CyberPower Intelligent LCD 1350VA UPS

Jay_2

2[H]4U
Anyone using one of these devices in their setup? What do you think of it?

w0254343_newpage.jpg

I use one for my file server and vm host. I have the USB cable connected to my file server. When the file server shuts down due to low battery it logs into my vm host via ssh and shuts it down, and then shuts itself down. I get about 25-35 minutes of run time.

I am looking at putting...

1 x HP ProCurve 1810-24 switch
1 x DL145 2 x Opti 280 2 x SATA disks
1 x QNAP 439 Pro II+ NAS
1 x Cisco 1841 Router
1 x Draytek 2820 Router

I have the 1500VA, its works great and I also use the usb connection for Server08R2 shutdown. JohnYYC, how did you get it to shutdown multiple computers, this is something I want to get working next.

Just FYI, the lcd that shows power draw is only somewhat accurate. From my limited testing is seems that it is not very granular so a small load might draw 30W and if you add another 30W to that it might read 52W then another 30W might read 106W or something. Its like its trying to fake 1W resolution but really is only 10-15W

Is the LCD on all the time?

I have the 1500VA, its works great and I also use the usb connection for Server08R2 shutdown. JohnYYC, how did you get it to shutdown multiple computers, this is something I want to get working next.

Just FYI, the lcd that shows power draw is only somewhat accurate. From my limited testing is seems that it is not very granular so a small load might draw 30W and if you add another 30W to that it might read 52W then another 30W might read 106W or something. Its like its trying to fake 1W resolution but really is only 10-15W

what do you have running off it?

To get other servers to shutdown you can write a script to either ssh in to Linux boxes and shut them down or to run a scheduled task on a windows PC to shutdown the box.

Last edited:

Both my machines are Ubuntu. So I just wrote a script that logins in to the other via ssh and issues the "sudo shutdown -h now" command. It actually logs into all my linux vm's first and then the host. Don't want to corrupt my vm's :)

I use alot of Cyberpower units. Seems just as good as APC. Lower cost. Have got a few DOA, but support or Newegg return have been great.

Both my machines are Ubuntu. So I just wrote a script that logins in to the other via ssh and issues the "sudo shutdown -h now" command. It actually logs into all my linux vm's first and then the host. Don't want to corrupt my vm's :)

yes I was thinking of doing something like this with a quick bat script and telnet over the LAN but how do you tell the difference between a normal shutdown and a shutdown due to low battery. I guess I could figure out a way to check the battery status and only run it if the battery is less than X percent

I use alot of Cyberpower units. Seems just as good as APC. Lower cost. Have got a few DOA, but support or Newegg return have been great.

i'm attached to APC, i used to love always on, fixing them was great and they were build / designed well. NOW i love my apc products.

DSCN2895.JPG

1500-3.jpg

We're running one of these 3000VA units at work:
pr3000lcdrtxl2U-rightangle.jpg

And so far so good.

We are powering:
4x Cisco 2960 switch
1x Cisco 2921 router
1x Cisco 3560V2 switch
1x IBM pedestal sever
1x Motorola Wireless antenna

I am sure you will like it. I have a lot of them. For the price they are great, 1/2 the price of APC

We have a saying at work : friends don't let friends buy Cyberpower.
I'm with the APC crowd - you get what you pay for. There is a reason Cyberpowers are half the cost of APC. I had too many of them fail at my last job (onsite systems admin for various companies) and now I only work with APC - far fewer issues and problems, especially software related on a SMB/enterprise level.

I'm with the APC crowd - you get what you pay for. There is a reason Cyberpowers are half the cost of APC. I had too many of them fail at my last job (onsite systems admin for various companies) and now I only work with APC - far fewer issues and problems, especially software related on a SMB/enterprise level.

This is for home. I would never use this for enterprise, APC for me at that level.

I use Cyberpower at all my business. Replaced some APC with them. I haven't had any fail on the job. Have had a few DOA but newegg or cyberpower RMA right away.

I have had more APC fail in production then Cyberpower. Use to use alot of APC but hard to sell $500 battery backups just to have to replace battery at a cost of $200.

What kind of issues did you have? They're just not reliable and break often?

Back