Cyanogen got hired by Samsung.

if that is real then it might not be a good thing,what if sammy makes em sign something to where they cant do roms for anything other then their phones in a effort to sell more of their product?

I would tend to agree that it might not be a good thing for the Android custom ROM community but, it's a damned good thing for Steve Kondik aka Cyanogen himself. Congrats to him for nailing down something like that from basically a hobbyist position.

It's going to be quite interesting seeing how things get handled now considering the potential for NDAs and a lot of proprietary stuff at Samsung. Hope he knows what he's just gotten himself into.

I saw this posted over at XDA.

http://gizmodo.com/5831176/steve-kondike-cyanogen-of-cyanogenmod-fame-joins-samsung-mobile

Wonder if we will see some better ROM's out of Samsung now?

if that is real then it might not be a good thing,what if sammy makes em sign something to where they cant do roms for anything other then their phones in a effort to sell more of their product?

I would tend to agree that it might not be a good thing for the Android custom ROM community but, it's a damned good thing for Steve Kondik aka Cyanogen himself. Congrats to him for nailing down something like that from basically a hobbyist position.

It's going to be quite interesting seeing how things get handled now considering the potential for NDAs and a lot of proprietary stuff at Samsung. Hope he knows what he's just gotten himself into.

It is true. Good for Mr. Kondik.

From his tweets this has no bearing on the future of CM. My guess is an NDA could bar him him from working on Samsung devices and/or using access to things like RIL source code for LTE devices to help the CM team get things to work.

Then again I could totally be off my rocker since Samsung has been very good to the CM team members in recent months by giving them support and free devices like the SGS2 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 I believe. If you're going to support the Android community like that why not continue that support no questions asked and put some of these incredibly smart and gifted individuals to work? In this case Samsung is getting the best of both worlds. They get a gifted Android developer and quite a few more people wanting to buy their phones now because of the continued support they are giving the Android community. Smart way to do business if you ask me.

On one hand it seems like the Cyanogenmod community probably has lost one of their biggest drivers even though he will still work on it as a side project. On the other hand, maybe some other young coder will jump into the void left by Mr. Kondik and show us something even better.

Unless he can get the hardware design to include a notification LED though, I wont be following him over to Samsung. They make nice phones and actually support them really well even through their outreach into the ROM community, but one of the big feather's in the cap of Android is the ability to see you have a text message/missed call/email without picking up your phone.

Unless he can get the hardware design to include a notification LED though, I wont be following him over to Samsung. They make nice phones and actually support them really well even through their outreach into the ROM community, but one of the big feather's in the cap of Android is the ability to see you have a text message/missed call/email without picking up your phone.

It's kinda funny how one "small" design decision can override some very good and noticeable qualities of a product. It too miss the LED.

Then again I could totally be off my rocker since Samsung has been very good to the CM team members in recent months by giving them support and free devices like the SGS2 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1 I believe. If you're going to support the Android community like that why not continue that support no questions asked and put some of these incredibly smart and gifted individuals to work? In this case Samsung is getting the best of both worlds. They get a gifted Android developer and quite a few more people wanting to buy their phones now because of the continued support they are giving the Android community. Smart way to do business if you ask me.

That is what I am thinking too. Samsung will continue to appeal to the soccer mom crowd and at the same time have a leg up in the enthusiast crowd with their support of the Cyanogen Mod.

Back