Cutting CPU access hole in Silverstone TJ-09 Mobo Tray??

MikeSp

Weaksauce
I would like to change the heatsink in my Silverstone TJ-09 case and of course that means disconnecting all cables and wires from the motherboard and sliding out the motherboard attached to the motherboard tray and then removing the motherboard = royal PITA.

Does anyone ever cut an access hole in the Silverstone motherboard tray so that there is easy access to the under-surface of the CPU area of the motherboard making it an easy job to change a backplate for a different heatsink? Is there a reason NOT to cut an access hole for potential future changes of heatsinks and required different backplates?? [too bad an access hole cannot be cut without unwiring and removing the motherboard and I don't have the time to do all of that, preferring to be using my computer and not wasting time making mods that IMHO should have been engineered in the first place]

Frankly, with such an excellent case, I cannot help but wonder WHY Silverstone did not engineer the motherboard tray with such a hole.

Thanks

MikeSp

WOW that is really amazing that it didn't already have a hole, really amazing. Silverstone has been in the game a lot longer then that to forget something like that in a flag ship case.

I would suggest cutting a hole. cut it double the size needed and you should be good. I never install a heatsink tell I have the mobo mounted anymore because of those holes in the case, I couldn't imagine not having that hole in a case.

If you plan to ever move to LGA2011 hardware I would also suggest cutting the hole to the left more (if you are looking at it from the back of the mobo tray) (reason being the socket is almost dead center of the mobo)

I WOULD NOT suggest cutting the whole while anything is in the case, you are going to have a TON of metal in the case and you don't want any of it getting on your hardware.

Great response -- think I will ask Silverstone IF I can purchase a new motherboard tray as a replacement part and cut the appropriate hole and then it would not be a major effort to cut the hole and then carefully swap trays and not have to disassemble everything. Your idea of moving the hole slightly was excellent since I DO plant to move to the new Intel socket -- in fact, had a new Asus Z68 Deluxe and the rest of the guts sitting on my desk ready to do just that but then got cold feet since I could not really justify the expense over what I now have with just 64 bit Win7 and 8 GB RAM added for my Photoshop needs (lots less money and effort).

BUT I DO want to replace the air cooler/heat sink and NOT have to disconnect everything and remove the motherboard I now use -- waaaay too much of a PITA.

Wonder if I can order a replacement part from Silverston -- probably NOT, but will give it a try.

Thanks again for your response,

MikeSp

Glad to help... any time.

Good luck with the build... once you get that hole cut out you will wish you had done it from the start... or again wish Silverstone had done it :p hehe

Back