Cyber Monday Is Now Pretty Pointless

HardOCP News

[H] News
What do you guys think? Is Cyber Monday pointless now? If you ask me, I still look forward to Cyber Monday every year but fatigue does set in as Black Friday sales start earlier and earlier every year.

Since 2005, Cyber Monday has been the end of Thanksgiving week, as office workers’ brains haven’t quite returned to work, and they use the time to shop online. At least, this is what online retailers must themselves as they schedule sales and other promotions for the additional shopping holiday. Yet is Cyber Monday still a thing, or do we all have shopping holiday fatigue by the time it comes around?

Well, in their effort to constantly get ahead of each other, the retailers consistently destroy any tradition related to shopping. So the dates will change, someone will come up with a new name, and the process will repeat for as long as it is sustainable.

But I do know that I have one item on my wish list and I have a price I will pay. I have yet to find the item at the right price so I haven't bought even if I am getting tired of looking and waiting.

My luck, by the time the item drops to where I want it, something new will replace it and then my choices will be more difficult.

I looked at all those Cyber Monday deals and was generally left unimpressed. I tend to go high end with electronics though, which "mysteriously" weren't discounted. This time of year brings out the absolute worst in people though.

Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Cyber Monday (and all days inbetween) have since been combined into one big time period of eating, farting, and shopping from your couch under the false hope that you will get a good deal.

I didn't see anything special in the emails I got. The stores weren't packed either. I think there are a lot more broke people than we realize.

Not sure if it's different in the US, but the Cyber Monday deals in Canada are pretty shitty. Now that I think about it, the Black Friday deals weren't all that special either...

A bunch of e-tailers just had Black Friday cyber deals, defeating the purpose of Cyber Monday.

Well, I bought 2 items Friday and a few more today. I did save a bit on what I bought, but they weren't stellar deals. I figure, at this point, it's just a shopping week. I think you can still poach good prices on specific items if you're in the market for them. Seems to me, year to year, I'm not in the market much for consumer goods.

I didn't see anything special in the emails I got. The stores weren't packed either. I think there are a lot more broke people than we realize.

Yeah, I'm amazed at how empty the malls were on Saturday and Sunday. Either people have learned how to shop online, or they're all broke. I'm hoping it's the former :D

I went to While Marsh Mall Saturday, and Arundel Mill Mall Sunday, and both had no more than normal traffic in the afternoon. In years past, I've avoided both after Turkey Day.

Also, the biggest deals surrounding these big sales days tend to be consoles and TVs, something I don't buy in mass quantities.

No, my shopping for the last week (GF birthday next week) was all done on Amazon. Saved 16 bucks buying both new Pokemon games on release day through Prime. That 20% savings on release-day games alone has paid for 1/3 of my Prime bill :D

Last edited:
Great deals with rebates....I hate waiting 6 weeks for a check. Not really waiting more like forgetting and seeing the check as a surprise. :)

"now"?

I never understood the hype. Ordering things online predates the creation of "Cyber Monday" 10 years or so ago. It always felt like crumbs compared to BF and the weekend ads which continued the sales after that, given how you could generally order most things online.

Like others, I don't think I've ever seen a particularly special deal on CM. Ever.

It was all blended together the past week or so. Pre-black friday sales. Pre-cyber monday sales. Early bird sales. Black friday extended to Saturday sales....

I'll grab something if it's a good deal, but I stopped seeking shit out on a certain day. I looked at some things, and it just wasn't that exciting of a deal.

Not sure if it's different in the US, but the Cyber Monday deals in Canada are pretty shitty. Now that I think about it, the Black Friday deals weren't all that special either...
Agreed. 2 years ago I purchased a 40" 1080p hisennse led tv for 109$ as a tv for the guest room. This year closest thing to that price at Walmart was a 32". The sales were just not there, and yet our store was up significantly over our estimated sales goal.

Some people just buy because.

Cyber Monday is just branding - a good portion of the nation is on a 4 day holiday hangover and would rather spend the day at their computer looking for crappy low end electronics and things they don't need to buy. There were a few high end Sony TV's that had large Newegg giftcards I sent over to a friend and I grabbed a Arlo 2 camera kit to tinker with for well under any other retail prices from Amazon, but for the most part just a bunch of things that were already on "sale" listed as great deals.

I really did not see anything that blew me away over the 4 days- I agree with above posts on moving it earlier and earlier so you might as well go with the Black November tagline and forget the Friday and Monday.

gotta say nothing has particularly "wowed" me this past weekend and today. Thanks to all e-tailers and retailers for keeping my bucks in my pocket :woot:

Very few deals to be had nowadays anyway, aside from like 5 items that are doorcrashers.

Honestly, it's not just about it coming earlier - it's completely out of whack. I swear some places here in Canada have a Cyber Monday in like Spring now. Shit is whack.

I used to BF shop when I was a lot younger, before it was a thing. it was a lot more fun back then, when you could still show up at 3am and be 10th in line at best buy. but every year thend deals get crummier, I get wiser, and the less I care to buy shit I don't need. it's been many years since I bothered with all that. although occasionally a decent cyber Monday deal can make a nice gift, deals can be had year round.

Amazon has effectively killed off most incentives to get out and fight the crowds. before you know it, they'll probably kill off the places to go and fight the crowds, too.

Wife and I went Christmas shopping BF afternoon, not because of deals, but because we had a free babysitting offer that day. for most every item we held in our hand, Amazon beat the price by 10 bucks (33%) to 30 bucks (50%). so it only made sense to fill our digital shopping cart, and click purchase at the end of the day.

I should also add, that I do believe there's serious ad fatigue as every place clamours over one another to extend the shopping season in both directions .

Amazon has effectively killed off most incentives to get out and fight the crowds. before you know it, they'll probably kill off the places to go and fight the crowds, too.

You would think that this would incentive for other retailers to really make some stellar deals once a year.

I wonder if this will be another record shattering Black Friday for retailers. I always see people on here saying more and more about how they're not going out, yet the last years you hear about how they blew past sales expectations.

I guess there will always be suckers for the mediocre deals.

I never recall Cyber Monday being anything other than ordinary. I see better deals online on/around Black Friday. It's all just running together.

Now that I think about this topic, the week before Christmas seems to have better deals than CM.

I dunno, I rather enjoy the annual boost I see in erotic MIRC chats.

every year the deals are the same, there some that are pretty ok, theres some that are pretty great and then there are some that aren't deals at all BUT they are always on the exact same items (or their refreshes). Generally I buy something every black Friday or cyber Monday or if I miss out on something I know it will be there next year. I already have everything I NEED (most of what I need won't ever go on sale anyways) so the stuff I buy it pretty pointless and that money should probably go to my retirement fund aka my kids college fund, but fuck that YOLO! :D

Years ago, the Cyber Monday deals would be different then the Black Friday deals. Now most retailers just extend BF to CM with the exact same deals. And the BF deals often start a week or so before the real BF. Seem to remember a recent Wall Street Journal piece that showed that many retailers are simply recycling BF deals from previous years. Could explain the scarcity of really good deals.

Some sites like DAZ, XFrog, and Udemy are already on a Black Year schedule. They have 30-90% off, once in a lifetime promotions every single day. Sometimes 3 times per day. And they have March Madness and April Craziness and May Cookiness, and June Loco... I think it all started with TigerDirect's Pink Fridays, where all the year's Fridays were like Black Friday. Bigger stores too. There were some good deals in Amazon but, now then, there are good deals in Amazon every single day. If you're used to their Daily Deals, nothing looked out of the ordinary. I also get a Newegg daily newsletter and Friday's didn't look any different from any other day's.

And yet, we all know that from Cyber Tuesday to the 25th, everything will become crazy expensive so, if we need something to give at Christmas, we have to take whatever normal deal is available by Monday.

I never recall Cyber Monday being anything other than ordinary. I see better deals online on/around Black Friday. It's all just running together.

Now that I think about this topic, the week before Christmas seems to have better deals than CM.

The week after Christmas is when the real desperation sets in and stuff is truly on sale rather than simply offered at a reduced markup.

Every sale I found was just a standard marked up by X to be marked down by X+$1 sort of thing. They were crap.

I really wanted to snag a 1070 or five for the kids machines.

There was a smattering of great deals hidden among the pile of prices that weren't really any different than normal prices, but you had to dig for them.

At least on Black Friday, there's ads that mostly indicate which are the really good deals. On Cyber Monday, you just get the emails basically saying, "Hey, we got a bunch of shit on sale today. Come check it out. Good luck actually getting a deal."

Two weeks ago I went to BB and ABC Warehouse looking at a decent Receiver. The Pioneer Elite VX-301 7.2 Channel was $699 at BB and ABC was $649. Today, you know when I don't have the money to spend, the bastard was priced at $449 at both stores and at Amazon. WTF?? Only deal I saw today. 4 years ago was the last time I got in on a deal, newegg had the Martin Logan Motion 12 Towers for $230 each (originally $650 a piece) and I was all over that. Also saw my G.Skill DDR3-1600 8GB drop from $79 bucks to $29. Those were the last things I bought on Cyber Monday that actually were deals.

"Cyber Monday" Existed for about 5 years before the online retailers realized they could have sales on Black Friday along with the retailers. It's totally dead now.

Fun fact, here in Canada our traditional discount shopping day is Boxing Day, which is December 26th. Black Friday sales here only started a few years ago and are mostly totally worthless and almost entirely online. You can go shopping on Black Friday retail and there are no huge crowds or crazy behaviour.

I don't really look much on Cyber Monday (though I passed on Friday too this time). Why? Because the last year or 2 I found that the deals on Friday were pretty much identical to the ones they had friday and in some cases they were worse, so why bother? Plus, as others have noted, it's gone from Black Friday, to Black Friday weekend to black friday week to Black Friday Month (minimum).

I'd normally buy a bunch of movies, but I'm planing to go 4k (eventually) and don't feel like buying anything until I do.

I never recall Cyber Monday being anything other than ordinary. I see better deals online on/around Black Friday.

This.
There were better deals (at least what I was buying) on line Thursday/Friday.
Why go out and fight the crowds when most the BF deals were also available on-line.

Yeah, I'm amazed at how empty the malls were on Saturday and Sunday. Either people have learned how to shop online, or they're all broke. I'm hoping it's the former :D

I think they just finally learned that Black Friday is a sham.

Back