Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Again (Dec 10th now)

Wonder how much MS or Sony paid for the delay
Probably nothing. If anything they are pissed because this title would of been close to launch of the new consoles. If anything they are really pissed off, why would they give them money for a game they expected people to play on new consoles around launch lol.

Wow people are mad they took time off to play a video game and it's delayed now. Talk about first world problems.

You should of seen the pitchforks when they delayed the World Of Warcraft expansion. You would think the world was ending or something!

Reactions: cvinh
like this
I'm completely surprised that people still preorder games and don't wait a few months for them to drop in price which they all inevitably do.

Well, with everything we know about what CD Projekt Red has already said in their latest "We must delay the game" take I look at this from 2 angles. The first angle is they are releasing this on 9 different platforms and it seems they need to develop a Day 1 patch for all 9 platforms. Which is weird because one is Google Stadia and when you're releasing on a streaming platform just give them the version with the day 1 patch baked in. When you're having to develop a Day 1 patch over 9 platforms (especially when each patch might fix a similar but different set of bugs and glitches for each one) that is very time consuming. I don't at all envy what their dev teams are going through. In the end though, CDPR just wants to get this as right as possible for all of us. Also, the rumor that a CDPR dev clocked in a 100 hour work week recently? If true? Yikes! That's maximum overkill right there. The second angle is...nVIDIA GeForce RTX 30 series video cards. The fact that these cards (which will probably play the game at its very best) still are readily available only to bot wielding scalpers well...do not think that CDPR hasn't noticed because if they haven't they are completely senseless to the outside world! They have to have noticed and I'm going to float this out there...they might be buying time for nVIDIA to get their inventory situation with the entire RTX 30 series settled before release so many people outside of the bot wielding scalper community can get the card to play their game but even CDPR knows...they can only buy nVIDIA so much time. The one thing that'll be sad about Cyberpunk 2077 is that this is a prestige game at its heart (prestige game = game you send to various media organization [GDC, BAFTAs, Game Awards, etc.] for end of year game awards) . This game now with the new release date qualifies for 2021's awards not 2020's. I think if this gets pushed into next year's end of year awards season it might just be forgotten when the time comes. That's is what is on my mind and until next time I am out!

Just heard about people sending death threats to CD Project Red developers about the delay of CP2077. Gee, I wish my life was so perfect that I could complain about the delay of a fucking video game!

People have lost their ever loving minds! What a bunch of self entitled LOSERS.

ElZCcPdXgAIORfs.jpeg

Better delayed than to push their employee's to work overtime. I'm personally in no hurry to play a flawed game, or a game built on overworked employees.

Just heard about people sending death threats to CD Project Red developers about the delay of CP2077. Gee, I wish my life was so perfect that I could complain about the delay of a fucking video game!

People have lost their ever loving minds! What a bunch of self entitled LOSERS.

There is a difference between trolling/lashing out, and credible real death threats. It makes me wonder how many of these death threats are actual old school death threats, or if they are largely just internet garbage that people count as death threats?

There is a difference between trolling/lashing out, and credible real death threats. It makes me wonder how many of these death threats are actual old school death threats, or if they are largely just internet garbage that people count as death threats?

Why does it matter? Is it suddenly acceptable and alright because it's not credible?

That's like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater & then proclaiming that you were just "Trolling". Either way you're going to jail.

Well they are blaming the delay on having to test the game on 9 different release systems, and a few of them giving them more problems than they had anticipated so at least they are trying.

Well they are blaming the delay on having to test the game on 9 different release systems, and a few of them giving them more problems than they had anticipated so at least they are trying.
I bet it has to do with Ray Tracing implementation or lack thereof.

They probably had to code two versions of the game, one for the current gen consoles and one for the upcoming consoles.

They probably had to code two versions of the game, one for the current gen consoles and one for the upcoming consoles.

Yeah. Rumors state that they're having a lot of performance issues with the current consoles. Sounds like PC and next gen stuff is ready to go.

Why does it matter? Is it suddenly acceptable and alright because it's not credible?
That's like yelling fire in a crowded movie theater & then proclaiming that you were just "Trolling". Either way you're going to jail.

You both have your panties in a bunch, I'm not saying anything about it being acceptable.

All I posted was a question in regards to how many death threats are legitimate, versus conflation of internet asshattery.

Krenum that's a massive conflation, there is a vast difference between yelling fire in a crowded building and writing something terrible on twitter.

Krenum that's a massive conflation, there is a vast difference between yelling fire in a crowded building and writing something terrible on twitter.
Is there? There have been multiple people who have made death threats on platforms like Facebook and then gone through with them. Most of the school shooters, especially the students posted similar threats.

The cops take this stuff seriously now, because they have to. How can you know the difference between “I’m just running my mouth” and “I have purchased my gun and I’m going to act” when literally the words are the same?

The thing about death threats is you have no idea who is making them. You can't dismiss them as you just don't know if they're credible or not. "Don't make death threats" should be such an easy thing to get behind.

That said, I'm not too surprised it was delayed again. C'est la vie. Hopefully, they can stick to this release date. And if not, I'll just wait longer, lol.

Is there? There have been multiple people who have made death threats on platforms like Facebook and then gone through with them. Most of the school shooters, especially the students posted similar threats.

The cops take this stuff seriously now, because they have to. How can you know the difference between “I’m just running my mouth” and “I have purchased my gun and I’m going to act” when literally the words are the same?
yes there is. Yelling fire in a crowded building more likely than not causes stampedes and trampling deaths.

Posting threats online is par for the course in the sludge pool that is social media. A fraction of a fraction of a percent are acted on.

Vast difference, and investigation (which should absolutely occur) does not change the underlying stats.

yes there is. Yelling fire in a crowded building more likely than not causes stampedes and trampling deaths.

Posting threats online is par for the course in the sludge pool that is social media. A fraction of a fraction of a percent are acted on.

Vast difference, and investigation (which should absolutely occur) does not change the underlying stats.
You can't take a stats based approach when dealing with threats. There isn't a single time in which anyone will accept "stats" for the police or otherwise responding to a threat. If at any point, heaven forbid, your family or someone you know becomes "a stat" as a result of someone threatening them online and then something happens - you'll change your tune.
Every time people don't respond to a threat and something is carried out, immediately we look at what proactive steps could have been done, and basically most of the time it's taking stuff like this seriously.
Esesntially this is how Pearl Harbor and 9/11 both could have been avoided. We heard a threat and didn't think it was possible. And again, like I metioned before with school shootings and basically every whack job with a manifesto.

Bottom line is it isn't acceptable behavior. And accepting it because it's online isn't the correct answer. If the same level of accountability was placed on people online as would happen in person people would shape up really quick. If for no other reason that in a real life situation you run your mouth you have a chance of getting smacked in the face.

Your point may be that it's not feasilbe to track everyone down and that's a different matter - but we're not even talking about that yet. We're only at the level of talking about what is "right" and/or what should be the expectations of our society. And even if we take zero legal action or police action in those situations, we'd be better served if there are consequences. I'm good with perma-banning every one of those folks off twitter. And off of any digital platform where they continue that behavior. Much like the proverbial screaming in a crowded movie theater their voice isn't useful or good in any sense. Free speech may be guranteed by the constitution of the United States, but not necessarily on any of these platforms. They're free to yell obsenities and all of their garbage and vitriol at home.

You can't take a stats based approach when dealing with threats. There isn't a single time in which anyone will accept "stats" for the police or otherwise responding to a threat. If at any point, heaven forbid, your family or someone you know becomes "a stat" as a result of someone threatening them online and then something happens - you'll change your tune.
Every time people don't respond to a threat and something is carried out, immediately we look at what proactive steps could have been done, and basically most of the time it's taking stuff like this seriously.
Esesntially this is how Pearl Harbor and 9/11 both could have been avoided. We heard a threat and didn't think it was possible. And again, like I metioned before with school shootings and basically every whack job with a manifesto.

Bottom line is it isn't acceptable behavior. And accepting it because it's online isn't the correct answer. If the same level of accountability was placed on people online as would happen in person people would shape up really quick. If for no other reason that in a real life situation you run your mouth you have a chance of getting smacked in the face.

Your point may be that it's not feasilbe to track everyone down and that's a different matter - but we're not even talking about that yet. We're only at the level of talking about what is "right" and/or what should be the expectations of our society. And even if we take zero legal action or police action in those situations, we'd be better served if there are consequences. I'm good with perma-banning every one of those folks off twitter. And off of any digital platform where they continue that behavior. Much like the proverbial screaming in a crowded movie theater their voice isn't useful or good in any sense. Free speech may be guranteed by the constitution of the United States, but not necessarily on any of these platforms. They're free to yell obsenities and all of their garbage and vitriol at home.

You seem to want something deeper and a bit of a tangent to my original post, I'm going to let that slide as it isn't the thread.

Yeah. Rumors state that they're having a lot of performance issues with the current consoles. Sounds like PC and next gen stuff is ready to go.
That's odd when you consider the PC requirements and recommendations is pretty weak.

Wow people are mad they took time off to play a video game and it's delayed now. Talk about first world problems.

And this is why you should never do that. Over the years I've seen it countless times. Even for the release of mods, back when total conversions were still being made. Even if it does release on time, the chance of there being notable bugs day 1-2 is pretty big. If you're on a short 7 day window for a game of this size, those 1-2 days means a lot. But if you just wait a week, chances are the game will be fine unless its very buggy.

All that being said, big delays are not unusual. Many games get delayed a year, with more delays. Often times they end up being good, other times they end up being half baked like STALKER. I do think this will be fairly polished at release. Not perfect, but nothing major. They're shaping this up to be one of the biggest games of the decade.
Probably nothing. If anything they are pissed because this title would of been close to launch of the new consoles. If anything they are really pissed off, why would they give them money for a game they expected people to play on new consoles around launch lol.

If anything you'd want to release it a bit later. Day 1 there will only be a few million consoles in the wild. Better to wait when there are 20 million units sold for a bigger base.

I remember when Witcher 3 came out, there were all kinds of bugs on release that got fixed as time went on. Most people seem to have forgotten those by now. With this game being more ambitious, there's probably quite a few bugs CDPR still needs to fix.

I'd honestly prefer them to delay it even longer just to let their teams fix them without the crunch. Everybody seems to want to make that political, but the long-term end-result of companies requiring unreasonable crunch is game developers unionizing as the pendulum swings way into the other direction.

A transcript from an Investors call after the delay, shows CDPR telling investors that the primary reason they delayed the game, is due to concerns about Metacritic scores. They would rather be embarrassed now with a delay, than embarassed after a release. They also tried to downplay crunch by saying its not actually that bad.

Reactions: Meeho
like this
A transcript from an Investors call after the delay, shows CDPR telling investors that the primary reason they delayed the game, is due to concerns about Metacritic scores. They would rather be embarrassed now with a delay, than embarassed after a release. They also tried to downplay crunch by saying its not actually that bad.

What? Here's the relevant quotes.

MN: So, when it comes to Metacritic, we continuously aim at a 90+ game, so nothing has changed here; this remains the goal and, as Adam mentioned, this is actually the main reason for postponing the release. We want to give the game an extra polish; we’d rather be slightly ashamed right now in front of you than be ashamed in front of the players once the game releases. In terms of average selling price, whether it’s going to be somewhat more aggressive – the answer is no. This was not the plan when we were planning to launch on November 19, and it’s still not the plan for the December 10 launch. We believe we have a premium title that’s coveted by the players and we don’t need to offer any extra incentives – I think everybody who is going to be working on selling this game, in retail and on digital platforms, is going to be happy with what the game can make once it starts selling.
MN: I’ll start with the release date: we have not considered splitting the release; we’re big believers in serving everything at the same time. It’s much more reasonable from the perspective of how the team operates and it’s also convenient from the marketing perspective. So the answer here is no. You also mentioned that the game is prepared for next-gen. I would instead say that it’s ready to be played on next-gen – that’s an important distinction because our true next-gen version is going to come later. But yes; the game can be played and I just wanted to make sure that’s not misunderstood. Now, about optimization and so on – games of such complexity and magnitude always have some bugs upon release. This is understood; it’s commonplace – anybody who has played any game out there, like GTA, RDR, The Witcher 3 – any of the big games – knows there are bound to be some bugs. It’s more about the scale and the quantity of these bugs, and it’s really the only issue we’re facing – so of course we’re going to continue improving and working on the game once it launches, as was the case with The Witcher 3 – as everybody knows – but when it comes to the launch moment, we want people to not be pestered by something that is going to be truly problematic for them; we want them to avoid those kinds of situations; we want them to enjoy their arrival in Night City – so, coming back to your question, yes, it’s basically optimization and all the challenges related to that. There’s no other “hidden story” here.
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/wp-content/uploads-en/2020/10/trancript_en.pdf

From reading the transcripts, it seems like the primary reason for the delay is bug-fixing, particularly on previous-generation consoles. To the extent they talk about MetaCritic scores, it seems they are only seriously concerned about those as far as framerate, performance, or bugs might affect them. Even with TW3 I remember there being a lot of problems with bugs on release, and this game is newer and more complex, so there might be quite a bit of bug-fixing to do.

Back