to ignore it. It's also the type of game that can be tweaked and refined over time, and still be interesting to play for people who jumped in early. At least IMO.

You're blowing my mind. If you even bothered to finish the game I can't understand how you wouldn't rate it well. I personally don't have time for mediocre games. I'd tap out and stop wasting my time. Clearly at some level you felt things in the title had redeeming qualities. Either that or you're just good with playing crap.

I’m really going to blow your mind. I didn’t enjoy this buggy mess of a over hyped game. I’ve experienced half of the bugs, disappointments, lack of features, and general disdain you pointed out in your editorial. Instead of glossing over the details and saying they didn’t matter, I found them annoying and half assed. It’s called an opinion. Be mind blown.

Want more mind blowing? Read the consensus of reviews, and OPINIONS of other people who had points of view not aligned with yours. There are plenty. Be mind blown.

I generally disagree with you. I tempered my expectations and knew precisely what I was getting for my $60. It does need some additional work to get 100%, but even then no game is perfect. Besides, we see a lot worse from other studios and they seem to get a pass. Fallout 76, Anthem, and generally anything from Ubisoft are as fucked or worse on launch.
How did those games you named get a pass? Surely they did not. They got the infamy they deserved.
And they delayed this game plenty. If 6 months meant AI that actually functioned, and better world interaction (just to name a few things) I’d be all about it.

sounds like you were already find with throwing $60 at whatever came out because you liked the marketing. Guess that worked for them.

sounds like you were already find with throwing $60 at whatever came out because you liked the marketing. Guess that worked for them.

Actually, there are a lot of people genuinely enjoying the game. You're 100% free to disagree, and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but that last statement is a bit silly. Further, I think quite a few people who've been playing games for the last few decades, probably didn't expect it to be flawless on release. (just given the history of huge games, potential player expectations, etc.) Maybe that shouldn't be the way things are, but many people are willing to give a little with something like this. I'm not trying to excuse bugs, or rushed releases, or for sure what happened on the low end consoles (hence my continuing opinion that those should have been axed early on). The fact is though, that there are plenty of people (millions maybe?) enjoying it, so it's not all about buying into marketing.

I'm also pretty forgiving as I'm sure my reactions to things like No Man's Sky would illustrate. I've worked in the industry. I've played games for 35+ years. Sometimes shit happens. IMO it's how the company responds after the fact that's most important. So for me, I'm enjoying it now, and will continue to play it. However, I also am 98.324% sure it will steadily improve over time, probably past anyone's initial expectations. (at least those who had reasonable expectations to start)

I'm sure the AI will improve. I'm sure more interesting side missions will creep in. I'm sure physics will improve. I'd be willing to bet it becomes more fun even from a just fucking around in the game perspective (ala GTA). Maybe, you'll even find yourself enjoying it more at a later time if you haven't written it off completely. I get that you didn't invest in a future product. (as I'm sure most people didn't) I didn't even really. However, games of this nature generally take that path. This is why people are bringing up a lot of games that started out rough or broken, and wound up being pretty decent.

It seems CDPR had too wide a focus, and it bit them. It also seems like if we look back at similar games, (even from this dev) we will see vast improvements, expansions, etc.

Just a couple of thoughts. You can still dislike it if you like. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

How is it not as advertised? I think a lot of people got it into their heads that this was going to be some sort of Cyberpunk world simulator rather than an RPG / Shooter with a focused single player story and lots of side quests. However, CDPR didn't market it as anything other than what we got. Quality issues not withstanding anyway. On that front, I think many of the issues are exaggerated.

How did those games you named get a pass? Surely they did not. They got the infamy they deserved.
And they delayed this game plenty. If 6 months meant AI that actually functioned, and better world interaction (just to name a few things) I’d be all about it.

Some games, like the Assassin's Creed games don't seem to catch a lot of flak. At least, not the way Ghost Recon Wildlands and Breakpoint did. The latter getting more than it actually deserved. Battlefield games from EA are disasters when they come out and yet people still preorder them despite not really being in an acceptable state until weeks after release. This has been true of every Battlefield release I can think of since BF2. As for Cyberpunk 2077, I'm not sure what you mean by AI that doesn't function. I have seen occasional glitches with it here and there, but it generally works. Although, it's certainly nothing special. On the subject of environmental interactivity, this one always floors me. To be clear, I'm all for additional features to improve immersion. However, I'm not interested in a Cyberpunk themed chair simulation. I don't want to do mundane things in games. I would check out such features once or twice and then move on with the game. It was always going to be a story focused RPG where you take on a role with certain limitations like the Witcher, Mass Effect, etc. It was never advertised as an open sandbox or Cyberpunk themed version of the SIMS.

People seem to have this idea that an RPG game should give you unlimited freedom of choice. Allowing you to shit, eat, sleep, etc. and sit anywhere or fuck anything. While that's certainly desirable, it's not technically possible right now. If you expected a whole lot more than the game offers, that's on you. CDPR never promised more than we got. I watched all the promotional materials and my expectations pretty well lined up with the final product. Again, CDPR never promised interactivity beyond what we got in the final product. The only thing missing from the original promotional material is the wall running which was removed a long time ago and CDPR was very transparent about that. I am not sure where people were getting the idea that this game was going to be some enormous leap forward in game design and interactivity. It's probably the best looking RPG made up to this point and its one of the few sci-fi themed ones and really, the only cyberpunk themed one aside from Deus Ex. Speaking of modern AAA titles anyway.

You can dislike, hate the game or bitch about some of the quality issues. That's fine, but on the subject of interactivity; CDPR never advertised the ability to sit anywhere, pick up any object, full eating and drinking animations etc. Although, on eating and drinking you can do it in the story missions. I would like to have seen more as well, but frankly, I understand what the technical limitations in modern gaming are. That's why I know Scam Citizen is a fucking pipe dream that will never be finished as promised.

Actually, there are a lot of people genuinely enjoying the game. You're 100% free to disagree, and your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's, but that last statement is a bit silly. Further, I think quite a few people who've been playing games for the last few decades, probably didn't expect it to be flawless on release. (just given the history of huge games, potential player expectations, etc.) Maybe that shouldn't be the way things are, but many people are willing to give a little with something like this. I'm not trying to excuse bugs, or rushed releases, or for sure what happened on the low end consoles (hence my continuing opinion that those should have been axed early on). The fact is though, that there are plenty of people (millions maybe?) enjoying it, so it's not all about buying into marketing.

I'm enjoying the game for what it is. Then again, I've been looking past marketing bullshit for decades as a reviewer. I don't board the hype train very often and keep healthy skepticism when I do. In any case, the marketing for this game worked in the sense that it made people excited for the product. However, for whatever reason many people seemed to have interpreted such marketing to mean the game was going to be more than it is. I'm not sure how that happened. CDPR showed plenty of actual game play footage and the game I'm playing looks like what I saw in those pre-release videos.

I’m really going to blow your mind. I didn’t enjoy this buggy mess of a over hyped game. I’ve experienced half of the bugs, disappointments, lack of features, and general disdain you pointed out in your editorial. Instead of glossing over the details and saying they didn’t matter, I found them annoying and half assed. It’s called an opinion. Be mind blown.

Want more mind blowing? Read the consensus of reviews, and OPINIONS of other people who had points of view not aligned with yours. There are plenty. Be mind blown.
I think you missed the point of what I said. If I hated a title or thought it wasn't worth playing I would've stopped. But you instead grinded through and played it to completion. I don't have a lot of time in general to play games. I have zero time to play games that I'm getting nothing out of or enjoy; which is one of the reasons why I'm incredibly picky about what I play and generally only want to play the best of the best which is maybe 1-2 titles a year or perhaps every two years. Of course what I consider to be the best is also at least some-what subjective but there are plenty of objective measurements in there as well. So playing a game I hate to completion is what I find mind blowing not a differing opinion.
Game criticism is an entirely different thing. In a manner of speaking they are "paid to" play terrible games if they are indeed terrible. That's their job. But I assume (perhaps wrongly) game criticism is neither of our jobs.

As for your opinion about the title, we disagree sure. But you're welcome to feel however about it you want - obviously. I don't question at all how you feel about it. Your lack of enjoyment of the game doesn't affect my enjoyment of it.

People seem to have this idea that an RPG game should give you unlimited freedom of choice. Allowing you to shit, eat, sleep, etc. and sit anywhere or fuck anything. While that's certainly desirable, it's not technically possible right now. If you expected a whole lot more than the game offers, that's on you. CDPR never promised more than we got. I watched all the promotional materials and my expectations pretty well lined up with the final product. Again, CDPR never promised interactivity beyond what we got in the final product. The only thing missing from the original promotional material is the wall running which was removed a long time ago and CDPR was very transparent about that. I am not sure where people were getting the idea that this game was going to be some enormous leap forward in game design and interactivity. It's probably the best looking RPG made up to this point and its one of the few sci-fi themed ones and really, the only cyberpunk themed one aside from Deus Ex. Speaking of modern AAA titles anyway.

You can dislike, hate the game or bitch about some of the quality issues. That's fine, but on the subject of interactivity; CDPR never advertised the ability to sit anywhere, pick up any object, full eating and drinking animations etc. Although, on eating and drinking you can do it in the story missions. I would like to have seen more as well, but frankly, I understand what the technical limitations in modern gaming are. That's why I know Scam Citizen is a fucking pipe dream that will never be finished as promised.
I like your editorial here in general and for the most part I agree. I can only speak for myself though (and not what other people were thinking or felt was necessary) that I just wished there was a little bit more interactivity. I don't have the expectation that full world simulator is possible for a lot of the reasons that you mentioned. But it just feels like a good chunk of the world has objects that do literally nothing other than be pretty. Not getting to interact with randos on the street - that's fine to me (because as I noted on the previous page, lets be honest we don't talk to every random person IRL anyway). But it feels like some of the things you did mention could've been implemented in the game for better immersion even if it doesn't serve any purpose in the game. Like eating or lootable drawers in tables or whatever or even really dumb things like light switches. I still get a kick out of interactive light switches (even though that's pretty lowest common denominator). There's still plenty to do in Night City and although I have only gotten about 4 hours in (compared to people that have played 30-60 hours even in this thread), I'm for the most part enjoying my experience even as I feel its limitations.

Last edited:
I bought the game on disk for xbox series x. It was a bugfest and didn't look very good so I returned it. I figured I'd wait until it'd been patched some and rebuy.

That lasted two days and I bought it again on PC at full price. It's better than original poster gave it credit for IMO. I decided I didn't want to wait. It's got a hook.

I also bought some CD Projekt Red stock last night. They are 30% down on the buggy news. But they'll be back. The game was paid off completely (all development and marketing cost) on pre-orders alone. That's about 8 miillion copies of pre-orders. They expect this game will sell 15 Million to 20 million copies. The remaining 8 millions + expected sales will redeem that 30% drop and then some I'll bet. The fact that I was jonesing to buy it again after I had just returned it, and seeing their stock drop - - yeah that prompted me to buy their stock. I didn't buy much, just a couple thousand dollars, but I bet it jumps back to all time high by end of 1st quarter next year, so long as the whole market doesn't crumble.

1608236010171.png

Last edited:
I'm enjoying the game for what it is. Then again, I've been looking past marketing bullshit for decades as a reviewer. I don't board the hype train very often and keep healthy skepticism when I do. In any case, the marketing for this game worked in the sense that it made people excited for the product. However, for whatever reason many people seemed to have interpreted such marketing to mean the game was going to be more than it is. I'm not sure how that happened. CDPR showed plenty of actual game play footage and the game I'm playing looks like what I saw in those pre-release videos.

Yeah, this is why I've brought up No Man's Sky a couple of times. They definitely didn't deliver on the things that they spoke about pre-release. However, people were also expecting things in the game that they never even said once leading up to release. People were just making things up in their head that were going to be in the game, and then blew it apart when it didn't have all these imaginary features. Sure, they were also pissed when it didn't have features that they DID promise, so some of it was a bit warranted. However, the game was still different and interesting after the fact, and at least for me and a few other people, still enjoyable and worth playing. Then they kept polishing and adding until now, where it's far beyond ANYTHING that anyone though would ever be possible. That's also why I mentioned what the devs do post-release being almost as important as what they do pre-release. (especially when things don't launch smoothly) Things happen. This industry probably has among the highest percentage of "things happening" at release of just about any other industry out there. Coding for a wide range of hardware and living up to "the internet's" expectations isn't exactly an easy profession to be in.

I tend to cut devs some slack until they rectify a situation, or fail miserably.

I don't understand, what was advertised, and how is it different? I didn't see anything in the marketing that is flat out not there. Maybe not in the form some hoped, but everything that was shown is in the game.

I hated the witcher series. And I love thrashing games. Surely with that background I should be lining up to trash this. But I can't because I enjoyed it, despite the flaws I've encountered.

I don't understand, what was advertised, and how is it different? I didn't see anything in the marketing that is flat out not there. Maybe not in the form some hoped, but everything that was shown is in the game.

That's true actually. Other than press footage, some leaks, some occasional things from dev interviews, they didn't really market the hell out of the game. At least, not like an EA or Ubi would anyway.

so long as the whole market doesn't crumble.

Can't see that happening while everyone is stuck at home, especially while hardware manufacturers can't even keep up with demand.

Cutting devs slack for a 8 year announced AAA game from a dev who’s not new to the AAA universe? You guys had your minds made up before you hit the install button.
I’ll gladly return to it when It’s patched proper and feels like an actual release.
And yes I played it through. Not one to judge until I’ve given it some time.

Cutting devs slack for a 8 year announced AAA game from a dev who’s not new to the AAA universe? You guys had your minds made up before you hit the install button.
I’ll gladly return to it when It’s patched proper and feels like an actual release.

On your first point? Yes. The game is big. If it was a corridor shooter or a puzzle game, maybe less so. But then, I cut most devs slack anyway. There are other studios that released nothing but great things, only to botch a later game. It happens.

That sounds counter intuitive. If you hated the game so much why return to it? A bad game will still be a bad game even if the bugs are fixed. Yet here you are trying to convince us that the game is bad and we are liking it because we decided to like it no matter what.

I hated the witcher series. And I love thrashing games. Surely with that background I should be lining up to trash this. But I can't because I enjoyed it, despite the flaws I've encountered.

High praise. No offense, but you seem to be overly critical of most games. And I've thoroughly enjoyed the game. I have encountered flaws. While those are certainly annoying, they haven't tainted my experience with the game too much. I'm by no means done with it and therefore, I'm looking forward to seeing CDPR improve it over the next few weeks to months.

Reactions: M76
like this
Witcher 3 was not my cup of tea.

Cyberpunk 2077, though... I love it.

I bought all three Witcher games. Funny enough, I think I played the first one the most. Really enjoyed it despite its odd combat style and controls. It was fairly rough around the edges, but was a welcome change from other games of the style at that time. Didn't really get into the second one at all. The third one I should LOVE, and maybe someday I will. I think I wasn't in the mood for that style of game, genre, lore, setting, etc. when I started playing it though because I just couldn't get into it. It looked and felt great, and I found it pretty impressive. I just wasn't in the mood to play it. Luckily with Cyberpunk, I'm ALWAYS in the mood for that setting. :D Anyway, while I didn't really get into The Witcher 3, I do plan to revisit it someday when I'm in that sort of mood. I'm sure I'll enjoy it. There's honestly no reason I shouldn't other than my own goofy moods.

It's best to ignore most information about this game. It's not perfect. But it's still pretty amazing, and will only get better.

There are tons of people that really just enjoy trashing any new game that comes out. Especially big ones.

If this game was EVER something that you personally were considering, because you were excited for it or liked the idea of it, then you should probably just get it and stop listening to people bitch on Reddit.

It's not flawless, and I'm not here to tell you that it is. However, if the subject matter is something you're into, the game is cool. Period. Just needs some polish. (I guess I'll qualify that with, "if you're not on a last-gen console") :D

this is not a case of people bashing a game for no reason...there are a lot of bugs, more then the usual Day 1 bugginess...plus I'm not sure the game lived up the lofty expectations even without the bugs...in my previous post I mentioned how the backstory options don't seem anywhere close to what the developers were hyping it up to be...yes it still seems like a very good game but very flawed as well...I plan on getting it but I'm in no rush being that I'm still waiting for an Ampere card...

OP has a slow graphics card.

This game is dripping with love and soul. There is so much detail everywhere.
Granted there are innumerable bugs, I will say the pros out weigh the cons by far.

I really hope other developers take note.

Devils advocate though, it's insane that you need a literally unavailable graphics card to play it as intended.
Not CDPR's fault, but perhaps a testament to the market's appraisal of their work.

This. Whole lot of unhappy people with personal problems out there.

Christ, the game doesn't even have DRM - anyone can try it for themselves fairly easily, rather than fence-sitting for weeks looking at every youtube bug montage of the console version.

OP has a slow graphics card.

This game is dripping with love and soul. There is so much detail everywhere.
Granted there are innumerable bugs, I will say the pros out weigh the cons by far.

I really hope other developers take note.

Devils advocate though, it's insane that you need a literally unavailable graphics card to play it as intended.
Not CDPR's fault, but perhaps a testament to the market's appraisal of their work.
Is a 2080ti slow in your mind? Nice assumption. I have a high end setup and have been of gaming for decades. So no, OP has a pretty current gpu.

Is a 2080ti slow in your mind? Nice assumption. I have a high end setup and have been of gaming for decades. So no, OP has a pretty current gpu.

I also insinuated the game is intended to be played on month(s) old hardware.

But now looking back Witcher 3 ran at 60 - 70 fps @ 1440p on my old 980 ti. A card that released a month AFTER the game. CDPR are just some envelope pushing devs.

Regardless the game is ridiculously good, the level of detail is unparalleled. What is the nearest competitor Assassin's creed? RIP

High praise. No offense, but you seem to be overly critical of most games. And I've thoroughly enjoyed the game. I have encountered flaws. While those are certainly annoying, they haven't tainted my experience with the game too much. I'm by no means done with it and therefore, I'm looking forward to seeing CDPR improve it over the next few weeks to months.
I'm not overly critical, just don't give a pass for anything. People like to see everything as black and white, either total trash or perfection itself. There are just shades of grey for me, I try to avoid total trash, and the perfect game does not exist and never will.
And you can be certain I'm not giving this game a pass either I'll present its laundry list in my review as soon as I've exhausted all ending options.

Last edited:
this is not a case of people bashing a game for no reason...there are a lot of bugs, more then the usual Day 1 bugginess...plus I'm not sure the game lived up the lofty expectations even without the bugs...in my previous post I mentioned how the backstory options don't seem anywhere close to what the developers were hyping it up to be...yes it still seems like a very good game but very flawed as well...I plan on getting it but I'm in no rush being that I'm still waiting for an Ampere card...
Well, if having unreasonable expectations is a reason, then you are right. We knew damn well it was unfinished and unpolished, anyone expecting it to be bug and worry free were deluding themselves.
But I'm enjoying the game, so I'm glad they released it instead of postponing it for another 3-6 months to get it bug free.
I feel a case of Mass Effect Andromeda coming all over again. Except this time the haters are too late and can't tank sales enough to make the game a failure. The one week free for all early access demo for ME:A sealed it's fate. And peeps still think that NDAs and review embargos just exist because companies are evil. I fully believe the mob would've tanked sales of The Last of Us II as well if there were no review embargoes and restrictions in place.

Of course all that is only concerning the PC version, the PS4/XBONE version should absolutely not have been relased in its current state, and they should have delayed until at least it is playable reasonably well. IDK if this was the investors forcing CDPR's hand or themselves, but it was a stupid move to release it completely broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back