Custom made headphones

Yup, this has been around for about a year now I think. Sadly, their website does not do justice to some of the "custom colors". I've seen some TRUELY horrible color combinations on that site, but in person they actually look quite nice.

Allowing the public to choose different things that go into their headphones is really neat, and I like the concept. Is it worth the small price point? I say yea, espeically if they would have never made one to begin with had this custom ordering thing never been made.

Pretty colors do not make their mediocre headphones better.
It's just makes them more expensive. ;)

It's nice, but: I selected some fancy colors, added some leather, and an inscription, and it was $370.

Larry will give you so much more for that amount.

Just for fun, I made ugly ass rainbow colored headphones while trying to give them the highest price. It ended up being 591.5 Euro, $754.83.
To show you guys what it looks like,Here are the settings,
DT 990 w/ coiled cord and 600ohms

Design:
Housing- +5 euro black.............Yoke- +5 euro yellow
Mounting- +2.5 euro black.........Headband- +15 euro red
Endpiece- +5 euro black............Earpad- +25 euro brown
Aluring- +5 euro blueU=======Dcover- +10 euro chrome

Personalization
Line 1- Butt
Line 2- Sex

Service + accessories
Click on all of them

I guarantee you will be somewhat amused when you assemble my $750 dream headphones, so please try it
:)

Mister X said:
Pretty colors do not make their mediocre headphones better.
It's just makes them more expensive. ;)

I dont really think the 880's are mediocre :p

and all the nutty bass heads seem to go wild for the 770's :eek:

Monkey_feces said:

Larry is the one behind www.headphile.com. For $200 for the mods, plus $165 for the headphones if you buy them off of him, a total $365 will get you this:

Woodied and recabled DT770's. Apparently it tightens and extends the bass, and brings out the midrange. These are highly regarded headphones, and Larrys work is great. I'm considering getting one to replace my DT770/250.

(Image taken from headphile.com, but hosted by imageshack)

digitalmind said:
I'm considering getting one to replace my DT770/250.
You and me both. Wow I love that red wood look.
Darn it, why wasn't I born rich.

towert7 said:
You and me both. Wow I love that red wood look.
Darn it, why wasn't I born rich.

The only problem I have is that the combo that Larry will sell for $365 is a 80 ohm version. The amp I have incoming (a EC-01) for the DT770 is very powerful and most suited for the 250 or even the 600 ohm. I'll see if Larry will supply the 250 ohm for the same price.

i think he will also do the mod on your headphones if you ship them to him no?

Very nice, unfortunately my dream headphones total almost $500. I guess the price isn't too extreme if they are of true audiophile quality however you can buy the vanilla (non-mod) versions for about $140.

I'm actually in the market for new headphones though... My Senn HD280's just aren't what they used to be.

FLECOM said:
I belive you can just ship them to him, and he will do the mods on them for simply the price of the mods themself.
Unless of course you want to keep a pair of stock 250ohm DT770pro's.

FLECOM said:

Yes, but I'm on the other side of the world compared to Larry, so that'll add some cost. Also, my pair of DT770's isn't in the best shape and I'd rather have a new pair modded, so I'd have to buy a new pair here, which is much more than the $165 Larry charges.
Anyways, it'll take another month or so before I can afford it, so no need to worry about it now. :)

Would 600ohm headphones need a seperate amp when connected a receiver? Also what kind of amp would be required to drive them with say a portable Cowon Flac player? I gather a regular C-moy would not be powerful enough.

Back