Curved 40 inch 4k or 34 inch ultra wide?

Looking at upgrading my monitor. Currently have a 29 inch 2560x1080 lg ultra wide. I do like the monitor but the lower res is not to my liking. I have owned a 2560x1600 display in the past and miss the higher res. I will be using the monitor for pretty much nothing but gaming. Looking at getting the same samsung 40 inch curved or the lg 34 inch curved. I'll be building a new rig to handle either one. Leaning to the 4k as the 16:9 is more supported by games. 21:9 I have now is great, I like the wider field of view but it's a pain if it's not supported and I can't hack it to get it to work. Also the video cards upsamplaling doesn't play nice with 21:9 yet. What are you all thoughts ? Thanks.

If you want a monitor purely for gaming then my advice is to get neither of those and instead get the Acer 34 inch ultra wide with Freesync XR34CK. If you happen to be an NVidia user and want G-Sync then the that model is coming out soon too if you're willing to spend a bit more money. But really the price of the Freesync Acer is around the same price as the curved LG, yet it has a 75Hz refresh rate instead of 60 and has almost no input lag.

I'm apprehensive about going for ultra-wide resolutions because Dota 2 doesn't support 21:9 resolutions. Which is quite a shame, to be honest; it's 2015 and there are so many good 21:9 displays on the market.

Back