Curved Monitors Surpass 50% of Gaming Monitor Marketshare as Sales Climb

I have a curved 34" monitor...could give a living shit if it wasn't. But maybe it's one of those things where sunddenly I'll miss it if it's gone since I'm used to it.

I'm not surprised, considering how many new models have that stupid fucking curve in them. It's kind of hard to avoid it if you want a decent gaming monitor.

So incredibly this. I have almost purchased so many monitors before I saw the pic and realized it was curved. If you do ANYTHING besides FPS shooters they're crap compared to a traditional rectangle. #rectanglesarenottrapezoids

I wonder how many of these curves just basically came along as part of the package, when buyers were really seeking other specs? If the best monitors/panels etc... in 2018 happened to be curved, people weren't necessarily seeking out the curve, but bought for other reasons. For instance, I'm testing out Samsung's 1440p 144hz FreeSync 2 QLED (IPS-ish, Samsung-VA panel, flicker-free) 27", after hearing good things about it and finding an Amazon Warehouse Deal. It is curved, but I bought for a wide variety of other reasons...had it been flat I would have purchased as well.

I think the particular severity of the curve is definitely what some appreciate or others dislike in a given monitor. I'm pleased that the Samsung I have here has a relatively gentle curve, unlike some of the others that are far more severe - I'd probably mind it more or at least need more time to get used to it, if it was. Maybe curves make a bigger deal than one would think at certain aspect ratios, sizes, or setups (ie. ultrawides , and I could see how in an ideal world a single, very large, very high spec curved ultrawide could make for a fabulous gaming/simulation experience, replacing 3x standard monitors etc. Unfortunately, last I checked we're barely coming up to 4K ready GPUs and I'm not sure if there are even any approx 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 + 144hz + IPS-ish + Gsync HDR / FreeSync 2 HDR local dimming etc... kind of curved display, much less one wit whatever resolution is ultrawide 4K (5000-something x 2160 I expect). Even if either/both of the aforementioned exist, given what we know about pricing for 3440x1440p and 4K monitors today, prices would be exorbitant.

In any event I am sure curved displays have their role, but I am skeptical if it is a major feature attracting users en masse.

To hell with curved... I want a proper color accurate 30"~32" monitor under $2k for photo editing. :rage:

Curved monitors are not real, they are surrounded by the ice wall and are actually flat. Oh wait that's the Earth not my monitor.

To hell with curved... I want a proper color accurate 30"~32" monitor under $2k for photo editing. :rage:

Unless you spend a little on a colorimeter, and calibrate your display, nothing will be accurate unless you spend thousands on a professional monitor that's already calibrated.

You can make a cheap monitor look great with accurate colors, gamma response, etc.

Never assume a monitor is "color accurate" just because it's what some reviewer got in their test sample. Same models of monitors can have lots of variation.

My next monitor will be a curved ultra-wide.

Once I went to my Acer x34P at home and my Dell "34 curved at work there's no way I could ever go back to a flat screen. It really is somehow easier on the eyes.

I really like my Acer X34. Getting used to the curve was easy. If anything, I'd say 21:9 was harder to get used to than the curve, the curve just happened, 21:9 remains an issue with many things. And that's why I have a second monitor that's 16:9

Ive had NVsurround and Eyefinity a few times. The Curve in my most recent setup makes a huge difference. 3x27" ed273 144hz 1080p monitors. Its 6+ feet wide and ill take curved over 3 straight panels any day.

Curved monitors are not real, they are surrounded by the ice wall and are actually flat. Oh wait that's the Earth not my monitor.

Please show us on the nice little doll where the ice wall touched you.
Raptor_Earth_Theory.jpg

Reactions: DocNo
like this
Back