Cute cable management holes w/o saw?

ranviper

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, here at college I have a major lack of tools, and I would really like to cut out some cable management holes in the mobo tray of my apollo. I am wondering what I could use to accomplish this seeing as how I have no saws or anything??

Is it possible?!

Thanks.

Last edited:
kinda hard to do without tools. you got access to a drill? or just buy a case with wire management holes is another option.

No. I mean, honestly, what kind of question is that? I mean, I guess you could go outside and try to find a pointy rock and then bash a hole through the motherboard tray. But realistically you are going to have to buy or borrow what you need.

No. I mean, honestly, what kind of question is that? I mean, I guess you could go outside and try to find a pointy rock and then bash a hole through the motherboard tray. But realistically you are going to have to buy or borrow what you need.

Thanks to the rest of you. this guy on the other hand. All I am saying is that I saw a guy do it with a hefty knife and some serious bicep power.

Better to ask first then to spend more money IMHO.

Now unless I get some more good idea's I may have to just hit up our carpenter next time I go home. :rolleyes:

this guy on the other hand. All I am saying is that I saw a guy do it with a hefty knife and some serious bicep power.

Would not recommend. I can think of multiple ways to get hurt while attempting what you describe.

I somewhat agree with the JapaneseGorilla. If you can't or don't want to buy proper tools, just borrow some from somewhere. Trying to cut holes to metal without proper tools is certainly possible, but just sounds like a stupid idea. The most likely outcome is minor bleeding from fingers and a jagged ugly hole on the motherboard plate.

Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_29-8.jpg

This will put a hole through it without tools.

Thanks to the rest of you. this guy on the other hand. All I am saying is that I saw a guy do it with a hefty knife and some serious bicep power.

Better to ask first then to spend more money IMHO.

Now unless I get some more good idea's I may have to just hit up our carpenter next time I go home. :rolleyes:

I mean, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but seriously, you need the right tools. Yes, you probably could get it done with a knife, but why would you do it that way? What I mean is that if you care enough about the internal setup of your system that you want to cut holes for cable management, I really doubt that you want an uneven, sharp, jagged hole that will look bad.

ok.

Most colleges have a machine shop or something like that at the physical plant building.

Go over there and have a talk with the guys who work there, they will have all the tools and I bet they would set something up off the clock for a few beers or something.:p

I mean, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, but seriously, you need the right tools. Yes, you probably could get it done with a knife, but why would you do it that way? What I mean is that if you care enough about the internal setup of your system that you want to cut holes for cable management, I really doubt that you want an uneven, sharp, jagged hole that will look bad.

I understand and I had no intention of using a knife, just saying that I have seen it done that way and was wondering if I was missing any ideas in-between that and purchasing tools, (Im relatively broke ATM paying for my own wedding)

ok.

Most colleges have a machine shop or something like that at the physical plant building.

Go over there and have a talk with the guys who work there, they will have all the tools and I bet they would set something up off the clock for a few beers or something.:p

Not a bad idea, and I could always use a Guinness myself.

The nearly unlimited uses of a Dremel will come in handy after you're done cutting cute holes in sheet metal

The nearly unlimited uses of a Dremel will come in handy after you're done cutting cute holes in sheet metal

True that. The $80 I spent on mine + bits and everything else was well worth what it has returned to me.

As far as doing it without power tools, I one time did it by hammering a large nail through the mobo tray to get a couple starter holes, and then using tin snips to cut the rest of the hole out. After one hole took about 20 minutes to do, I went out and bought the dremel, but it can be done/ Also most home depot / lowes will rent tools for cheap. So f you just need to borrow a drill for an afternoon and can't make friends at the machine shop, that may be the way to go.

I have to agree with others here and recommend a Dremel. It's like a paintbrush that you can use to cut and drill and destroy things with.

Have a 12 and a .22 ...lol

Dude, if by 12 you mean a 12 gauge shotgun, that's perfect.:D
Just adjust the distance between yourself and the case to adjust hole diameter. You will probably need to use a couple shells per hole, and you might need a needle nose pliers to pull off some of the stray strands of steel. Of course, as a man you should have a leatherman tool, so that is taken care of already.

and you might need a needle nose pliers to pull off some of the stray strands of steel. Of course, as a man you should have a leatherman tool, so that is taken care of already.

IMO a real man could just sand the jagged steel down with the 5 o'clock shadow on his chin. You may bleed a little but blood is a fine lubricant for chin sanding.

Edit: and as for making the hole in the first place, who needs a shotgun? We have teeth for a reason.

Last edited:
Yes I meant 12 gauge shotty. This thread has become something humorous. Carry on.

A slug would do the trick also.

ammo-sst-shotgun-slug-cutaway.jpg

Yeah, but using a slug wouldn't allow him to control the hole diameter via the pellet spread via the distance. Though it would definitely allow for maximum penetration (yes, that's what she said).

Seriously OP, you would make forum history, or at the very least you would probably make the front page for your novel approach to case modding.

Hm, perhaps I should just do it then, regardless of how I feel...lol

Yeah, but using a slug wouldn't allow him to control the hole diameter via the pellet spread via the distance. Though it would definitely allow for maximum penetration (yes, that's what she said).

Seriously OP, you would make forum history, or at the very least you would probably make the front page for your novel approach to case modding.

I made the front page, Its sweet.

Back