Curtis Mathes Blu-ray Disc Player $99+f/s

Hey, you get what you pay for. This is a good back up BD player or for an extra room or something. If my Dad actually watched movies I would of gotten this for him.

Hm, it has Ethernet connectivity. That's a step up from the cheap $128 Blu-ray players that Wal-mart is selling.

I'm also trying to figure out what is so 'no thrills' about it...especially for the price.

Yeah, looks good. I am tempted to get this, but not looking forward to buying BD movies.

edit: why not? just ordered one. if i don't want it i can give it to my brother or sister.

Yeah, looks good. I am tempted to get this, but not looking forward to buying BD movies.

Dude, Best Buy is selling BD for $9.99 to $14.99 pretty regularly. I bought Dexter season 1 there for $30 bucks about a month ago.

Wow, I didn't know Curtis Mathis was even still around. I remember when I was a kid, they were the cream of the crop when it came to electronics. They were also expensive as hell.

Wow, I didn't know Curtis Mathis was even still around. I remember when I was a kid, they were the cream of the crop when it came to electronics. They were also expensive as hell.

The name is still around, but not the original company. I believe the name brand was purchased by a Chinese manufacturer. I guess they felt that "Curtis Mathes" would be more effective as a selling tool than the translation of their Mandarin name: "F*kYou Electronics" ;)

thats exactly what i thought. We had a ginormous 27" curtis mathis that was probably 25-30 years old by the time it finally died. Also, 10-15 bucks for blu ray discs? What best buy are you going to. They NEVER have anything on sale anymore. Now that CC isnt around, they dont even put new release dvds on sale for under 18 bucks anymore.

I'll switch over to BD once blockbuster starts selling them used :)

"Curtis Mathes - the least expensive Blu-Ray player in America ... and still not worth it!"

Check the manual. Amongst the maze of horrible english, it says that Dolby/DTS (presumably TrueHD/DTS-HD variants) decoding isn't supported but bitstreaming is.

Check the manual. Amongst the maze of horrible english, it says that Dolby/DTS (presumably TrueHD/DTS-HD variants) decoding isn't supported but bitstreaming is.

Does that even matter if your receiver does DTS/Dolby decoding

Does that even matter if your receiver does DTS/Dolby decoding
He's not even accurate on *anything* he's posted. The only mention of DTS in the manual is for the *digital out* setting. It says to select PCM for digital out if "receiver not support Dolby and DTS decoding."

His posts leave the reader worse off than knowing nothing. :p The Blu-Ray link and info I posted above appears to be accurate.

He's not even accurate on *anything* he's posted. The only mention of DTS in the manual is for the *digital out* setting. It says to select PCM for digital out if "receiver not support Dolby and DTS decoding."

His posts leave the reader worse off than knowing nothing. :p The Blu-Ray link and info I posted above appears to be accurate.

Yeah and while i was awaiting an answer to his BS they sold out. now i'm pissed off. Why do people make shit up with no proof?

Not bad at all.

The only thing is (and please tell me if I'm not the only one), I start to feel nauseous when watching any movie in Blu-ray.

Not bad at all.

The only thing is (and please tell me if I'm not the only one), I start to feel nauseous when watching any movie in Blu-ray.

This really doesn't make any sense. Higher resolution somehow makes you nauseous? Are you sure it's not sitting too close to a larger TV or something?

Yeah and while i was awaiting an answer to his BS they sold out. now i'm pissed off. Why do people make shit up with no proof?

This is why its important to take the initiative and do your own research, rather than wait for others to do it for you.

so if I wanted to hook this up to my tv with HDMI it would work just fine right? I don't have a sweet stereo or anything. I just want high def picture.

This is the same player also sold as Magnavox and others. It's a decent player, better than my Sharp HP20.

Back