Current 'Gold' Standard in Mice and Pads?

Brock

[H]ard|Gawd
What is it?

I just picked up my Saitek Eclipse II for 40 shipped and then looked at my mouse and it needs replaced!

What should i go for?

For mice, whatever fits your hand the best. The difference in precision between the top gaming mice is so insignificant that the only real determining factor is whichever one is the most comfortable to you. A few of the more popular mice are the Logitech G series(G3, G5, G7, G9), and the Razer Deathadder, Diamondback 3G, Lachesis, and Boomslang CE. I'm partial to the shape of Logitech mice myself, although a lot of people prefer Razer. It really varies from person to person.

As for the pad, I can't say I've used too many gaming pads, but right now I've got a Ratpadz GS and I'm really liking it. For something with more longevity, you should probably go with the XT instead.

yeah i know the pad question will be biased since this is [h] lol

gold standard is

mouse : logitech MX518, Razer Deathadder, or steelseries ikari OPTICAL. there is no question on this. these are hands down the best mice you can buy

mousepad : this varies more then the mouse, because some like hard pads and some like cloth. personally i use a steelseries QcK+ heavy, and its amazing

I'm partial to the Logitech G5 myself. But really it's a game of "whatever fit's your hand". :)

For play, I love my G5, better than the G7, never tried a G9, however.

At work, I love my OCZ equalizer. It has a small button next to the wheel that sends a triple-click, which in many programs selects a line of text. Extremely handy.

Mouse: Whatever fits your hand...I'm currently using something wireless by Logitech that cost around $50 and I love it. Not the best for precision, but I don't go a lot of gaming so I don't mind.

Pad: Ratpadz XT (GS to a lesser extent)

I'm am Eclipse II + Razer DeathAdder user and lover :)

Awesome mouse, very high precision without being jerky to move and looks very nice too.
It tracks my sofa without a mousemat extremely well.
If you dont want extra driver clutter, it works fine without them but you dont get to adjust the dpi/speed.
Fortunately its set on highest speed by default and is completely usable without any changes.

No doubt other mice are ace too, this is fyi :)

I have a razer copperhead and I love it

I am also looking for a good mouse pad. Any reccomendations? (I would like a gaming grade one)

I really like the Ratpadz XT. I went through GS's years ago, I think they had stopped making the XT during that time. So yeah, I like the XT. As for the mouse, I'm partial to Logitech mice for comfort and longevity, but it comes down to what fits in your hand and feels good. I like a heavier mouse compared to a a light mouse, for example.

QCK+, Everglide Titan Monstermat.. Mouse pads are for the most part are preference, personally I use super low sensitivity so I need a gigantic pad.

For mice the MX518, Deathadder, MS IE3.0, and the Steel Series Ikari Optical are all good choices if you want something that is THE BEST. Having tried the G5 in comparison to the 518, and the Copperhead in comparison to the Deathadder it's like night and day, Laser engines still haven't been developed (to my standards at least).

I love Razer mice. I use the Copperhead with my desktop and Diamondback with my MacBook Pro.

I'm a cloth pad guy all the way. My favorites are the Steelpad QcK and Razer Mantis Speed pad. I don't like the slick, slippery feel of hard pads like the Ratzpad or Icemat.

I have a razer lachesis and a MX revolution. The lachesis is a nice mouse once you get used to it. I have to use claw style for the lachesis then use palm style on my MX revolution. I prefer the MX greatly for non-gaming stuff and I'm getting used to the lachesis for gaming. If I had known though, I probably wouldn't have gotten the lachesis because I had to change my grip for it, but now that I'm used to it, I like it.

For mousepads, I have both the icemat and razer exactmat. They're both good but I really like the razer exactmat.

Best wired mouse for gaming: MX518. No idea about wireless.

Basically if you like mice with "palm" movement, get a Logitech. If you're more of a "fingers" movement person, then go with Razer.

+1 for Razer ExactMat

It has 2 sides which is a nice bonus, and it it feels great with a DeathAdder (obviously).

I have used my microsoft 5 button intellimouse for 6 years now. I've tried various other mice but wireless sets i can notice the latency and the ocassional spinout with them.

mousepad: just a cheap $7 "optical" neoprene mousepad has done nicely.

I see a lot of MX518 recommendations, and I would've been the same. But the new g5 has changed my mind. It's wonderful. I use a Saitek Eclipse for a keyboard and a fUnc sUrface 1030 archetype for a mousepad. I had a RatPadz GS, but that wore through really quick, and they hadn't come out with the XT yet, so I bought this. I've been really happy with it, but no idea how the XT performs.

If youre interested in "above standards" then Razer Lachesis is for you. The best mouse for designer/gamer in one.

That is excluding personal mouse shape preferences. I mean technicalities.

I have a fUnc Archetype 1030, with the machined aluminum base, and I like it. :)

I had one but found it too small,so went with a regular Func X-large 'S'

Been using it for about 18 months now,best mouse pad ever for me.As for a mouse the MX518 is the best I have ever used,and is one sale @ NCIX right now.

I liked the feel of the Ratzpad,but it wore through too quickly,for me and my wife.

On the Ratpadz XT - this may be common knowledge to many forumites, but I didn't know this.... pretty cool!:

(From Overclocker Cafe)

"The newest Ratpadz is the third generation of performance mousepads produced by Kyle Bennett of Hard|OCP fame."

Go Kyle! ;)

That's why I said above.

I know [H]ard will be biased towards ratpad.

For the mouse, I use a Razer Diamondback. It is AMAZING. It is extremely precise and has many customizable features and buttons. A short click on all buttons, and well placed buttons that make it easy to use.

As for the pad, I ordered a Ratpadz GS from here a while back after hearing quite a bit of chatter about them. I LOVE this pad and it is definitely one of the nicest pads I've ever used. Unlike alot of pads, this one doesn't seem to get gummed up with crap and stays nice and slick for a long time. Also, the mouse continually tracks well on it.

The ease of cleaning is awesome too, however, after a while I did develop a path that looks worn and won't clean off. That said, I DO use this pad everyday many hours a day so the wear is what I would consider to be normal.

I think that it is about time to upgrade to an XT. :D

Razer and Logitech both make great mice. The only reason I picked logitech was for the shape. I'm using a G5 now and love it. I also need a new mousepad... maybe it's time to try ratpadz? I'll have to buy a wrist rest though.

I don't like the shape of most Logitech mice, and usually prefer Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer designs. However, I've recently changed to a Logitech MX Revolution and like that, other than when I forget to charge it. It's not some kind of wired high-dpi gaming mouse though.

I don't have an exciting mouse mat. It's from Belkin and has a gel wrist rest. I don't move my mouse very far or very quickly.

Ok, so, my own post made me buy a Ratpaz XT. :D

...self-owned? Interesting.

You won't be disappointed. I'm very happy with my XT. I /am/ tempted to get a fUnc Archetype customized now, though... Once I get some more cash together, maybe.

dunno about mousepads, i use an old one from 1985, but for mice, if you are right handed, its the G5, hands down. perfectly fit to your hand, and you can change the weight to your preferences.

definitely go Razer if you're a gamer!

Well it depends. Some people like optical mouse like MX518 for gaming. Try what fits your hand best. Some people have their hand weird on mouse, and when they use my copperhead, they always hit the sensitivity buttons.

Cloth pads are the way to go. At least for me. Again, it's what you like. Since I play game at low sensitivity, I like cloth. All cloth is same, so I got one from a company www.handstands.com for like 9 bucks at frys. better than paying 30 for a Razer cloth mousepad lol! And I get to draw my own stuff on it!!!

Back