Curved Monitors yah or nah?

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
Does anyone like these things? Do they envelope your gameplay in the slightest?
I know what they look like I seen them at Walmart at work but not sure how they would look while gaming.

Fad. Remember curved TVs where a thing a while back and have thankfully gone away.

Too many manufacturers just throw anything at the wall to see what sticks.

They picked up curved screens from movie theaters, but the reason movie theaters have curved screens, is more for the projectors, not the viewers. On a flat screen, the edges are further away leading to out of focus corners and pincushion effect.

Last edited:
It’s nice and enveloping for gaming use in 34” or 38”.

I like it. I’d buy one again for gaming when my current 34” Alienware is outdated enough to replace.

For desktop or productivity use I prefer a couple flat panel 24” or 27”

They're great, on sufficiently wide displays. Ultrawides and superultrawides benefit from being curved as it brings the edges a bit closer towards you.

IMO, that like combining two wrongs in an attempt to make a right. :D

I don't like ultrawide ( I think of them more as ultra skinny), nor curved monitors.

If they are large enough I like it, if not it's definitely pointless.

I have had a couple of 34" curved and really like them. Not for everybody, just like ultrawide, but I will probably stick with them.

If they are large enough I like it, if not it's definitely pointless.
I should have pointed this out in my post. It does have its uses. Bigger screens and for flight/racing sims it makes since to have it curved.

I am indifferent about it. I got a 34" curved and meh. Doesn't detract or enhance anything.

Curved works great monitors (single user in a fixed forward position) but not so much as a TV (multiple people from different angles).

I ran a Dell 3415 - then an Alienware 3418DW and now on my main rig, a Monoprice 49" ultra wide (the Alienware moved to my other rig). Playing on curved ultra wide screen like that is great for immersion, with peripheral vision being blurry, like it should be. While I did lose some vertical space (3440x1440 vs 3820x1080), it is otherwise quite awesome.

IMO, that like combining two wrongs in an attempt to make a right. :D

I don't like ultrawide ( I think of them more as ultra skinny), nor curved monitors.

Then you haven't looked at the right ultrawides. I feel that the 3840x1200 and 3840x1080 resolution ones are just too narrow but go up to 5120x1440 and the situation is different, that's plenty of vertical space. At 49" that slight curvature is very welcome to bring it towards you a bit. I wish it was even more curved than 1800R.

Reactions: Panel
like this
They are good for big screens close up (for people who use TV's as monitors) or ultrawide monitors, it makes the perspective towards edges a little less wierd and if you have a VA panel it also helps with the horizontal gamma shift. Otherwise they are a gimmick.

They are good for big screens close up (for people who use TV's as monitors) or ultrawide monitors, it makes the perspective towards edges a little less wierd and if you have a VA panel it also helps with the horizontal gamma shift. Otherwise they are a gimmick.
Well, that’s a fair amount of use cases. And curved TVs have largely died down, meaning that those use cases close to being the only ones curved screens are made for. So, are they ever “otherwise?” And if not, are they a gimmick?

Mine has a slight curve and I've grown to like it. Single user, single large display.

In my opinion, it's only useful on very large screens.
Curved TVs are pointless, when watching with more the one person, because of the angle.

Reactions: Esso
like this
Then you haven't looked at the right ultrawides. I feel that the 3840x1200 and 3840x1080 resolution ones are just too narrow but go up to 5120x1440 and the situation is different, that's plenty of vertical space. At 49" that slight curvature is very welcome to bring it towards you a bit. I wish it was even more curved than 1800R.

It's a personal preference thing. Looking at different ultra skinny monitors is not going to change my mind.

I am indifferent about it. I got a 34" curved and meh. Doesn't detract or enhance anything.

This is my experience. I had the original LG 34UM95 and it failed earlier this year and so I wanted that same form factor. All the higher end 34" ultrawides in local stores are curved now. Only the low end models are flat. I ended up getting a Dell 34" ultrawide. I'm still not hooked on the curve. But it is slowly becoming less intrusive to me. But I would be just as happy with a flat 34" ultrawide.

…ultra skinny monitors…
I think this is a strange way of looking at it. A 49” 32:9 ultrawide is half of a 16:9 55” display. The former is useful on the desktop. The later… well, you can browse some other threads here to see how many people want to move it OFF their desks because of the impracticality. The height is useless. The width is not. For really large format displays, skinny is better than fat. I think the ever present preference of multiple small screens to one big screen in office settings showcases this.

I had a curved samsung 55 inch TV which I used as a monitor. Ironically a large curved TV made sense when used up close as a monitor. Curved did not make sense on a TV TV where you are sitting far away. That is why the curved TVs "went away".

With OLED technology it does not matter as much but with VA panels there is a significant color and contrast shift with angle so a curved monitor helps keep the edges at the same viewing angle as the center.

Well, that’s a fair amount of use cases. And curved TVs have largely died down, meaning that those use cases close to being the only ones curved screens are made for. So, are they ever “otherwise?” And if not, are they a gimmick?

Both ultrawides and TV's as monitors are a niche market. In standard use cases like TVs in living room or any ordinary up to 27" monitors the curve does nothing. Well, VA panels still benefit from a slight horizontal curve. Do yeah, it is either a niche or a gimmick depending on where it is implemented.

Got tired of waiting for the perfect 4K monitor, so I made the plunge into UWS. No regrets.

Really like my curved MSI 32" monitor. I had a Samsung curved before this one also.

35+ 21:9 monitors benefit a lot from a curve. The one I use would be awkward without a curve.

I'm currently running a Monoprice 49" 3840x1080 (home workstation) on one rig and an Alienware 3418DW 3440x1440 (gaming rig) on another. Depending on the games you play the immersion is a blast. I usually just play Borderlands3, Div2, Remnant and a little ESO now and then - and if you have the GPU horsepower - I'd definitely recommend at least trying it out / maybe check it out at the store if you need to.

Back