Cutting holes to route tubing.

KingThot

Gawd
I have a couple of questions before I cut the top of my case to route some tubing. First off would 1" diameter be good for 5/8 OD tubing? I'm planning on lining the hole with some sort of grommet, which leads to my second question. Often I see people line their cuts with some sort of striping/grommety-thing, where could I locate such an item? :confused:

A lot of people use automotive or window seals, but for the tiny hole I'm not sure what would get in a clean circle like that. I have grommets that came with my kit, that go into a 7/8" hole I cut. A 1" is Probably fine, try hitting up a hardware store and see if you run across some rubber washers or similar that might work.

1 - easiest to cut with a hole saw attached to a drill
2 - grommets can be found at auto places or lowes/home depot in the "hard to find parts" section.

w1retap said:
in the "hard to find parts" section.

everything I look for is in that section, except wouldn't it be nice if that section was just one section, not a separate section in each big section?

You could check McMaster-Carr they sell almost anything you could think of, although normally in large quantities (like packs of 25) search for part number 9307K79 needs a 1" hole to mount. And I agree, use a hole saw or a metal punch which gives an even cleaner hole but can be expensive. A tip, it is easier to run the tubing through the gromet and then install the gromet into the hole, gromets tend to be a little tight after instalation.

- Gyr

Go to a real electronics shop and youi can get small packages of what you want for under $5.

7/8" hole is as large as you need. Any hardware store will carry the grommets that you need. 7/8"outside dia (hole size) with 5/8" inside dia. (tubing size), should cost you under a buck each.

Back