Current state of WoW?

Love it. Other people saying that it's gotten too easy need to stfu. Been playing for 5 years now.
Yes, it's gotten easy, since it's aimed at the casuals now. If you've been playing for only five years, you came in after BC. So, basically you have very little point of reference when it comes to difficulty.

This. Now we just need a beta/release guy complaining that running the game with a modded UI makes the game too easy ;) Back in my day we had to wait on 5 sunders and our healers didn't have decursive!

I didn't even care about it until Leeroy. I still don't understand the game.

This. Now we just need a beta/release guy complaining that running the game with a modded UI makes the game too easy ;) Back in my day we had to wait on 5 sunders and our healers didn't have decursive!

If difficult means returning to the days where I had to log in a hour early just conjure water for a full raid, I'll take a pass on that ;)

If difficult means returning to the days where I had to log in a hour early just conjure water for a full raid, I'll take a pass on that ;)

Yeah some how people think that hours of mindless preparation for raiding made the game hard. Not strategizing encounters or working on dps, but conjuring water, farming soul shards, and farming 5-man BRD endlessly for FR gear was what made the "glory days" so good!

Yeah some how people think that hours of mindless preparation for raiding made the game hard. Not strategizing encounters or working on dps, but conjuring water, farming soul shards, and farming 5-man BRD endlessly for FR gear was what made the "glory days" so good!

It was hard-to-get epics that made the "glory days" so good IMO.

Blue gear was actually good for a long time because they didn't just hand out purples.

Oh, and i'm Biased because i played a Hunter and was only one of two classes to have a sweet-ass epic quest.

It was hard-to-get epics that made the "glory days" so good IMO.

Blue gear was actually good for a long time because they didn't just hand out purples.

Oh, and i'm Biased because i played a Hunter and was only one of two classes to have a sweet-ass epic quest.

I see, so it was the fact that the color of an item you got was purple and not blue that made it hard.

Sure if you want to put it that way.

I think you know what i meant tho, heh.

I get the argument, I just think its a weak one. Unless your decked out in current content heroic gear (or at least some what close) how can you judge what is hard in the game? I don't care what color it is, how many names it has, or how many tiers of the same gear there are. I care about the stats on the gear (which varies dramatically by difficulty it was obtained on), and the actual challenge of the content.

When my guild cleared heroic dragon soul, I felt it was a great accomplishment, we overcame the challenges of the encounter and of our raid makeup. It was even better when I won the heroic 2 hand sword (gulthuakk? Or something). I couldn't care less that thousands before me cleared it, or that tens of thousands had the normal version and LFR version of the sword. The accomplishment and reward came from clearing the challenging encounter.

That's why I'd like to extend the OP's original question and focus on what heroic raiders opinion is on MOP content.

Killed the first boss in heroic ToT last night, does that make me a heroic raider? :D

I get the argument, I just think its a weak one.

And I get your argument, but that Heroic 25m version of that awesome weapon is incredibly cheapened when you can get something that has 90% of the stats, identical visually aside from a palette swap for little to no effort. The key thing that changed from Vanilla/BC to Future Expansions (as well as most MMO's that came after that period) was that Risk vs Reward dissolved.

This is off-topic, but the thing that really drove me away was recycled content. Whether it be boss mechanics, gear, animations, instances, or monster models (which is the biggest offender) Blizz has gotten cheaper+lazier with every expansion.

No, but the pre-raid gathering was a sign of the effort level you were willing to put into the raiding content.

No, but the pre-raid gathering was a sign of the effort level you were willing to put into the raiding content.

Actually that was pretty pointless. Why should warlocks and mages have to spend an insane amount of time farming when nobody else did?

Okay you get your flasks, your pots, your food and you farm out gear/vp in your off time. That's more then enough. Hardness of content should have nothing to do with how many soul shards you make, or how many biscuits you conjure.

Again don't confuse LFR with actual raiding in the game. LFR is more like an original wotlk heroic with 5x more people. Actual raiding as I stated before is much harder. On average the bosses are more difficult.

And I get your argument, but that Heroic 25m version of that awesome weapon is incredibly cheapened when you can get something that has 90% of the stats, identical visually aside from a palette swap for little to no effort. The key thing that changed from Vanilla/BC to Future Expansions (as well as most MMO's that came after that period) was that Risk vs Reward dissolved.

I totally agree. If what matters to you is to have sweet ass epic gear that you can strut around Stormwind so that lesser beings can swoon over your purple gear, then WoW wont give that to you anymore.

Would creating separate artwork, names, and color (as in purple for heroic only) for each difficulty make the encounters any harder or easier? I couldnt care less about the titles of epic or legendary gear, all I cared about was the difficulty of the fights and how much fun I had with my guild overcoming those fights.

Risk vs reward isnt why I liked raiding, its Challenge vs reward. Legendarys have always been a sore spot for me since Vanilla, it was never a testament of skill, it was a testament of time and luck. Guilds that could simply clear Molten core had a shot at legendaries. There was no risk either, it was clear for 10+ weeks until you were lucky enough to get all the mats.

Actually that was pretty pointless. Why should warlocks and mages have to spend an insane amount of time farming when nobody else did?

Okay you get your flasks, your pots, your food and you farm out gear/vp in your off time. That's more then enough. Hardness of content should have nothing to do with how many soul shards you make, or how many biscuits you conjure.

Again don't confuse LFR with actual raiding in the game. LFR is more like an original wotlk heroic with 5x more people. Actual raiding as I stated before is much harder. On average the bosses are more difficult.

I agree, "preparation" should never be a mindless farming or clicking one button for 30 minutes. Real preparation should be reading up mechanics of a fight, practicing mechanics and movement, even firing away at a practice dummy to maximize dps. I'm glad they took out so much mindless preparation so I could spend more time actually preparing for a raid.

My fondest memories were of farming Karazhan with 9 friends on teamspeak. BC/WoTLK era was the best. :(

If you're a returning player, it's better than ever but pick a server that is high population.

Tanking is a lot better than it once was since every tank have active mitigation (bit like DK had since Wrath, Death strike heals you). Pally can either heal through world of glory or gain reduced damage for 3 seconds.

Monks (very cool tanking style) get shuffle, guard, elusive brew, etc.
Druid have savage defence or frenzied regen

Personally, I love it, you're more involved and if you're playing a pally or monk you can do some crazy DPS in raids and dungeon due to epic vengeance.

Healing is also different, everyone has the same mana (unless you're a gnome) and mana isn't infinite as it used to be so you have to think about which spell to use instead of mindlessly spamming flash heal or bubble and forget.

DPS is the same, mage are OP as usual but right know you have Locks that are pretty much on par which is unusual.

The new talent tree is, imo, brilliant. Getting 1 point every level was completely useless since most of them we're +1% crit , 2%, etc. Now you have to make some decision and they can be swapped on a fight to fight basis which is awesome.

I agree, "preparation" should never be a mindless farming or clicking one button for 30 minutes. Real preparation should be reading up mechanics of a fight, practicing mechanics and movement, even firing away at a practice dummy to maximize dps. I'm glad they took out so much mindless preparation so I could spend more time actually preparing for a raid.

Prep requires both of those things. Mat farming AND fight review. It's about contributing to the raid as a whole, not just what *you* can do alone.

Raiding has sucked since day one vanilla, said the server first Warlock Warlord and multi-gladiator. The PVP fell apart at the end of BC. I tried going back before MOP and it was a total let down. Wow is dead, it was replaced by Guildwars 2.

Funny to see this thread degraded into PvE dickwaving. Not surprising though, given that seems to be the focus of most players. Grind out some PvE gear to do some more PvE grinding. I guess it's alright if you find the scripted events interesting to the 20th time.

Why don't you tardlings try 2600+ arena ratings? There's some real dickwaving to be had there. I doubt anyone in this thread ever actually succeeded at PvP (read: 'cuz it's hard). I will admit that recently, since the last two expansions, PvP has very much devolved, even the competitive arenas that I originally played for got really stupid and imbalanced.

And I will also admit sometimes PvE can be fun, but the people that raid exclusively? I liken them to the braindead turds that could sit in an office and play solitaire all day.

Been playing since day one and haven't considered quitting. I do take 1-2 month breaks here and there. It is easy to get burned out but I somehow get reinvigorated again. I have so much time invested in my characters that I don't want to try any other MMO's and playing it helps me keep my gaming budget to a minimum. I usually pay $15 a month for the game and that's it unless there is a must have game out there.

IMO, Pandaria was an awesome expansion, though I am worried that the upcoming 5.4 patch is going to be the last major content patch and we still haven't seen anything about the next expansion. I hope it doesn't repeat the whole Cataclysm problem where there was no new content for 10 months.

Funny to see this thread degraded into PvE dickwaving. Not surprising though, given that seems to be the focus of most players. Grind out some PvE gear to do some more PvE grinding. I guess it's alright if you find the scripted events interesting to the 20th time.

Why don't you tardlings try 2600+ arena ratings? There's some real dickwaving to be had there. I doubt anyone in this thread ever actually succeeded at PvP (read: 'cuz it's hard). I will admit that recently, since the last two expansions, PvP has very much devolved, even the competitive arenas that I originally played for got really stupid and imbalanced.

And I will also admit sometimes PvE can be fun, but the people that raid exclusively? I liken them to the braindead turds that could sit in an office and play solitaire all day.

What the fuck is this bullshit?

Let me guess, you're one of those lovely fellas who paid to be carried to a high rating, right? You sure sound and act like every other 12 year old who buys their way to the top with daddys credit card. :rolleyes:

People like you, we dont need in ANY multiplayer game.

Let me guess, you played a hunter. You certainly sound like the type. I didn't PvP because I didn't enjoy playing with people like yourself.

Wtf does dickwaving mean? You sound angry dude. So you've never played a single player or coop game in your life? You don't own a console and play any single player games or any on your PC? If so, you're playing scripted events too.

You also remind me of the angry children that used to troll city chat in Wow. Or still do probably.

Uhhh what? Why does it bother you what people do with their free time or how they play wow. WoW isn't exactly the epitome of PvP games either.

TBC arena was all bullcrap. A lot of teams were the same classes, Warrior/Healer(druid specifically), Mage/rogue and Shadowpriest/Affliction lock.

All broken in some stupid regard Warrior/Druid had very high mobility and survivability along with Warriors having mortal strike. So if you didn't have a warrior playing was that much harder.

Mage/Sub Rogue - Mages could slow everything and sub rogues were insanely highly mobile. Rogues also had elite CC not to mention mage poly, mages could also spellsteal. Who remembers mages stealing avenging wrath?

Sp/UA lock - Yeah so the biggest problem with shadowpriests in pvp was their dots getting dispelled. Couple that with Unstable affliction which would hit for a ton and silence when dispelled made this combo terribly strong.

for 3v3

Warrior/rogue/healer(druid) - double heal debuffs, strong CC and high mobility. Yay

SL Warlock/SL Warlock/ Resto druid - We live forever, siphon your life, our pets eat your buffs and silence, we have two fears. Our druid can barely ever be cc'd.

5v5

Multiple seasons of "LEWL BURST". Focus weakest or most pita target and win....

LOL at the blacklash.

I had a max level of every class throughout the expansions (botted through honorbuddy or WoWGlider, depending on how far back you go; never was one of the lowlifer poopsockers that could sit there and do quests through 5+ days played to get a max level char) and played a handful of them through each season. Hit glad on everything but warlock. Never did like playing my lock.

Just sayin, since you're all out here in full force dickwaving away about doing some shitty raid that takes the cognitive ability of a peanut to complete, that there is another aspect of the game you are blatantly ignoring. No doubt because you all just flat out, completely, and utterly blow at that portion of the game. Damn those skill requirements.

What the fuck is this bullshit?

You've probably seen what happens when a pve'er is elitist, that is what happens when a pvp'er is elitist. It's a common stance to take by the elitist pvp'ers. Statements such as "shitty raid that takes the cognitive ability of a peanut to complete" makes it plainly obvious he hasn't touched Throne of Thunder Heroics, which is what should be used for comparison sake since we're trying to compare the top tier difficulty between pvp and pve, right? :D

You've probably seen what happens when a pve'er is elitist, that is what happens when a pvp'er is elitist. It's a common stance to take by the elitist pvp'ers. Statements such as "shitty raid that takes the cognitive ability of a peanut to complete" makes it plainly obvious he hasn't touched Throne of Thunder Heroics, which is what should be used for comparison sake since we're trying to compare the top tier difficulty between pvp and pve, right? :D

Obviously not, you're supposed to compare the challenge of 2600+ rating PvP battles in blue gear vs running LFR in complete decked out heroic raid gear. Dummy :)

Dickwaving in gear based PVP like WoW is just as pointless as dickwaving in PVE since gear can make a massive difference. How well can one fare at the 2600+ rating level in blues only? Honestly, I havent been there, but I would guess very poorly. If you want to dickwave about PVP in some competitive game, you're better off in a game whose match is solely determined by the match itself and is on a fair level every time. Turn to strategy games like that for fair PVP matches. Make it to the Masters Leauge in 1v1 on SC2, then I'll happily let you dickwave all you want.

Neither PVP or PVE in WoW is a good standard to show off and think you're awesome. Its all about having fun. PvP is not my cup of tea, but it makes it no better or worse than PvE, its just preference.

This pve / pvp trash that flosser (aka hardocp's resident thread-shitter-upper) brought up reminds me of another thing that pushed me from WoW.

They never separated the mechanics. PvP is fine, but I don't like PvP. From mid-BC onwards, patches were specifically made to attempt to balance skills/mechanics around both PvE and PvP, and they absolutely failed at both. They were told by countless high end raiders and pvpers (and average joes) to make TWO rulesets, but that would require too much work. Just as they couldn't manage to balance one faction having pallys and the other shamans; it was far easier to take the easy road and write a horrendous new piece of "lore" to explain it all. Let me remind you, SPACE GOATS. GOATS from SPACE, as in ALIENS.

And like Breath said above, WoW has never had the best PvE or PvP. PvE crown goes to FFXI or EQ1 and PvP goes to DAoC pre-trials. Hell, PvE in DAoC had some pretty amazing potential that they never capitalized on imo. Why DAoC2 didn't happen is beyond me. They had the groundwork waaay before WoW.

LOL at the blacklash.

I had a max level of every class throughout the expansions (botted through honorbuddy or WoWGlider, depending on how far back you go; never was one of the lowlifer poopsockers that could sit there and do quests through 5+ days played to get a max level char) and played a handful of them through each season. Hit glad on everything but warlock. Never did like playing my lock.

So, you're admitting to cheating. That's awesome.

So, you're admitting to cheating. That's awesome.

The douche was banned for a reason. Let sleeping douches lay :p

I never could understand why people used bots. You basically destroy any purpose of actually playing the game

Patch 5.4 PTR Datamine: 100% XP Buff via Microtransaction

http://wow.joystiq.com/2013/07/03/patch-5-4-datamine-100-xp-buff-via-microtransaction

Not a huge deal since you can use RAF and do the same thing but it makes it easier since you don't have to control 2 toons or pay for 2 accounts.

Zarhym's post said this:
We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. We’ll provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses.

The "certain regions" portion leads me to think it's probably for China, where they pay for game time by the hour.

LOL at the blacklash.

Just sayin, since you're all out here in full force dickwaving away about doing some shitty raid that takes the cognitive ability of a peanut to complete, that there is another aspect of the game you are blatantly ignoring. No doubt because you all just flat out, completely, and utterly blow at that portion of the game. Damn those skill requirements.

Nobody here was "dickwaving." You hop in here and insult everyone out of nowhere, and then comment with "LOL at the backlash." Get over yourself. PvP is fun but people aren't required to give a shit about it as much as you apparently do.

Blizzard spends a majority of its development time on pve and story based content, then hire a random intern in the copy room to develop the pvp.

All blizzard has done with pvp is balance some pvp based skills and load extra resillience on upgraded pvp armor.

Pvp in this game went from fun to crap when they brought in resillience. Its like their auto "upgrade" for all things pvp.

well i re-subbed again 2 weeks ago and don't mind it atm i am focused on pvp since i cant be on for 2-3 hours to take raiding serious but the LFR is pretty awesome for the casual player which i consider myself these days. 7 years ago i'd complain about how this game is easy mode today but as an older individual i do have more responsibilities and also realize i cant play games for as long as i used too.

I think I might re-sub this weekend, I don't want to get any sort of burnout for FF before it's actually released... and although I'm curious about crafting and gathering, I'd like to leave something to discover when it finally releases.

Back