Curved Screen TVs Are A Gimmick

I'm using 4k 50" from Seiki as my monitor and it is awsome (never going back.) The only problem is that at the distance of <4 feet from it the corners are at less than optimal angle and curved TVs will help with that. So I say that it might be a gimmick in the TV market but definitely not if you use it as a computer monitor, like I do. In fact I plan to buy Samsung 55" in next few months.

curved would be nice in an OmniMax, but not from a 50-inch display. For the past couple weeks, YouTube videos have had advertisements for Samsung 4k curved screens and even from looking at the advertisement, I can see the curvature of the screen being an annoyance than beneficial.

1080p I get. 4k I get too. DTS Master and Dolby HD I get too. Blu-ray is a no-brainer. But curved? Seems like they're doing it just for the sake of doing it.

Might be cool as a 4k monitor up close for gaming. Other than that... stupid.

Shit, hope that won't mean we will be seeing 5 different versions of every movie.

DVD, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray Curved, Blu-ray 3D Curved

Shhh..... Don't give the studios any ideas... :eek:

They don't have to be a gimmick, but the marketing folks have nothing better to do...

None of you guys have mentioned the glare thing. A curved screen like this, even a glossy one, basically eliminates glare. extremetech had an article on it with regards to the curved phones coming out, but it is the same on a TV. It may still be a gimmick, but for certain environments, it does make sense, especially where direct light is an issue.

None of you guys have mentioned the glare thing. A curved screen like this, even a glossy one, basically eliminates glare. extremetech had an article on it with regards to the curved phones coming out, but it is the same on a TV. It may still be a gimmick, but for certain environments, it does make sense, especially where direct light is an issue.

Trying to find a justification is not the answer. The point is that they have no other way to sell you tv's anymore so they came up with this which makes it a gimmick. I know how to watch my tv without or with glare since Ive been doing it so long. Please tell me how a curved tv will change everyones lives. How does this blow the doors off my tv watching experience? What happens when people sit in my sweet spot on the couch?

Your tv was curved they sold you flat. Your tv is flat now they sell you a curve the other way.

You gotta remember that 98% of people are fine with the tv they have so they have some work to do dont they.

It will increase your horizontal field of view with the same amount of material. So 55'' curved could cover higher angle than 55'' flat. How much higher depends on the [radius of the] curvature.

Clearer now?

Curved screen doesn't curve as sharply as a triple EyeFinity screen does. With Eyefinity you have two screens in your peripheral vision and the main screen as your forward vision. With a Curved monitor, everything's pretty much in front of you since the curve is very mild.

Technically there's nothing stopping them from doing a severe curve, basically matching an eyefinity setup.

The thing is that the more you curve it, the more it's intended for a specific distance from the viewer.

It actually looks pretty cool in person. I actually see this being useful for really large TVs or if you sit really close to the TV. Of course, your mileage may vary.

It will increase your horizontal field of view with the same amount of material. So 55'' curved could cover higher angle than 55'' flat. How much higher depends on the [radius of the] curvature.

Clearer now?

Only if you sit ridiculously close to the screen. Otherwise, you actually lose apparent screen real estate.

Clearer now?

"If you are a lone viewer wanting to sit close to your curved 60-inch TV, then it is going to be an absorbing video experience"

Well, that's basically what I want to achieve with the 55" Samsung UN55H8000. One of the best (if not the best) 1080p TVs as of today that I would like to use for video gaming and watching movies alone when not in the family room with our projector.

It's like a video gamers dream come true!

Curved may work for a single user experience but TVs tend to not be single person experience. Buy a curved TV your family will hate you.

Meh... I never got the appeal of a curved TV screen, to me it looks strange and its not my taste. I prefer the traditional flat screen.

had a look at some curved screen TV's and some 4k ones, wasn't impressed by the curved ones PQ or the price of the 4k ones.

VIdeo/Film shot for flat will be distorted on curved and visa versa. Kill it now.

Really did cinerama and cinemascope survive? No. Why repeat the same mistakes. BTW my first viewing of Star Wars was on a former cinemascope screen, it was fucking distorted to high hell.

So, does anyone have any personal experience with the curved screen TV? How did it look to you?

VIdeo/Film shot for flat will be distorted on curved and visa versa. Kill it now.

Really did cinerama and cinemascope survive? No. Why repeat the same mistakes. BTW my first viewing of Star Wars was on a former cinemascope screen, it was fucking distorted to high hell.

Technically, Cinemascope did survive, it's just shorted to 'Scope' nowadays and is basically any anamorphic to 2:35:1 to 2.40:1 production. Cinerama was more of a shooting process. single camera 70mm prints is what did it in.

Anyhow, everyone is assuming that curved screens mean that video must be curved for it to look right. That's only for a projected screen. for your average 60 inch TV it's not going to make a huge difference.

Technically, Cinemascope did survive, it's just shorted to 'Scope' nowadays and is basically any anamorphic to 2:35:1 to 2.40:1 production. Cinerama was more of a shooting process. single camera 70mm prints is what did it in.

Anyhow, everyone is assuming that curved screens mean that video must be curved for it to look right. That's only for a projected screen. for your average 60 inch TV it's not going to make a huge difference.
The more curved it is the worse the distortion will be. Projected could make it worse or could make it better depending on where the projector is positioned (for example, directly above your head could make the image less distorted).

I think curved computer monitors is a cool idea, and I think that's where this should be marketed. Curved TVs sounds dumb because the TV is a central social technology of the living room. When I do watch TV it's usually with other people, and then the more curved the TV gets the less it makes sense.

as you go bigger, the curve "works" more.

the 78hu8000 is a STUNNING panel. the 55" is pointless imo though

What could be wrong if a gamer, apart from his home theater in the family room, would want FOR GAMING ONLY in his gaming/office room or other place, a "small" 40" or 55" to have a more immersive experience while gaming? If it provides a great experience there couldn't be anything wrong, and at $1500-2000 a 55" top-of-the-line curved 1080 TV cost is actually similar what a way smaller 4K monitor costs and I bet the gamer would get a better new experience with the curved TV than with the 4K monitor.

Do you really think that Samsung or LG, for example, could be so stupid to invest millions of dollars making curved tv if said tv would DISTORT the image? No one would buy a piece of crap like that and they would lose all the investment.

I have seen curved tvs displaying videos and the image didn't seem any different than the image displayed in a flat screen.

Been saying this since they were first announced. 4k and curved displays are both gimmicks intended to extend the life of the terrible, obsolete technology known as LCD. Durr, let's curve the display, hurr let's add MOAR PIXELS and ignore the fundamental weaknesses of the technology..

Give me a flat panel 1080p SED over a curved 4K LCD any day of the week.

The more curved it is the worse the distortion will be. Projected could make it worse or could make it better depending on where the projector is positioned (for example, directly above your head could make the image less distorted).

I think curved computer monitors is a cool idea, and I think that's where this should be marketed. Curved TVs sounds dumb because the TV is a central social technology of the living room. When I do watch TV it's usually with other people, and then the more curved the TV gets the less it makes sense.

I'm not saying that it won't make a difference, just that most people aren't going to notice on a 50 inch screen. A big issue with Cinerama was that the effect was only good in a specific sweet spot in the theater. Where's that spot going to be on a 50 inch screen? it's probably is only going to be a inch or two max. If it was that noticeable everyone would see it.

I don't see the need to get a curved screen as you go bigger. I'll take an uncurved 1080p screen even at this size. :eek:

Back