Cyberpunk 2077 gets FPS boost with a patch for AMD Ryzen CPUs

thesmokingman

Supreme [H]ardness
Apparently there is some performance left on the table on Ryzen cpus. It's kind of surprising given how long and often this game was delayed yet they miss a crucial aspect such as this... Anyways there's a hack out until a patch is released or they acknowledge it at least.

Users and reviewers noticed that Cyberpunk 2077 has problems utilizing the full potential of the AMD Ryzen CPUs, in particular the SMT (Simultaneous Multi-Threading) technology. The issue can easily be observed in Windows Task Manager, where the game is locked to the CPU’s physical cores, rather than logical. This problem is not present on the Intel processors, indicating that the code might have not been optimized for AMD CPUs.

User UnhingedDoork provided a quick solution to this problem, which appears to improve multi-threading support by the game, and as a result, increase minimum and average framerate and overall gaming experience. The solution requires a modification in the game executable file, which appears to affect how the game recognizes the CPU. Do note, it has nothing to do with kernel optimization for Intel.

It is unclear how the game, which was delayed so many times, has not been optimized for AMD Ryzen processors. Whether it was an oversight from the game developer or something that was supposed to work at launch, it remains unclear. Hopefully CD Projekt Red will be able to improve multi-threading performance and provide further optimizations for not only AMD Ryzen processors but also AMD Radeon GPUs which still lack raytracing support.
A quick guide has been provided by a Redditor chaosxk. We do not recommend tinkering with the executable files unless you are absolutely certain of what you are doing.

Step by Step:
1. Download HxD hex editor
2. Find your Cyberpunk2077.exe, i have GOG so mines was in Cyberpunk 2077binx64
3. Make a backup copy of Cyberpunk2077.exe just in case
4. Drag Cuberpunk2077.exe to HxD, a bunch of hex numbers should appear (like 01 FF 0D, etc)
5. Press CTRL+F, change column to Hex-Values
6. Put in “75 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08” in the search string without quotes, those values should be highlighted
7. Copy “EB 30 33 C9 B8 01 00 00 00 0F A2 8B C8 C1 F9 08” without quotes
8. Back in HxD right click the highlighted values and select “paste insert”
9. Now go to top bar and click the save icon logo

https://videocardz.com/newz/cyberpunk-2077-gets-fps-boost-with-a-patch-for-amd-ryzen-cpus

I tried it out, I saw a 20% increase in CPU usage, but no change in FPS.

Normal usage is around 63%, with the modded exe, it went up to 83%, but the fps hovered in the mid 70s in the apartment area. While it was nice to see more CPU usage, I did not seem to get any real benefit. Playing ultra rt settings dlss quality mode @ 1440p.

5800X & 3080. Seeing the same, much higher cpu usage but no fps benefit. Maybe better 1% lows? Not sure gameplay was smooth before & after the .exe edit.

Anyone think it’s worth running afterburner pre and post patch, log .1 & 1% lows, diff 1080p vs 1440p?

Cyberpunk 2077 4K 60+FPS HDR Ultra with fix up to 80% CPU usage on all thread ,good for those 1% Lows at 4K by 3FPS-5FPS by the looks of things . Hard to tell with all the environments.
Game is just getting better as I go a long. Do not care if it is not 100% perfect it just looks mind boggling great at times

Tried it, 3900X. Same as everyone else - saw much higher CPU usage, framerate was very similar - I think it may have been more *consistent* but it was very similar. It felt smoother in a way that I don't *think* was placebo but it wasn't much at all.

Weirdly enough loading times increased a little bit.

So with my 5800x & 3080 I was almost always gpu bound. However there were certain times, mostly in the large indoor areas where I'd see my gpu utilization drop from 99% to 85-95%. With this patch that problem has been fixed, and my gpu is locked to 99%. Even without the patch I never saw a single core pegged at 100% though. Odd behavior to be sure, hopefully they'll come out with an official patch that fixes this.

Yep, hope they have an official fix coming. I tested this on my kid's rig which is a 1600AF (tiny cpu) and a Radeon VII. Yea his system is really cpu bound compared his gpu. I'll be dropping in a 5800x for xmas. That said his rig got a 10fps increase... lol yea that cpu is really limiting.

This fix is mostly effective for people with Ryzen 3800, 3600 and older generation in general. Those CPU's get massive framerate dips in crowded areas and driving around can be very stuttery. Horrible frametimes in the city area, especially if you have RT enabled.

I noticed it has a significant effect on crowded areas in the main city. The busier ones with a lot of people was dragging my fps to sub 60, where after the fix it was back to 69 fps in the worst of spots. So looks like it does have a use. Beyond that, it does not boost the fps peaks by much in easy scenes as it is heavilly GPU bound at ultra rt and dlss quality mode.

Back