cyberpower cps1500avr cuts out on overload on barttery

thax

Gawd
Ok i have a cyberpower cps1500avr that i have had for about 5 years and it runs fine on main power but only runs for mabay 5 mim whit a 65% load before it cuts out on over load i think(the led lights for load goes up to max and it beeps) I read the V on my batteries and under load they are 12.3, 12.2, 12 and 11.9. i have 24.2v one both sets under load(it has 2 sets of 24v in parallel). My clamp on meeter is showing about 10amp draw form both banks of batteries, temp of the ups is showing about 100 when its on battery power. and if i load it up to 85%+ the sec it goes to battery power my tv cuts out then comes back on then the ups goes down when it tries to come back on.

what could be causing this? does it sound like bad batteries or maybe i should open the case up and see if its just full of dust( when i pull the battery compartment out there was a lot of that heavy type of dust. any suggestions on what to do?

Its out of warrany (3 years) so a careful opening it up and blowing out the dust cannot hurt. A small 1 inch paintbrush is handy for getting dust out of heatsinks and off of the board mounted components.

The loaded voltages unfortunately do not tell me much about the state of charge. Need the voltage measurement on the battery fully charged (just disconnect the ups from load for overnight) and the open circuit (no load, not connected to ups internals - just pull the battery connectors off) battery voltage.

But after 5 years and since they are gel pack sealed with no way to get a hydrometer reading (the best way to check a battery) I think its a pretty safe bet you need a new set.

My other tip that new batteries are needed is the fact that is apparently is trying work and you imply it does work under a light load. (try just a 100W light bulb in a lamp as a load) So I want to think the electronics are ok, just starved for juice under heavier loads. Or, I could be entirely wrong /shrug.

ok its not the battery, i changed them and it did the same stuff. well just for the hell of it i opened it up and the 2 transformers where hot (burn you hot if you let you finger on them) so i ringed up a new top for the ups and put 3 120mm fans on it and i just tested it i got 17 mim out of it before the battery was gone. so what would cause it to get so hot now? transformers going bad?

Back