Customer wants laptop GPS tracker

Spartacus

2[H]4U
I have a customer who wants GPS tracking on an employee's (company owned) laptop.

I told her that I know of theft recovery apps for laptops, but not any real-time GPS trackers
like she is looking for.

Anybody know of anything that would work for her?

Needs to work while laptop is off, moving in vehicle, etc.

Most laptops, unlike phones and tablets, don't have GPS radios in them, so the first thing you would have to do is install one.

Second, she may be violating privacy laws by doing this without the employee's consent. To cover your own ass, I would refuse to even consider helping with something like this without getting sign off from a local legal expert.

I hear what you're saying about the privacy issue, and I had some thoughts on that too.

The company owns the laptop, but that may not equate to being able to legally track the laptop and therefore the person 24hrs a day.
The legal issues could probably be resolved with signed agreement of the employee that covers monitoring of the company laptop.
Great advice to make sure though.

As to the technical issue..... yep I know the laptops don't come with GPS radios. I was kind of hoping for a credit card sized GPS
device that could be wired to the laptop battery power. I actually found something like that on that Hong Kong Alibaba site, but don't
have much faith in it working. Don't know if any of the laptop 4G radios have any kind of tracking ability.

If anybody knows of anything that may work, I'd still be interested to know about it.

Back