Curious to know, How many of you run a domain at your house, apartment, etc?

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ComputerBox34, Nov 30, 2004.

Do you run a domain?

1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    42.3%
  1. ComputerBox34

ComputerBox34 Right in the Box

I'm curious. I just read that 99.9% of homes don't have a domain and I want to see if that is true among the Hard Forum Users.

2. draconius

draconius 2[H]4U

I run a FreeBSD based domain controller at my home, and I have a playtoy windows 2000 Advanced server box that doesnt do anything.

3. IceWindus

IceWindus n00b

Have no reason to run a domain at home.

4. Scheizekopf

Scheizekopf [H]ard|Gawd

Same here.

[​IMG]

5. lomn75

lomn75 Purple Ace

I do! For no reason besides "I can."
    I also have a top-level domain pointing at my home connection.

6. sigmend

sigmend [H]ard|Gawd

I run a domain at home.
    Its only real purpose is to help me learn though experience.
    IMHO it really has helped.

7. ComputerBox34

I run a domain in my home because I have 8 computers including laptops and then I have computers that are coming and going from friends and they can just hook up to my wireless network as long as I give them my secret password. :D I have a 2 MBPS DSL connection connected to a server and the server shares it accross the network. The server has about 750 GB of storage and shares 2 printers. It's running Win2000 Advanced Server. I just find that a domain is easier to manage all this stuff. I also have all my users set up with permissions. I got 2 intranet sites up running as well. I think that a domain would make sense to run for all this stuff and I got Win2k for a great price so I figured "What can I loose?"

8. Smack19

Smack19 n00b

Funny this topic should come up because I just purchased Small Buiness Server 2003 Premium Edition for the sole purpose of running a domain on my home network. Big selling points for SBS 2003 over say Standard 2003 is the fact you get Exchange 2003, ISA 2000, SQL 2000, Sharepoint, Outlook 2003, Frontpage all for a pretty good price.

Now I just need a BOX to install it on :rolleyes:

9. ambit

ambit 2[H]4U

2 AD Domains, trust relationship between them.
    Mostly for testing things out at home before implementing at work.

10. LadyJaqie

LadyJaqie I Have No Title

http://jaqiejean.mine.nu/ hosted from home, jsust bits I host for hard forum and files for friends etc etc
    http://jaqie.mine.nu/ mirror of below
    http://foxen.mine.nu/ my site, hosted on a friends' system atm

got it half made and then gave up cuz it was taking forever and a frieking day to hand tool with html and when I wanted to change something, I had to go back and re hard code every single frieking page. blech. im searching for someone to make it so I can edit a single file for the menu and edit some sort of 'template' file for each directory, each new page I wanna maake, and not have to spend days to get a frieking page made.

11. Deadlierchair

Deadlierchair [H]ard|Gawd

Never had the need to, it's just basic internet and local sharing going on on home computers.

12. Alias

Alias 2[H]4U

Can you set up Exchange to check POP mail accounts? I want to look into that for my home NetWork.

I use a domain at home. Several computers and users with diferent permisions.

13. Darkstar850

Darkstar850 [H]ard|Gawd

I do not currently. I would if I had the money for a spare sbs 2k3 install or the knowledge to get linux working right. Currently working on the linux aspect, but right now it just sits in a corner and stares at me. We don't communicate so well yet, linux and I. I have a windows server box that I can access and work on if I want, but since its currently the core of a small business network, I restrict myself to well researched necessary changes, which isn't the best for learning.

14. Darkstar850

Darkstar850 [H]ard|Gawd

SBS2k3 at least has a pop mail connector that can do that. I believe that it runs just a normal version of exchange 2003 standard, so any new version of exchange should be able to do it, but I could be wrong.

15. LadyJaqie

why bother with an ms product for pop server? I personally like to run non ms product server on win2k because of many reasons, 2k because I know it well its small and stable and doesnt have all the stuff I dont want in it, and running non ms stuff basically because the price is lower: free, also its less popular and therefore my theory is its less targetted by hackers/crackers usually... I use mailenable standard for pop3 and it works great on win32.

basically I have a full web host setup here using various programs. http, ftp, pop/imap/webmail... lesee... more but im tired so cant think of em :p

16. ne0-reloaded

ne0-reloaded [H]ard|Gawd

i was running a domain til server pissed me off (plus school started and i didnt have any time to mess with AD). i had 2k2 sbs and exchange 2k3 running for the low low price of $0.00 (i guess paying all that damn money to the univ of cincinnati is paying off after all)

17. elguapo

elguapo Limp Gawd

hp netserver LH3 running win 2k3 on a domain in my dorm room. got gigabit commin for the server desktop and lappy for filesharing too :D

too bad this damn school blocks as many ports as it can find or else i would be hosting web and stuff

18. BobSutan

BobSutan [H]ardForum Junkie

I selected "No", but I did for several years. For the amount of a cheap host I feel its more than worth the hassle of keeping my boxes up to date, patches, etc and constantly monitoring logs and ACLs. I get enough of that at work and sometimes that's the last thing I want to do at home. However, I do miss some of teh functionality I had with running my own network at the house, namely being able to FTP stuff right to my drives. Its a moot point anyway since the network I'm on at my new job prevents me from doing so.

19. ksanders2006

ksanders2006 Limp Gawd

I have a bunch of Freebsd & Linux boxes set up for various services (4 TLDs total). But not Windows Domains :p

20. Smack19

Smack19 n00b

Yes you can its quite easy.

21. ktwebb

ktwebb [H]ard|Gawd

Yep, use it to try things out in a lab at home with about 6 workstations. Currently moving the domain over to VM's.

22. jfarlik

jfarlik n00b

I do for a few reasons its not really needed but I have 10 machines on my network my domain controller is a windows 2000 server box but thats about all it does my other server runs server 2003 enterprise (yes its all legal so don't try to make me send you free stuff) I have enterprise antivirus running which is the main reason for the domain the fact that there are 3 top level domains pointing to my house is the main reason for having 2 firewalls running different subnets to prevent people from getting in, although having a mail server sometime still lets some people in inadvertantly the best part of my network is the wireless coverage I am running gigabit for the wired and for the wireless I got 3 g access points throughout the house

23. deadoralive

deadoralive [H]ard|Gawd

i have a domain setup running 2003 server, basically set it up while studying for my MCSE and have kept it since...

24. FLECOM

FLECOM Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar Staff Member

i think there are some people here talking about two different things, since the original poster didnt specify...

domain as in omg.com? or domain as in an windows domain?

i have both at home so i hit yes ;)

25. darktiger

darktiger [H]ard|DCer of the Month - April 2007

I voted no, because I have no real reason, even if I do have 8 computers...

26. nessus

nessus 2[H]4U

Same here.

27. KaosDG

KaosDG [H]ardForum Junkie

I put yes, I have 3 internet domains, a windows domain "DEEP-SIX"

I used to run a Novell NDS, and YP/NIS too.

god i'm such a nerd.

anyone seen my slide rule?

28. ComputerBox34

Windows Domain

29. Mournblade

Mournblade Limp Gawd

I answered no, but would like to. Just don't have the knowledge or the money (I have the time since I am unemployed now).

30. animeguru

animeguru Needs More Cowbell

That'd be a no. It's just easier for me to pay for a host. I get a good deal (IMHO) and it saves me the hassle of having to worry about patches, security, etc for my web server.

Besides, if people were sucking up my bandwidth to see my website, my game pings would start to suck ass.

31. OldPueblo

OldPueblo [H]ardness Supreme

I am.... in VMWare. :D For work-related stuff. I used to have a real one at home (SBS actually), but it was too much of an extra pain coordination-wise when reinstalling machines. I change stuff too much.

32. DiscardME

DiscardME [H]Lite

I am.

I have a windows 2003 server AD domain at home for my whopping (sarcasm) 3 rigs and two laptops.

I have the domain for a number of reasons, security (radius for wireless), av, gpos, shared resources and automated backups. It makes it handy. I have my HTPC and my gaming rig setup for auto login so with the dc off or on - the startup behavior appears to be the same.

I am a geek too. My wife just shakes her head in dismay. Haha.

/wife is a geek too, but a geek of a different color. she's a music geek. aaaaaaahhhh!

33. LadyJaqie

I figured the original poster could have meant it either way, so I listed the internet sites I host to make sure people knew what type I meant that I ran ;) I have no real reason to run a win domain at the moment, though I may in the future.