Cyanogen Fails To Kill Android, Shutters Its Services And OS

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company is putting a bullet in its own head, having failed to build a better version of Android than Google. Instead, Cyanogen will continue to “live in Google’s world” as it transitions to the CyanogenMod ROM, which is managed by a developer community.

…owners of a device that runs the Cyanogen OS — such as the OnePlus One — must now transition over to the CyanogenMod ROM, which is not a commercial product and is managed by a community of developers led by former co-founder Steve Klondik. This essentially marks the end of Cyanogen’s grand ambition. Outspoken former CEO Kirk McMaster once claimed his company was “putting a bullet through Google’s head,” but now it is transitioning to a different approach that new CEO Lior Tal believes will be more attractive to OEMs. Tal, who was previously Cyanogen COO, described the new Cyanogen Modular OS program as “designed to achieve the original objective of an open and smarter Android without the limitations of requiring the full Cyanogen OS stack and individual device bring-ups.”

No skin off my back. They failed to import moto services, moto display n actions.

N who really wants to use nougat with the absence of xposed framework?

You can go too far with customisation. It became a nightmare.

Google's iron grip over Android is through Gapps not the base OS itself. How does anybody worth their salt still doesn't get that by nearly 2017 is beyond me.

Well, after they screwed OnePlus I was done with them. I've got a Pixel XL and have zero interest in mods anymore.

Yeah I was into all the daily roms etc. etc. I then realised a few years ago it was totally stupid. Smartphones work better the less you do to them. Obsessing over them and installing all kinds of crap on them just screws them up. It's a pretty mature tech now, rom voodoo is not needed anymore.

You get far more battery life just not installing masses of crap on it and not obsessing over it. Just use it like...a phone.

Yeah I was into all the daily roms etc. etc. I then realised a few years ago it was totally stupid. Smartphones work better the less you do to them. Obsessing over them and installing all kinds of crap on them just screws them up. It's a pretty mature tech now, rom voodoo is not needed anymore.

You get far more battery life just not installing masses of crap on it and not obsessing over it. Just use it like...a phone.

How so? Without these modules I wouldn't have Nougat features, minimize/power screenoff for youtube without cutting off, I totally revamped my battery usage xda battery performance guide , lots of other feature would be missed out without unlock/root/modifying. "by using it as a phone".

Mx0C0A6.png

How so? Without these modules I wouldn't have Nougat features, minimize/power screenoff for youtube without cutting off, I totally revamped my battery usage xda battery performance guide , lots of other feature would be missed out without unlock/root/modifying. "by using it as a phone".

More than half of those modules can be replaced with a root app (Ad Away) and RRO themes on non-CM builds. 3 separate ad blocking modules? Several roms include features stock like network speed indicators or they can be installed as user apps without needing to use root/xposed. I know my rom also has burnt toast functionality baked in, too.

I didn't even know Cyanogen was out to kill android. I always hoped they supported more older/cheaper devices.. 3 out 3 older hardware I had did not had possibility of getting cyanogen... i get it some many devices out there so little time.

I didn't even know Cyanogen was out to kill android. I always hoped they supported more older/cheaper devices.. 3 out 3 older hardware I had did not had possibility of getting cyanogen... i get it some many devices out there so little time.

CyanogenMod isn't what this story is about.

Back