Custom Resolutions on ATI / AMD Video Cards (Non-EDID Method)

suiken_2mieu

2[H]4U
I posted this on WSGF and decided this would be a good place to put it to. Here's a tutorial on how to get Custom Resolutions on AMD/ ATI hardware without the risk of flashing EDID or using an EDID mask.

Tutorial: Make Custom Resolutions with out flashing EDID or making an EDID Mask.

What it useful for:
--Faux-TH2Go (surround) Resolutions (Try Before you buy)
--Older Games that don't support the resolutions your monitor does.
--Getting the TH2Go to work (need testing but I assume it works).
--Recording Surround Footage on fraps.
--Lan Parties (you can only bring one monitor)
--Forcing Aspect in movies.

What you need:
--ATI/AMD Video Card
--Catalyst Control Center (CCC)
--Regedit.exe (or other registry editor)**
--Notepad.exe (or other word processor)

I'm going to assume you are using Windows 7. this probably works in WinXP and Vista, but I have not tested this.

Step 1:
Open a notepad window and set it to the side. The open CCC. Go to the information tab. On recent version, it should be on the left side. Left click on the Software section. Then Right click "2D Driver File Path" and left click "copy selected" from the context menu. Mouse over to the notepad window and paste the address.

Soft-Path.png

It should look similar to this:
Code:
2D Driver File Path	/REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
Note: The part that looks like {4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} will be random.

Step 2:
Left click the start menu. Type in regedit.exe and hit enter (you may also go to run to do this). Now navigate to that folder above. Then find an entry called "DALNonStandardModesBCD1"

Regedit.png

Right click it and left click "Modify..."

A new window will come up. The first 2 pairs are your X Resolution Value, the next two pairs are your Y Resolution Value and the last pair is your refresh rate.

EditValue.png

I have already pre-added some values of my own. Add the ones you're looking for. At this point, I'll tell you, you cannot force you monitor to run at a resolution bigger than its native resolution. Ala 5760x1200 on my 2560x1600 screen.

Left Click "OK" then Reboot.

Right click the desktop and left click "screen resolution" and left click the "Resolution:" drop down menu and you should see the new resolutions.

Resolutions.png

Note: You will not see the resolutions shadowed like that unless you select them with the slider, I just added them in for example.

EDIT: So I just realized, it's not going to matter if you use these resolutions unless you use some scaling. Change your desktop resolution to something that isn't a native resolution. In CCC go to the "My Digital Flat-Panels" tab. Under that click "Properties (Digital Flat-Panel). Click the box next to "Enable GPU Scaling" and set it to "Maintain Aspect Ratio" or "Use Centered Timings." The former stretches the image to the size of the panel but while keeping the aspect ratio the same. The latter maps the resolution 1:1 as it was intended, you will have significant black bars on smaller resolutions.

You will need to redo this process every time you redo drivers.

EDIT 2:
I have suspicion that "DALNonStandardModesBCD2" is the second monitor. Then DALNonStandardModesBCD3 is the 3rd and so on. I don't have time to test right now, but if you're trying to target a certain monitor, this is how I advise going about it.
Eyefinity is unaffected by this method. So I still cant get 5760x1200 on my 3x30"rs.
There's a couple SLS entry's I've been looking at, but I haven't seen anything that looks like resolutions.

EDIT3: When will this end? Who Knows? Anyway, I started trying to get 2560x1440 16:9 on my 2560x1600 16:10 screen. I wanted to see just how small / different those newfangled 27"rs are. Honestly, I saw just how much screen was being eaten away and I was majorly put off. There's like an inch on the top and bottom of my screen when used. It bothers me greatly. Until I go to play a game like BC2 and I forget about the new larger bezels. This is actually really fun to mess with. Have fun. Here's the resolutions I used.

2560x1440 16:9
2560x1200 Middle Ground
2560x1080 21:9 [MovieWide 1080p]
2560 x 800 Middle Ground (I can actually read text at this res)
2560 x 720 (surround) [~3x5:4]
2560 x 640 3:1 (surround) [3x4:3]

**I'm not in anyway responsible for what ever you do to your computer.

"EDIT 2:
I have suspicion that "DALNonStandardModesBCD2" is the second monitor. Then DALNonStandardModesBCD3 is the 3rd and so on. I don't have time to test right now, but if you're trying to target a certain monitor, this is how I advise going about it.
Eyefinity is unaffected by this method. So I still cant get 5760x1200 on my 3x30"rs.
There's a couple SLS entry's I've been looking at, but I haven't seen anything that looks like resolutions. "

Im also trying to create a custom resolution for my 3 monitors with a ati card. because for the game i play, i can only play window moded in the second highest resolution available. so i wish to create something like 5759x1079.

im currently running 5760x1080 and i found this in registry :

REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0008
path i found "kmd_slsconfirguration"

it has like 300 lines in total

one line is called :

0130 80 16 00 00 38 04 00 00

5760x1080 =
5760 = hex = 1680
1080 = hex = 438

its kinda backwards and i dont really get it but cant be coincidence that it matches exacly the hex of the resolution?.

think i can add another line to the 300 others with another resolution like :

7f 16 00 00 37 04 00 00

that should be 5759x1079 ?

I tried adding 7f 16 00 00 37 04 00 00 at the buttom, but upon reboot its gone again.

Hmm... it's been a while since I looked at this. There's a tool that can restart the ATI driver (which would negate the need to reboot). Maybe you can get results with that.

http://morrisoft.wordpress.com/2010/07/20/morrisoft-ati-custom-resolution-tool/

It's kind of old, but I could edit my single monitor resolutions with it just fine. Try doing your edits and have this app reload the driver.

thanks for this - just what the doctor ordered; was trying to figure out how to get 2560 1440 res to work on my 30" ... and this did it; nice and easy.

I am going to give this a try. will this work to force HDMI to Displayport or DVI at 2560x1600 with lower refresh rate of 30?

I am going to give this a try. will this work to force HDMI to Displayport or DVI at 2560x1600 with lower refresh rate of 30?

YES!, Though you may want to try This. It allows you to specify more things and will also work to get custom eyefinity resolution if you care for that. Which 30" are you using? I could only get 30Hz to work with a 30" with a scaler (i.e. 3008wfp).

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I'm trying to set a custom reoslution with Firepro W5000's
Does anyone have any tips, given I'm unfamiliar with the control panel for Firepro's.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread.
I'm trying to set a custom reoslution with Firepro W5000's
Does anyone have any tips, given I'm unfamiliar with the control panel for Firepro's.

As I said in the PM I sent you, try this.

It creates an EDID mask, so you should be set. Create the resolution, reboot (or unplug the monitor and replug it) and set the resolution.

Back