Custom CNC X1900 Heatsink - Which do you like better?

unixadm

Gawd
I've started to do CNC machining on the side. I just proto-typed a second revision of my PWM heatsink for the X1900. It seems to cool a bit better than my first generation prototype. Unfortunately I had a slight programming issue and a carbide endmill that had some excessive runout in it. The part didn't come out as good as I had hoped, but I have another one on the mill right now with a new carbide endmill and it's coming out nicely.

Pics: http://www.dmwtech.com/gallery2/v/machining/x1900/

Anyone interested in one?

You can PM me for details on pricing if you are interested. I don't want to break any forum rules. I'm not aware of any other replacements out there for this particular heatsink on the X1800 and X1900 video cards. My heatsink is 5-6 times larger than the stock red heatsink. With minimal airflow, it remains luke warm with the card at idle. The stock heatsink would be extremely hot.

Notice half of the mosfets (?) poking out in pic IMG_0059.JPG... any way you
could modify the heatsink so it covers both?

The chips have "Pul..." written on them. I assume their mosfets. These get hot too? I noticed a lot of people placing RAMsinks on them.

Lycan

I like how you switched the orientation of the fins, I was thinking that with them going in the other direction the air flow wouldn't be so great between the fins. I am also unsure about the pieces that aren't being covered by the sink (although to be fair the stock sink didn't cover them either.) Overall looks like some great work you did there, all I need now is to do some research and see if the ram on my xt is likely to have any headroom.

I like revision2 best, most cases have airflow heading in that direction.

The "mosfets" poking out are NOT the mosfets. The big squares are SMD inductors that are part of the voltage regulator circuit. They are HOT because they are next to the actual mosfets, with are the tiny block squares UNDER the stock red heatsink. If they are cooled well, the inductors wont get heated so much. It's pointless to heatsink the inductors, they are not the heat source.

Sign me up for one, maybe two.

PM's have been sent.

Additionally, like others have said those other components are not generating the heat. They are only getting hot due to the radiant heat from the VRMs.

i think i like rev1. with the length of the 1900's and 4 hd's in my 5 available bays, i dont get much airflow in that direction. But i can put 120mm blowing on the card and it can catch the ram sinks and a Vreg sink with fins like that. And oh yes, im on water.

I think the top one would be better. The one in the same design as the reference heatsink. Reason being, thats the direction air travels across it. With the other design, air flow is killed.

It depends. I'm in the process of finalizing an adjustable fan mount that you attach to the rear of your case with two thumb screws and then you can put any size fan of your choosing between the support arms. The arms will be about 12" long and you can mount one or two fans in that space if you'd like. A 60-120mm is not a problem providing you have the room. In that case the rev.1 would most likely offer better cooling. In the casual case I think better results will be had with the rev.2.

If interested, PM me. I'm running low on bar stock and if I don't get many more requests it won't make sense to buy any additional material.

Did you test these out? Did they improve your overclock? Do it include mounting hardware?

Lots of Q's :)

L1ght said:
Did you test these out? Did they improve your overclock? Do it include mounting hardware?

Lots of Q's :)
I've never even overclocked my X1900XTX. It did improve temps which is what I was trying to do - get the temperatures down some on my card.

I include everything you need to install. I recommend leaving the factory thermal pad in place. I include two 4-40 nylon screws and two 4-40 nylon nuts. Makes for a simple mounting. I can provide 4-40 stainless allen head hardware if the person so desired.

unixadm said:
I've never even overclocked my X1900XTX. It did improve temps which is what I was trying to do - get the temperatures down some on my card.

I include everything you need to install. I recommend leaving the factory thermal pad in place. I include two 4-40 nylon screws and two 4-40 nylon nuts. Makes for a simple mounting. I can provide 4-40 stainless allen head hardware if the person so desired.
Sweet. My Voltage regulators get up to 80-90c when I max out the voltage. :eek:

unixadm I noticed that you recommended using the stock thermal pad, and it looks like you also tried using some AS ceramique. Im assuming that means there was no real diffrence between the two?

You will get slightly better results with thermal compound, however IMO it's not worth the risk. The components are prone to chipping and there are some SMD resitors mounted between the power mosfets that may require insulation if the pad is removed. My recommendation is based on the side of playing it safe.

mystupidmouth said:
Still got some? PM me.
I machine these as they are ordered. Right now I do not have a back log so I usually turn it around within three days. PM me for details.

Back