Cyberpunk 2077 Development "Quite Advanced," but Release Is Far Off

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Those of you who are waiting for CD Projekt’s next big RPG should not hold your breath, as we may not even get a release date for the title until next year. It sounds like they are pretty deep in development with 300 staff members currently crafting the game, but the company will only be promoting the new Witcher card game “Gwent” for the immediate future. Cyberpunk 2077 is described as an open-world RPG that takes place in a sci-fi metropolis controlled by mega-corporations.

…someone asked about its next RPG during the financial results conference, which got us the tiniest tidbit of insight into the next game. CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski got on stage to say progress on Cyberpunk 2077 was "quite advanced," and that the studio's biggest team comprised of "several hundred people" was working on the game. "It's really good fun for us," he said. CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński added "The project is very ambitious," pointing out that each of CD Projekt's games has been more successful than the last. "The ambitions are very voracious, so we would like to devote a lot of attention to Cyber, a lot of effort, and quite some time. So we still need some time before the game is ready."

I am dying for this game. I keep getting sad every time i read a new article and there is still no release date in sight! But, ultimately better to have a well finished product(in this day and age). Can't wait.

They can take their time to get it done right
I've yet to finish Witcher 3 ... and some other backlogs :p

Though not official, i've heard a 2019 release date, which is fine because from what i've seen of this game, if it released today, it would run about as well on a pair of 1080 TIs in SLI as Crysis 3 did on a GTX 970. The detail is staggering. CDPR is going to one-up the genre yet again from what i can tell.

Though not official, i've heard a 2019 release date, which is fine because from what i've seen of this game, if it released today, it would run about as well on a pair of 1080 TIs in SLI as Crysis 3 did on a GTX 970. The detail is staggering. CDPR is going to one-up the genre yet again from what i can tell.

Ehm...I don't think there has been any actual gameplay footage or even screenshots, has there?

Can't wait Cyberpunk 2077. The Witcher 3 is one of my favorite games ever. I do hope they make another Witcher in the future. I just love its Lore.

Witcher 3 redefined RPGs as we know it; there wasn't a single bad sidequest in the entire game. If 2077 is anywhere near as good, CDPR can take as long as they want. They've earned the benefit of the doubt.

This is something CI would say about star citizen. Of course in that case the "quite advanced" bit would be a lie. Here I have no doubt that we have a common understanding of what quite advanced is.

Weird analogy. Crysis 3 didn't break with a 970 unless I missed something... and I played it with a pair of GTX 970's and it was silky...

Ambitions, open world, no set release date except "when it's done." And yet I still think we'll see this game before we see the full release of Star Citizen

My advice for those who say stuff like this: manage YOUR expectations.

My personal expectations for Cyberpunk are low. I couldn't get into Witcher 1 or 2 and I'm wary of 3. Always disappointing to jump into something people regard so well but finding it not to your liking. Skyrim. :( But I was referring to the overall perception of CDPR, a lot of people do have high expectations for the game.

Ambitions, open world, no set release date except "when it's done." And yet I still think we'll see this game before we see the full release of Star Citizen
Probably. CDPR hasn't needed to run pledge drives, conventions, started newsletters after missing dates for everything by years, pretended that they're running a dealership for spacecraft with packages running into the 5 figure range, etc.

My personal expectations for Cyberpunk are low. I couldn't get into Witcher 1 or 2 and I'm wary of 3. Always disappointing to jump into something people regard so well but finding it not to your liking. Skyrim. :( But I was referring to the overall perception of CDPR, a lot of people do have high expectations for the game.

I agree with you. What is interesting to me in terms of Witcher 3 is that before I bought it I had 0 expectations of the game. Had never played the previous games and I am not a big RPG fan. I tried playing Skyrim but couldn't get into it which is fine. I bought Witcher 3 because it was on sale and this was shortly after the Videogame awards I think where people were bringing up how great the game was and all this stuff. I was thinking to myself that so many people are praising this game that perhaps it deserves a shot, so I bought it on sale and played it for 3 hours and couldn't get into it. Came back to it a month later and I literally could not fucking put the game down. CDPR did so much right with that game that it's hard to describe. Everything from the characters, the story, even the side quests had weight to them, the horse riding (how the horse follows the road), the map size, the density of the forest, art direction, time of day, how the NPCs you follow actually follow YOUR pace instead of having to match theirs, the music was fantastic, the monsters, combat, spells, crafting...

And ironically enough as someone who doesn't usually play RPGs I can honestly now say that Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time. That is no small statement and like others I am also very excited for Cyberpunk, but between now and then there are plenty of other games to look forward to and play so I am not going to build my expectations up to be disappointed. All I know is that Witcher 3 was so good that I will definitely pre-order Cyberpunk and any Season Pass it has b/c the Witcher 3 was phenomenally good.

Last edited:
I agree with you. What is interesting to me in terms of Witcher 3 is that before I bought it I had 0 expectations of the game. Had never played the previous games and I am not a big RPG fan. I tried playing Skyrim but couldn't get into it which is fine. I bought Witcher 3 because it was on sale and this was shortly after the Videogame awards I think where people were bringing up how great the game was and all this stuff. I was thinking to myself that so many people are praising this game that perhaps it deserves a shot, so I bought it on sale and played it for 3 hours and couldn't get into it. Came back to it a month later and I literally could not fucking put the game down. CDPR did so much right with that game that it's hard to describe. Everything from the characters, the story, even the side quests had weight to them, the horse riding (how the horse follows the road), the map size, the density of the forest, art direction, time of day, how the NPCs you follow actually follow YOUR pace instead of having to match theirs, the music was fantastic...

And ironically enough as someone who doesn't usually play RPGs I can honestly now say that Witcher 3 is my favorite game of all time. That is no small statement and like others I am also very excited for Cyberpunk, but between now and then there are plenty of other games to look forward to and play so I am not going to build my expectations up to be disappointed. All I know is that Witcher 3 was so good that I will definitely pre-order Cyberpunk and any Season Pass it has b/c the Witcher 3 was phenomenally good.

Thats great you got a good experience with Witcher. Its on my list for purchase with deep discounts cause...I just don't want to lose money on something that may turn out to not be for me.

I wish demos were still a thing. There are reviews, let's plays but I don't think anything will ever truly beat bona fide gameplay done by you. Too many games I've brought that I played for an hour and dropped, never to play again, like Skyrim, I paid $20 because everyone and their mother said it was great and I got in, and I realized it wasn't for me. (Tbh there also some games with demos that I realized were shallow and boring 30 mins after buying, but those are fewer in number)

I mean I just brought Mass Effect Andromeda because of trying it out through the Origin Access trial (I spent $5, so a $5 demo. sigh.). I brought Civ 6 cause I played the demo and I even brought DA:I after their demo came out.

Maybe its better they don't do demos anymore.

Thats great you got a good experience with Witcher. Its on my list for purchase with deep discounts cause...I just don't want to lose money on something that may turn out to not be for me.

I wish demos were still a thing. There are reviews, let's plays but I don't think anything will ever truly beat bona fide gameplay done by you. Too many games I've brought that I played for an hour and dropped, never to play again, like Skyrim, I paid $20 because everyone and their mother said it was great and I got in, and I realized it wasn't for me. (Tbh there also some games with demos that I realized were shallow and boring 30 mins after buying, but those are fewer in number)

I mean I just brought Mass Effect Andromeda because of trying it out through the Origin Access trial (I spent $5, so a $5 demo. sigh.). I brought Civ 6 cause I played the demo and I even brought DA:I after their demo came out.

Maybe its better they don't do demos anymore.

I think at a time when games were not coming out as often as they are, and the amount of games was not as high demos were a sure-fire way to get people to try your product. Now, games go on sale in record time and places like CDkeys.com and G2A.com have an advantage in selling grey market keys to folks at super cheap. I myself bought Andromeda from CDKeys.com for $47 months ago. Also, with all the sales through Steam, Origin, and others there are no reasons for demos anymore. It's possible you may not like Witcher 3, but I say next time it goes on sale to buy it. Like I said, I only bought it because it received higher than usual acclaim and come to find out it lived up to that acclaim. Sure, I have bought games I didn't like but I don't regret it because at least it supports the developer. For instance, I bought Skyrim rather recently when the Special Edition came out because i've never played it before. Friends of mine and others have put hundreds of hours into it and with multiple play-throughs. I had already beaten Witcher 3 and the expansions by the time I tried Skryim and it was just so incredibly underwhelming I quit after about 10 hours of giving it a chance. I may come back to it one day, but after playing the Witcher 3 it set the bar pretty high to me on what a fantasy RPG should be.

I don't regret buying Skyrim because I loved Fallout and it goes to the same developer and i'm okay with that. So, one way or another everything works out in my opinion.

The Witcher 3 was one of the few games I did not wait on a deep discount before purchasing, because I want to support good developers like CD Projekt Red. Dark Souls 3 was another day 1 purchase.

So my expectations are high for Cyberpunk, because I have confidence that it will not be rushed and released in an incomplete state.

I suspect they will take the time to make sure the animations aren't derpy. Unlike... you know.

I saw a brief documentary on how they animated Witcher 3 and the technology they use is pretty amazing. Most of the scenes didn't even need to be touched by an actual animator.

http://www.pcgamer.com/most-of-the-witcher-3s-dialogue-scenes-was-animated-by-an-algorithm/

Witcher 3 was one of my favorite games of all time. Also, I have a lot of respect for CDPR because of how they handled the release of the original Witcher.

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/The_Witcher:_Enhanced_Edition

Last edited:
Back