CyberPower Systems CP1285AVRLCD UPS Reconditioned - $70 + $12 s&h, @Frys

Well they have the 1500VA/900W reconditioned for $84.99 + 12.44 shipping as well.

Either is a steal. I bought th 1285AVR over a year ago and its been great. The PowerPanel app has worked in my Vista 64 install with no problems.

http://www.frys.com/product/5525750
Shipping is $12 to VA 23607, so $82. Not shabby at all!! :):cool:

LOL they had 3 of the model above it for 85 each 102 shipped with tax, those are 1500va/900w They just arrived and they are very very veyr nice units...

I have a folding farm www.hardfolding.com thus 4 computers on 2 of these for the farm and another for my ps3, and E6600, router, dsl modem etc...

Great deals if you find them!

Hows the quality on these compared to say, APC. Do they act as power filters? (aka, feed the battery from the wall, and then always feed your components clean power from the battery?)

Hows the quality on these compared to say, APC. Do they act as power filters? (aka, feed the battery from the wall, and then always feed your components clean power from the battery?)

Yes to your second part, plus they are AVR. From reviews I have found they seem pretty good as compared to Tripplite and APC.

Can't you get this price from Belkin.com using that 54321 (or is it 12345) code?

How do the units compare?

The biggest question is if the AVR uses battery power. If it doesn't it's not too helpful.
The highest end models from most UPS makes can do AVR without battery use
(just uses the transformer somehow).

I ordered one of the 1500VA units. I've been waiting to find a deal on one.

I have one of the 1500va units and have had it for a few years, works great and never had an issue with it.

FYI, APC is overrated for their smaller stuff, most of it is made by other companies including Tripplite and Cyberpower I believe. If you compare some of their smaller units they are identical to Tripplite/Cyberpower units.

Thanks posterChild for the link to the 1500VA model and to the OP for the original thread! In for 1...

Can't you get this price from Belkin.com using that 54321 (or is it 12345) code?

How do the units compare?

Not sure how they compare but the codes you posted don't seem to do anything... :(

How long would you guess the battery in this unit will last while still providing at least 5-10 minutes of battery power at ~500W?

How long would you guess the battery in this unit will last while still providing at least 5-10 minutes of battery power at ~500W?
i get 17 minutes at load with about a 330 watt draw. :)

i get about 1 hour with a 99 watt draw with my 37 inch westy set to 20 backlight, router, and cable modem.

I meant, how many years should I expect the battery to hold its charge enough to still provide at least 5-10 minutes of battery power at ~500W?

Shows $23.90 shipping for Northern California. Odd, when there are 2 Fry's within 30 min of me. Perhaps they warehouse on the east coast.

Shows $23.90 shipping for Northern California. Odd, when there are 2 Fry's within 30 min of me. Perhaps they warehouse on the east coast.

Yea showed $24 shipping for me too to Washington...

I've been thinking of picking up a UPS for a while.. :eek:

In for the 1500VA. I've been thinking I really should get one of these for a while now. Now I'll have one. Yay.

I have 3 installed and used right now and they all work well, I love the fact that it tells you what you are using wattage wise!!! Would be nice if it had more sockets, but adding a cheap power strip solves that. Overall a great value at 84 bucks.

The specs say "converts into a consistent sinewave" but there's no way these units are true sinewave output - those kinds of models are typically multiple hundreds of dollars.

Anyone know what battery type it uses? I really like to standardize on RBC2
Some research shows it might use UB1290 which is the 9 amp hour version of the UB1280 (7ah) which is an RBC2 (all the same dimensions, just slightly different amp capacities)
So it might indeed be able to use the RBC2 batteries.

Staples has a nice photo http://www.staples.com/sbd/img/cat/enl/s0141377_enl.jpg

Oh and this is EXACTLY what I wanted to see in the specs - the sign of a good model - no battery use for AVR:
The automatic voltage regulation (AVR) will step up low voltages to safe output levels without resorting to battery power.

Thanks for sharing this OP ;)

I've been considering one of these units for awhile now, and have always been convinced to take APC driection instead, but this looks hard to pass up. I think i'm going to check out Fry's today and see if they might actually have these in-store. maybe at a differnt price :eek:

I currently have one of these Belkin Surge Cable organizing concealers: http://www.belkin.com/surgeprotection/concealed/

You guys think it'd be safe to connect one of these to it? I'm still kind of new to this, so my apologies in advance if that was a total newbie question. Appreciate the time though ;)

Thanks for sharing this OP ;)

I've been considering one of these units for awhile now, and have always been convinced to take APC driection instead, but this looks hard to pass up. I think i'm going to check out Fry's today and see if they might actually have these in-store. maybe at a differnt price :eek:

I currently have one of these Belkin Surge Cable organizing concealers: http://www.belkin.com/surgeprotection/concealed/

You guys think it'd be safe to connect one of these to it? I'm still kind of new to this, so my apologies in advance if that was a total newbie question. Appreciate the time though ;)
i thijnk i read something on my packaging on the 1500va or in the instructions that a power strip should not be plugged into the ups. dunno, anyone else have any idea?

Yeah I think you're right, plus, I don't think I would mess with this surge with another. I think the only reason why I asked is because I just read a review on one of these units, one person complained the amount of ports wasn't enough, so they added an old power strip to it. eh, either way, i'm against it. and knowing the box said (above), wouldn't think of getting close to it. Thanks for the confirmation :)

Some more stock photos of the 1500VA unit, for anyone interested:

2cp1500avrlcdvz9.jpg
2cp1500avrlcdreargr5.jpg
2lcdxx4.jpg

oh yeah, forgot to add, is this unit quiet/silent?
its silent until the battery comes on, then its fairly noticeable, but nothing too bad. a dvd burner at 16x is comparable if not louder than the ups.

crappy shots of mine with the camera phone. mine doesn't have a lcd but for the price it was fine, its identical in every other way ;). the sticker sure is a pain to peel off.

SSPX0032.jpg

SSPX0031.jpg

SSPX0030.jpg

SSPX0029.jpg

1285 Model: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...D.html?selectedTabId=overview&imageI=#tab-box
1500: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/pr...?selectedTabId=specifications&imageI=#tab-box

To compare, the 1500 is $160 on Newegg.

My question, how much will the 1500 increase runtime over the 1285, let's say on 500 watts? Don't really see anything handy on their website a "runtime calculator".

And another question: True UPS?
I know APC's smaller models just pass the wall power straight through, and then switches it over to battery when the power is gone (not always flowing through the battery), which some equipment doesn't like.

Edit- found this on the 1500:
runtime.jpg

Close to Full load the run time is 4 minutes, LOL enough for things to shut down, but damn that's not very long, but I love the units... The Wattage meter is awesome!

Bought 3 of the 1500...
One for each desktop system (one right now unprotected and the other has cheap APC that battery part don't work), and one for the TV/Xbox/etc.

Nice find OP! I picked up the 1500 model for my PC and NAS. Looks like it should work really well.

I meant, how many years should I expect the battery to hold its charge enough to still provide at least 5-10 minutes of battery power at ~500W?

That's dependant on a lot of variables. How old the battery is, how it's rated at that load, etc etc.

Master Tactician was my name in Everquest. Character: Zyam. Any connection?

Isn't it good to test these things once a month? I.E. Drain the batteries? I would think it would be like any rechargeable battery deal out there, drain the battery nearest you can to empty and then cut the power back on and let it charge up for 9hrs or whatever it takes...

Isn't it good to test these things once a month? I.E. Drain the batteries? I would think it would be like any rechargeable battery deal out there, drain the battery nearest you can to empty and then cut the power back on and let it charge up for 9hrs or whatever it takes...

Well- if you look in the specs it actually self-tests itself.

And most modern batteries don't have the "memory effect" anymore, which means draining them down won't help you out at all.
Not sure if this applies to these batteries, however, but I'd highly doubt it (who wants to go through that trouble)??

That's dependant on a lot of variables. How old the battery is, how it's rated at that load, etc etc.

Master Tactician was my name in Everquest. Character: Zyam. Any connection?

Nope. I never played Everquest, not to mention the fact that I'm not much into MMOs as a whole.

Back