Curved Monitor Worth It ?

Durvelle27

2[H]4U
Hey guys I have a question. Anyone here have a curved monitor, if so what’s your take on them ? I’m looking at getting a new monitor to get the PC out of the living room off the big screen but can’t really decide on a monitor and the curved ones seems to catch my eyes. 27” and above

What would you guys recommend for gaming ?

If it has the right resolution (not just 1080p), then it's up to your preference. It might be a little annoying for day to day activities, but it will be more immersive and impress your friends.

If it has the right resolution (not just 1080p), then it's up to your preference. It might be a little annoying for day to day activities, but it will be more immersive and impress your friends.
Posted same question on another forum and alot recommend avoiding curved monitors

If you’re strictly gaming, go to a nearby Microsoft store, they usually have them for testing.
My friend has two side by side and enjoys them, but it really is personal preference.
For professional use, I’m not sure it’s the right choice due to the distortion.

I'd say it's sort of 'meh'

I have an ultrawide curved display, so it may look a little different than say a 16:9 display. Just something to keep in mind.

While I really like the display, I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to buy another. The curve of the display, especially once you get used to it, isn't really noticeable and when it is, I find it more of a distraction than an asset TBH.

I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to find that the curve of the screen didn't at all effect perceived 'straight edges' displayed on the screen. I use the machine it's attached to for mechanical engineering work so that was a real concern at first.

I've heard people like and dislike them for a few different reasons. The added benefit I really see to them is it is easier to see more of the screen. Honestly I still prefer the flat monitors, but I have only seen a couple curved displays in person.

I love mine, but it is an ultra wide 34" and I only use it for gaming...As dr.stevil said, The lines do appear straight. So it can work for regular use. I am just not sure it would be much of a benefit if it were in standard 16:9 format. In UW, the monitor gets pretty long and the curve helps when you need to look towards either end. But on a standard format, the screen just isn't that far away.

Last edited:
Just picked up an Acer Predator X34 with a curved screen to celebrate a raise at work and to me its an amazing panel. Not sure how much difference a flat screen would make, but this only has an 1800R curve which is very subtle and doesn't distort straight lines like some of the more curved panels might.

3440x1440 in games though is to die for.....

Just picked up an Acer Predator X34 with a curved screen to celebrate a raise at work and to me its an amazing panel. Not sure how much difference a flat screen would make, but this only has an 1800R curve which is very subtle and doesn't distort straight lines like some of the more curved panels might.

3440x1440 in games though is to die for.....

As a photographer I stayed away from curved mainly because I heard of line distortion. I ended up picking up 2 Acer predator 27" 1440p IPS so I get the best of performance and color.

Reactions: Damar
like this
If you’re strictly gaming, go to a nearby Microsoft store, they usually have them for testing.
My friend has two side by side and enjoys them, but it really is personal preference.
For professional use, I’m not sure it’s the right choice due to the distortion.
There’s no Microsoft store within a 100 miles of me

Honestly I’m leaning toward just a flat monitor now 27” or bigger 1MS

There’s no Microsoft store within a 100 miles of me

Honestly I’m leaning toward just a flat monitor now 27” or bigger 1MS

Honestly ivwould go the route of the 4ms IPS version over a 1ms TN panel. I say this after having both. I still have my 120hz TN panel only because the active 3d is kinda fun. But I do love the 1440p over 1080p by far.

Honestly ivwould go the route of the 4ms IPS version over a 1ms TN panel. I say this after having both. I still have my 120hz TN panel only because the active 3d is kinda fun. But I do love the 1440p over 1080p by far.
Response time would Effect FPS games though

Samsung CHG9 Series C49HG90DMU
maxresdefault.jpg

I think it is an improvement over a double or triple display for gaming.
For productivity it will be highly dependent on what apps you use.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
I think it is an improvement over a double or triple display for gaming.
For productivity it will be highly dependent on what apps you use.
I don't run dual on gaming. One is game one is tasks and windows. I run display fusion for the dual start menus.

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a large ultrawide (21:9 or greater), then curved is brilliant.

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a midsize 16:9, then it is really a matter of personal preference (some will like, and others will not).

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a smallish 16:10, then you're really getting nothing from a curved screen!

If you are visual professional doing graphics/design work then curved screens are a problem, and you're better off with flat.

Personally, I like curved monitors if it's something super wide, or a larger monitor. At 40" or smaller, I wouldn't go for it. At 48" and above, absolutely. For ultra-wide screen monitors, I like it. I wouldn't bother with that under 34" though. Lastly, for TV's I think it's a gimmick. The image distortion that results from sitting anywhere but directly in front of the screen is stupid for a living room or theater room unless you are the only one who uses it.

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a large ultrawide (21:9 or greater), then curved is brilliant.

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a midsize 16:9, then it is really a matter of personal preference (some will like, and others will not).

If you are a gamer, and the screen is a smallish 16:10, then you're really getting nothing from a curved screen!

If you are visual professional doing graphics/design work then curved screens are a problem, and you're better off with flat.
I’m a gamer first and creator second

Personally, I like curved monitors if it's something super wide, or a larger monitor. At 40" or smaller, I wouldn't go for it. At 48" and above, absolutely. For ultra-wide screen monitors, I like it. I wouldn't bother with that under 34" though. Lastly, for TV's I think it's a gimmick. The image distortion that results from sitting anywhere but directly in front of the screen is stupid for a living room or theater room unless you are the only one who uses it.
I’m leaning around 27” or larger

Needs to be 2560x(XXXX) or higher

FPS games are huge for me

I’m a gamer first and creator second

I’m leaning around 27” or larger

Needs to be 2560x(XXXX) or higher

FPS games are huge for me

I was tempted to go with a 3440x1440 UW monitor for that purpose for the same reasons, I just found 34" too small for my tastes. I took the size and dropped the refresh requirements. I'm quite happy with what I chose, but if FPS is your primary goal I don't think you can do better than 3440x1440 UW monitors right now.

I was tempted to go with a 3440x1440 UW monitor for that purpose for the same reasons, I just found 34" too small for my tastes. I took the size and dropped the refresh requirements. I'm quite happy with what I chose, but if FPS is your primary goal I don't think you can do better than 3440x1440 UW monitors right now.
I’ve been eyeballing the LG FreeSync UW 29” & 34”

I've been using a 34" curved ultrawide for a few weeks now and it's meh.
I already had a 27" 1440p and this wasn't worth the $525 I spend for an 'upgrade'.

I'd recommend getting a good 1440p @ 27" and don't pay the premium for curved.

I've been using a 34" curved ultrawide for a few weeks now and it's meh.
I already had a 27" 1440p and this wasn't worth the $525 I spend for an 'upgrade'.

I'd recommend getting a good 1440p @ 27" and don't pay the premium for curved.
That's where I lucked out I found a deal and got 2 for less the price of one.

Back