Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Again (Dec 10th now)

it
What? Here's the relevant quotes.

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/10/trancript_en.pdf

From reading the transcripts, it seems like the primary reason for the delay is bug-fixing, particularly on previous-generation consoles. To the extent they talk about MetaCritic scores, it seems they are only seriously concerned about those as far as framerate, performance, or bugs might affect them. Even with TW3 I remember there being a lot of problems with bugs on release, and this game is newer and more complex, so there might be quite a bit of bug-fixing to do.
im not really sure what you are on about. It literally says metacritic is the "main reason" they are postponing. Yes, concerns that lack of polish and bugs, would be the reason for lower scores.

it's also new. They didn't mention metacritic in their large public notice or any of the tweets I saw.

it

im not really sure what you are on about. It literally says metacritic is the "main reason" they are postponing. Yes, concerns that lack of polish and bugs, would be the reason for lower scores.

it's also new. They didn't mention metacritic in their large public notice or any of the tweets I saw.
You're reading the effect not the cause. They are delaying to fix bugs that would have otherwise trashed their metacricitc scores.

So they are delaying to fix bugs and issues. So that way those bugs and issues don't detract from their metacritic scores.

The metacritic comment seems to be in line with their earlier comment about polish and bug fixing.

Complaints about the delay will be mostly forgotten after launch but poor reviews due to a rough launch would stick around and have much more of an impact on perception of the game. I do think it's going to be almost impossible for this game to live up to the hype that's been generated so reviews could take a dramatic turn for the worse real quick if they're not careful.

Because you mischaracterized what they were trying to say.

They're essentially conveying the Miyamoto doctrine: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

Nobody whining about delays is going to not buy the game if they already care that much, and they won't care about three extra weeks once they're playing on launch day. But they sure would be screaming and review bombing if there were game breaking bugs in a November launch and CDPR said "oh yeah we knew about those but figured we'll fix them post launch". Fuck that. They'd be skinned alive. So they did the right thing.

Last edited:
Really sounds like this game would be best played after 3 - 6 months if not longer. Next Gen Console optimizations/features sound like RT will then be added which should also work with AMD 6000 series cards as well on the PC. This is one of those titles I will definitely wait on.

Really sounds like this game would be best played after 3 - 6 months if not longer. Next Gen Console optimizations/features sound like RT will then be added which should also work with AMD 6000 series cards as well on the PC. This is one of those titles I will definitely wait on.
Yeah I am hearing that ray tracing will only work on Nvidia on PC, for launch day. Next Gen consoles and maybe even Big Navi, will have to wait for a patch later on.

Because you mischaracterized what they were trying to say.

They're essentially conveying the Miyamoto doctrine: "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad".

Nobody whining about delays is going to not buy the game if they already care that much, and they won't care about three extra weeks once they're playing on launch day. But they sure would be screaming and review bombing if there were game breaking bugs in a November launch and CDPR said "oh yeah we knew about those but figured we'll fix them post launch". Fuck that. They'd be skinned alive. So they did the right thing.
If you think I mischaracterized what they said, it wasn't my intention.

I think my underlying point is that there is a reason they didn't talk about Metacritic scores in their public notice, but did talk about it to their investors. I think if they had told us this was to avoid low metacritic---I think they were trying to avoid some specific blowback by avoiding mention of it. I think they mischaracterized themselves or are at least playing a couple of different characters. Depending upon which stage they are standing on.

If you think I mischaracterized what they said, it wasn't my intention.

I think my underlying point is that there is a reason they didn't talk about Metacritic scores in their public notice, but did talk about it to their investors. I think if they had told us this was to avoid low metacritic---I think they were trying to avoid some specific blowback by avoiding mention of it. I think they mischaracterized themselves or are at least playing a couple of different characters. Depending upon which stage they are standing on.
Well if it only runs somewhat decently with Ampere high end cards with the features turned on, cards that virtually do not exist. Like crap with Turing cards and does not support next Gen Consoles with those features or looks worst with a larger supply of RNDA2 cards not able to take advantage of those features or runs worse than crap due to RTX and not RNDA2 optimization. Well even if the game kicks ass for play, the naysayers will come out crying big tears that their brand new console/GPU plays like crap when using features or not having features for cards that don't exist or are unobtainable. Then there are the PS4/Xbox One generation . . . I would have thought a staggered launch for the different platforms would have work with of course PC first :D.

Then it may support DLSS and the AMD side of things MLSS (Machine Learning Supersampling or whatever it will be actually called) it does not support . . . . That what happens when you have proprietary junk, makes it pure hell for developers.

Thinking about this delay... I realize that Projekt Red must be dissing me. I mean, they've lied, and lied and lied about the release date. The ONLY way I'll buy this with all these delays is if they are mandating Crunch Time for their employees. Fair is fair...

:) :) :)

C'mon, man. That's some good humor right there.

Im starting to believe this game is so over hyped that its going to come out and people are gonna be bored in a week of it

Im starting to believe this game is so over hyped that its going to come out and people are gonna be bored in a week of it
A real and shipped game can never match the wild imaginations many have developed in their heads for sure.

It will of course just be a game. Probably a pretty good one, but just a game all the same.

Every game with a good marketing cycle is "overhyped". This is especially true for companies that are well loved by the "hardcore" crowd. Of course the game is "overhyped", that was inevitable. I'm not seeing any evidence to say it's not still going to be a good game however.

Well if it only runs somewhat decently with Ampere high end cards with the features turned on, cards that virtually do not exist. Like crap with Turing cards and does not support next Gen Consoles with those features or looks worst with a larger supply of RNDA2 cards not able to take advantage of those features or runs worse than crap due to RTX and not RNDA2 optimization. Well even if the game kicks ass for play, the naysayers will come out crying big tears that their brand new console/GPU plays like crap when using features or not having features for cards that don't exist or are unobtainable. Then there are the PS4/Xbox One generation . . . I would have thought a staggered launch for the different platforms would have work with of course PC first :D.

Then it may support DLSS and the AMD side of things MLSS (Machine Learning Supersampling or whatever it will be actually called) it does not support . . . . That what happens when you have proprietary junk, makes it pure hell for developers.
According to CDPR, the next gen console version of the game is absolutely fine. However, it is missing Ray Tracing. That will be patched into the game later. And that apparently was always the plan.
I don't remember any specifics about how well the PC version is running. But, it will only have Ray Tracing for Nvidia, at launch. AMD ray tracing will come later in a patch. Presumably at the same time as the next gen console Ray Tracing patch.

CDPR is saying the current gen console version of the game is not up to par and they would rather make everyone wait, than do a staggered release. Which, you know, there are 100 million PS4's out there. I get it. I don't like it. But I get it.

CDPR is saying the current gen console version of the game is not up to par and they would rather make everyone wait, than do a staggered release. Which, you know, there are 100 million PS4's out there. I get it. I don't like it. But I get it.
That's a huge base that would be making lots of noise if it ran like shit, and would muddy the overall launch, since the headlines wouldn't bother to note the complaints were about a specific version.

Instead of "Cyberpunk problems on PS4?" we'd be reading "Unoptimized trash Cyberpunk runs like shit?" and PS4 would be a footnote somewhere at the bottom of the article.

HAH. HAHAHAHAHA.

yeah i'll pick up the GOTY edition for this when its actually done.
anyone remember the amount of witcher 3 patches until people liked it? anyone remember blowing out/putting the candles on fire instead of looting boxes? the movement of the character? inventory?
called it.

GameSpot
Dec 7, 2020
70/100
Your mileage may vary, but in our experience, the bugs are obtrusive and substantial across the board, often forcing us to reload saves or exit the game entirely. It's hard to get really into a world you constantly have to leave.

called it.

GameSpot
Dec 7, 2020
70/100
Your mileage may vary, but in our experience, the bugs are obtrusive and substantial across the board, often forcing us to reload saves or exit the game entirely. It's hard to get really into a world you constantly have to leave.

Yeah, I'm leaning on waiting for a good 6 months to actually pick it up and try it. I'm sure it will be a fantastic game...a year from now.

uh oh, Taco...

1607390726212.png

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I'll wait for the GOTY type release. I'm doing another trek through Witcher 3 and the GOTY version doesn't recognize saves from the original+expansions. I had to start fresh instead of New Game+. Poor me...

called it.

GameSpot
Dec 7, 2020
70/100
Not surprising. They had so much confidence in their game they restricted reviewers from showing how bad the current state of the game is.

Plenty of reviews are higher. I'd assume official drivers and without the DRM (they claim it hurts performance) will help performance and stability some. And I assume they have a day 2/3/whatever patch that will be along shortly. Worst case, this takes a few weeks to get it to where it should be.

DE Mankind Divided and Horizon Zero Dawn were practically unplayable but ended up being good games in the end. Although MD took some months if I recall to get it working right. I'm thinking it will be best to wait a good 4-6 weeks to play this.

Horizon Zero Dawn were practically unplayable but ended up being good games in the end.
Horizon Zero Dawn wasn't perfect at launch, but it was perfectly playable. Way too much mountain/molehill FUD surrounding that launch.

Outrage culture doesn't see shades of grey, its either 10/10, or anecdotal "OMG WTF FAIL a guy on Reddit said it crashes to desktop on a Ryzen board with a beta bios", there's no in-between anymore.

Horizon Zero Dawn wasn't perfect at launch, but it was perfectly playable. Way too much mountain/molehill FUD surrounding that launch.

Outrage culture doesn't see shades of grey, its either 10/10, or anecdotal "OMG WTF FAIL a guy on Reddit said it crashes to desktop on a Ryzen board with a beta bios", there's no in-between anymore.

It was good after patch 5 (if I recall) as I played it with minimal issues. But no shortage of others on this forum who had constant crashing with earlier builds. I'd say that is pretty bad.

I assume this will be the same deal. A good 2-3 weeks to get the game mostly patched, another 3 or so to get it where it should be. Which should be unacceptable, but sadly is fairly common. May as well just wait a few weeks. Especially if you plan to upgrade to a as of yet mostly unavailable new GPU.

Horizon was playable on day 1, but it was also definitely unstable. That game pushes system hard even now, so I also think some of the crashes were people realizing their hardware wasn't stable, too. You can put me in that camp :) At this point the game is pretty bulletproof otherwise. If Cyberpunk can become as polished as Horizon is right now in 3 months I'd consider that a win, honestly. If you look at the comparable Bethesda, EA, Rockstar, and previous CDPR open-world games that seems par for the course. I figure we need to keep expectations reasonable for something this large.

Reactions: DPI
like this
there's a difference between playable and buggy...lots of buggy games are technically playable but if it ruins the immersion and the overall experience then it's not worth playing until it gets a few patches

Horizon: Zero Dawn was not playable on day 1 for me. I literally couldn't get past the opening cinematic and to the main menu without it crashing. When I finally found out how to skip the cinematic, it crashed every 10 minutes or less so I just gave the fuck up.

It took 3 or 4 patches till it was stable enough to attempt getting past the tutorial area and it wasn't till patch 1.07 that they got rid of that annoying fucking stutter.

Smooth as butter now though.

Horizon: Zero Dawn was not playable on day 1 for me. I literally couldn't get past the opening cinematic and to the main menu without it crashing. When I finally found out how to skip the cinematic, it crashed every 10 minutes or less so I just gave the fuck up.

It took 3 or 4 patches till it was stable enough to attempt getting past the tutorial area and it wasn't till patch 1.07 that they got rid of that annoying fucking stutter.

Smooth as butter now though.

HZD was playable and perfectly stable on launch day.

Are you referring to the PC port version?

CDPR to release a 69 GB patch v1. 2 that fixes almost all the reported, though not shown, issues:
jesus

69GB isn't bugfixes, like how much crap content did they have to finalize before printing the discs. Luckily Sony either fixed it's CDN, or fixed the ps5 networking or that would be an annoying download. I was pulling 30 or 40MBs yesterday.

Seems like I should just delete my pre-load if that is the case. That's more than the size of the pre-load.

Seems like I should just delete my pre-load if that is the case. That's more than the size of the pre-load.
You may still need the preload for whatever patches they release so I wouldn't do that but I don't think the "69GB" day one patch is a thing...

...did anyone actually read what Meeho posted?

HZD was playable and perfectly stable on launch day.

Are you referring to the PC port version?
Yes.
Was there any point where we were not talking about the PC port?

------
Back to Cyberpunk. Preloading a game for me usually takes longer to unlock than it does to just download the game anew, so I'm gonna wait to even start the download till after the patch hits.

Probably gonna get the game at launch, laugh at a few bugs and then wait a few months before I actually play it.

This. The biggest issue nowadays being that reviews aren't reviews - they're clickbait bullshit.
Why some shit-tier Youtubers like LegacyKillaHD even get review copies is a complete mystery to me.

I still think there is value in getting actual footage of the game exactly as it is at launch.
If the game isn't ready to be shown to the public, then it needs to be delayed.
Sending out review copies and then immediately dropping 50+ GiB patche(s) on Day-1 just smells of an unfinished product.

I know nobody here has a crystal ball, but using Witcher 3 as a comparison, approx how long do folks think it'll take CDPR to polish Cyberpunk up so it's stable and optimized? I am thinking I'll just hold off on buying it until middle of next year. By then I hope the GPU availability issues will have sorted themselves out as well so I can build a new rig with a good NVIDIA or AMD card, one that can power 4k at a fast refresh rate (120hz?) on a monitor like the LG CX48, which is the one I have my eye on buying around that same time frame.

Does summer of 2021 sound like a reasonable time to wait for these to sort themselves out?

Thanks.

I know nobody here has a crystal ball, but using Witcher 3 as a comparison, approx how long do folks think it'll take CDPR to polish Cyberpunk up so it's stable and optimized? I am thinking I'll just hold off on buying it until middle of next year. By then I hope the GPU availability issues will have sorted themselves out as well so I can build a new rig with a good NVIDIA or AMD card, one that can power 4k at a fast refresh rate (120hz?) on a monitor like the LG CX48, which is the one I have my eye on buying around that same time frame.

Does summer of 2021 sound like a reasonable time to wait for these to sort themselves out?

Thanks.
On one hand, they were hard at fixing bugs most of this year and it wasn't enough as it's still in a very bad shape, with the forced release for the holiday season not helping. But, this is their all or nothing project and they will keep most of their resources on fixing it. The game has a good chance of being polished enough in half a year. Will it live up to other expectations will be what matters in the end. The good thing is we'll have both of the answers by then.

Back