Current GPU fried, RTX 30X0's delayed: best "backup" video card to get by with?

undertheradar

[H]ard|Gawd
1080Ti is dead so I'm looking for something just to get by with and still be able to use the computer mostly, maybe just not as capable for gaming.

If I can run some basic games, that would be great but I'm not looking for much. After I can actually get my hands on a RTX 3080, then I would keep it around as a backup for diagnostics when other cards die (swap cards to see if problems go away) or put it in a computer I give to my mother or something like that. So what's a good low-cost option here @ $100? $200? $300?

a used rx480/rx580 for around $75 to $100 will be your best bet, nothing up to the $200 pricepoint significantly outperforms it. Not until you get to 1660 super/5600xt level do you get meaningfully more performance.

Last edited:
That EVGA 980 ti Hydro 6GB in your signature should work fine.

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
There are a few 1660/tis on evga's backstock site, too, if you want to save a buck.

If you game at 1080, grab a 8gb rx580. You might be surprised how well it performs for the price. Snatch one under $120

Reactions: DrDoU
like this
If you're interested in a 3080 you could always buy something from EVGA and use their step up to grab a 3080 when they are available.

If you're interested in a 3080 you could always buy something from EVGA and use their step up to grab a 3080 when they are available.
Yea no, their notify lines are barely moving..have 9/21 and 9/22 for xc3 and ftw3 gaming and am losing hope of seeing either before Thanksgiving. The step up I entered on 10/3 won't go current till mid of next year so anyone applying for step up right now is a lost cause.Genies been out of the bottle for a while.... I suggest 2060 because DLSS 2.0 is very useful on a card like this. No way it can run Control at my native 3840x1600 but using a DLSS res of 1920x800 it flies with just as good IQ. That and once OC'd a bit they are close to a 2070 which is the real base line new games will have for high(not max) settings so waiting is not terribly painful.

Yea no, their notify lines are barely moving..have 9/21 and 9/22 for xc3 and ftw3 gaming and am losing hope of seeing either before Thanksgiving. The step up I entered on 10/3 won't go current till mid of next year so anyone applying for step up right now is a lost cause.Genies been out of the bottle for a while.... I suggest 2060 because DLSS 2.0 is very useful on a card like this. No way it can run Control at my native 3840x1600 but using a DLSS res of 1920x800 it flies with just as good IQ. That and once OC'd a bit they are close to a 2070 which is the real base line new games will have for high(not max) settings so waiting is not terribly painful.
How do you know that your step up wont go live until the middle of next year?

How do you know that your step up wont go live until the middle of next year?
Because it is moving 15 mins per week right now and step up costs EVGA more to operate since it's an RMA for the old card. The only thing I am hopeful for is the 9/21 or 22 notifies becoming current soon but even that they are slowing by only allocating the FTW3 ultra not even the FTW3 gaming which is $20 less, forget about the base price XC3 Black. Either that or I get lucky with an upcoming drop of the 3080/6000 or even 3070 at this point. The 2080 Ti market is taking notice of this too, there were brand new 2080 Ti about 50 of them on eBay, the GBT Aorus ones for 740 and they were sold in under 20 mins today.I'd be honest had they been a 100 bucks lower, I may have bit.

Last edited:
Newegg price gouging.PNG

So is Newegg gouging here? Not that I'd buy Colorful myself anyways, but WHOAH!

third party scalper ^, does not say sold by newegg but sennow wth that is...this would an ok *sigh* price for a 3090 but at this rate most of us are just better served waiting for surplus 2080 Tis to start coming in around the 500-600 mark even if the 3xxx supply remains tight. Only reason I sold mine was it was an out of warranty Zotac that I didn't trust ....there is a small chance my Dell MSI 3080 order goes through for 750 + tax last night since there are rumors of Dell getting a huge chunk of rev 1 cards that Amazon rejected due to cap issues initially. To be seen, I think their (Dell's) inventory system is majorly f'd up but still they sell a lot of electronics and having a totally non functional inventory system is unlikely...

Back