Curved Gaming Monitor Advice

Cisco78

n00b
Hey there folks,

Was a member ages ago, but had to create a new account ;). Great forums and glad to be back haha.

So with that said, I need some advice. I recently updated my GPU to a EVGA 2080 Super. I’ve got a 27” Dell IPS 60hz monitor and feel it’s just not living up to the hardware. I also now have a laptop with a 144hz screen and am really itching to experience this at a larger screen size.

I’m not a major FPS player but do enjoy triple AAA titles like the Witcher etc when available. I’m big into strategy games and immersive experience type games like The Long Dark. Visuals, vibrant colors, deep black etc are very important to me... frame rates important but I don’t need insane FPS to enjoy my gaming experience.

34” curved monitors have my attention, but am struggling with narrowing one down. Anything bigger wouldn’t work for my setup. Is curved all it’s worked up to be? Or should I be looking at 27” and 4K?

Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd stay away from 4K and 27's personally. The 34's @ 3440x1440 are the sweet spot for the best gaming experience in my mind right now. I'd like a larger screen personally, but for performance, etc. I think it's a good place to be. The curve isn't something you'll generally notice, but I think it makes larger displays on PC more immersive. A 34" could be straight for all it matters to me, but at 43" and above, the curve is nice. It makes the corners a bit more usable depending on your eyesight.

I'd stay away from 4K and 27's personally. The 34's @ 3440x1440 are the sweet spot for the best gaming experience in my mind right now. I'd like a larger screen personally, but for performance, etc. I think it's a good place to be. The curve isn't something you'll generally notice, but I think it makes larger displays on PC more immersive. A 34" could be straight for all it matters to me, but at 43" and above, the curve is nice. It makes the corners a bit more usable depending on your eyesight.

Any specific models I should be looking at or “not” looking at?

Last edited:
Any specific models I should be looking at or “not” looking at?

The Acer Predator X34 and Alienware's AW3418DW are probably the only monitors I have a lot of experience with. I'd recommend either, but they aren't for everyone as they are IPS displays. Aside from that, there are a lot of panels out there at various budgets. I prefer G-Sync panels rather than G-Sync Compatible / FreeSync etc. options. Others who have experience with other panels may want to chime in here.

The Acer Predator X34 and Alienware's AW3418DW are probably the only monitors I have a lot of experience with. I'd recommend either, but they aren't for everyone as they are IPS displays. Aside from that, there are a lot of panels out there at various budgets. I prefer G-Sync panels rather than G-Sync Compatible / FreeSync etc. options. Others who have experience with other panels may want to chime in here.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the Acer Predator X34... it's on my list. I'm on an IPS now, but not a one ideal for "gaming".

Or perhaps the better question, what are my best gaming monitor options between $700-$900, that give good color accuracy, deep blacks and decent refresh rate? So many confusing options haha

Last edited:
I'd be interested in hearing more about the Acer Predator X34... it's on my list. I'm on an IPS now, but not a one ideal for "gaming".

Or perhaps the better question, what are my best gaming monitor options between $700-$900, that give good color accuracy, deep blacks and decent refresh rate? So many confusing options haha

The two I mentioned would mostly fit the bill, but deep blacks isn't exactly on the menu with IPS. That said, these do a reasonable job given that they are IPS monitors. If you have a local Microcenter around, they usually have both of these on display. Every monitor out is a compromise in some fashion. You have to decide what's most important. IPS will give you good color accuracy and a decent refresh rate, but TN monitors are available at higher refresh rates than these are. Viewing angles are shit and their color reproduction leaves allot to be desired. VA panels will probably give you the nicest image as far as blacks and contrasts go while maintaining reasonable color accuracy. They aren't the fastest panels and I'm not sure what the selection is like in that space. One panel that should be on your radar is MSI's 3440x1440 144Hz VA display. However, I have zero experience with it personally.

The Alienware and Acer options are both 100Hz natively and are overclockable in their menus to 120Hz, which they both do fine. I do a mix of photo editing and gaming, so naturally IPS made sense for me, but IPS displays aren't for everyone.

I just bought a factory refurb Acer Predator X34P and I love it. Casual gamer but wanted a larger monitor to replace my 28 inch 4K Dell I was using. I wanted wider for more stuff to be open at once and viewable and curved. It is great so far. I did have to find a better stand as the Acer one put it to much in my face on my desk. Now it sits back where a monitor should sit.

Back