CX430 enough for LGA 2011

Mattdk

n00b
Would a CX430 be enough for a LGA 2011 socket with GTX 285 or similar? (photoshop computer)

I wouldn't mind getting it for $16 with the current deal, but not sure if that's enough power.

I wouldn't take that kind of risk.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4435/intel_core_i7_3930k_lga_2011_cpu_review/index8.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/25.html

In the Tweaktown review the 3930K with a GTX 580 draws 360 watts when runnning 3DMark 11 (stressing both the CPU and GPU). The GTX 285 draws a good 50 watts less than the 580, so in theory that would bring your power draw down to 310 watts. But even then I have an uneasy feeling about this setup, it seems that something bad could happen.

Also you will need to use a molex to PCIe adapter because the CX430 only has one PCIe connector.

How much does photoshop tax the GPU at the same time as the CPU? Is it running OpenCL or Mercury engine like Premier does?

I don't think that you would have problems with that PSU because of the draw being around 75% of the capacity, but not for 100% of the time, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't take that kind of risk.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/4435/intel_core_i7_3930k_lga_2011_cpu_review/index8.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_580/25.html

In the Tweaktown review the 3930K with a GTX 580 draws 360 watts when runnning 3DMark 11 (stressing both the CPU and GPU). The GTX 285 draws a good 50 watts less than the 580, so in theory that would bring your power draw down to 310 watts. But even then I have an uneasy feeling about this setup, it seems that something bad could happen.

It's absolutely absurd that you would even bring-up GTX 580 power consumption when referencing the GTX 285. Fermi was a low-point for Nvidia, and as power-hyngry as the GTX 285 was, it was nowhere near Fermi. Why use such scare tactics?

The GTX 285 consumption in Furmark barely tops 200w for the card only! And more realistic loads put the card's power consumption at 150w or less!

That means ABSOLUTE WORST CASE 350w peak for an entire system, unoverclocked. And his system will likely never draw over 250w!

It astounds me when people on this subforum get the fear of god when contemplating running a PSU at 50-70% load, with the ability to handle a peak at 80-90%. They're DESIGNED to do that folks! It's not like the OP is trying to work this magic with some COOLMAX POS!

Also you will need to use a molex to PCIe adapter because the CX430 only has one PCIe connector.

And that's precisely why they made these adapters. It will certainly cost less than the extra cost of a higher-wattage supply with dual-connectors.

Also, if he kept his GTX 285 accessories around, I have NO DOUBT that the box contains a molex to PCIe adapter (My HD 4850 from the same time period provided one).

Last edited:
If OP would like, I can run my 3930k and GTX 260 C216 which is similar to the 285 with my kill-a-watt and see what the results are. What clock speed do you plan to have the CPU at?

If OP would like, I can run my 3930k and GTX 260 C216 which is similar to the 285 with my kill-a-watt and see what the results are. What clock speed do you plan to have the CPU at?
That would be great! Everything will be at stock clocks as this computer isn't for me.

if you don't want to have to mess with pci-e adapters and or want a bit of head room what about the Antec Neo Eco 520W $49.99 ($10 promo code and $10 rebate for $29.99 after that )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

from a noise stand point i wouldn't want a psu running near it's capacity as the fans tend to ramp up (get LOUDER) as the load gets nearer the rated capacity.

I set my CPU back to stock, and with the GTX 260 at stock, 2 SSD, 1 HDD, NZXT Kraken X60 drawing power I see at the wall:

Idle - 125W
CPU load (P95 Blend) - 295W
CPU+GPU load (P95 Blend and MSI Kombustor stress test) - 425W

It's absolutely absurd that you would even bring-up GTX 580 power consumption when referencing the GTX 285. Fermi was a low-point for Nvidia, and as power-hyngry as the GTX 285 was, it was nowhere near Fermi. Why use such scare tactics?

The GTX 285 consumption in Furmark barely tops 200w for the card only! And more realistic loads put the card's power consumption at 150w or less!

That means ABSOLUTE WORST CASE 350w peak for an entire system, unoverclocked. And his system will likely never draw over 250w!

It astounds me when people on this subforum get the fear of god when contemplating running a PSU at 50-70% load, with the ability to handle a peak at 80-90%. They're DESIGNED to do that folks! It's not like the OP is trying to work this magic with some COOLMAX POS!

And that's precisely why they made these adapters. It will certainly cost less than the extra cost of a higher-wattage supply with dual-connectors.

Also, if he kept his GTX 285 accessories around, I have NO DOUBT that the box contains a molex to PCIe adapter (My HD 4850 from the same time period provided one).

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill man. I used GTX 580 as a point of reference so I can estimate the total power consumption of his computer, it's not a scare tactic.

At the end of the day you are probably right, since 310 watts is about 70% of the 430 watt PSU, it should be fine.

if you don't want to have to mess with pci-e adapters and or want a bit of head room what about the Antec Neo Eco 520W $49.99 ($10 promo code and $10 rebate for $29.99 after that )

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371030

from a noise stand point i wouldn't want a psu running near it's capacity as the fans tend to ramp up (get LOUDER) as the load gets nearer the rated capacity.

Thanks for the link, I might do that depending on how much budget I have left.

I set my CPU back to stock, and with the GTX 260 at stock, 2 SSD, 1 HDD, NZXT Kraken X60 drawing power I see at the wall:

Idle - 125W
CPU load (P95 Blend) - 295W
CPU+GPU load (P95 Blend and MSI Kombustor stress test) - 425W

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better if I do decide to go with the 430W

Thanks for the link, I might do that depending on how much budget I have left.

Thanks! That makes me feel a lot better if I do decide to go with the 430W

Just keep in mind, with the CPU at 4.4ghz and the 260 OC'd to 750mhz that number rapidly approached 600W from the wall.

Back