Curious about the viability of a 9700k/9600k currently

CleanSlate

Supreme [H]ardness
I've seen benchmarks that show this cpu to rival, in gaming alone, $500+ cpus.

Convince me I should get something else for strictly a gaming rig at any resolution. Provide benches

nothing wrong with it, it's a dead platform and the newer models of the 10xxx series have hyperthreading and an upgrade path as the mobo's will also accomodate the 11xxx series.

Not sure you need hyperthreading as you did not mention any games you (would) play and on what resolution/refresh rate.

If you already have it and are happy with it, just stick with it, I for one would not buy an older generation part but that's personal opinion

Most of us Intel owners know we are on a dead platform within 1-2 cpu releases.
It isn’t much different with Ryzen but those builds have to chase IPC Improvement, I don’t.

Gaming performance is highly dependent on your ingame settings.
I’m cool at 180-220fps 1080p or 1440p 150fps with competitive FPS settings.

Anything more graphical quality intensive or higher resolution then I’d want a 3080 or better, but my cpu is fine for now.

I don’t care about hyper threading for gaming as long as I have 8 physical cores.
I tried a 6c/6t, frametime spikes may or may not bother you.

It boils down to whether you have room in your cpu to feed your gpu, or if you are chasing +240fps at 1080p.

If you can get a really great deal, sure go for it. What I am seeing though, is the plarform is overpriced as a new purchase at most etailers. Might as well go Z490/ 10K series in that case. Used may be another path to great value.

I still have an 8600K that I delidded that runs 5 to 5.3GHz every day from 4.1 stock turbo. Have seen no reason to get anything else yet.

The 9700K is a fine gaming CPU, but there are already initial signs of its limitations.

imeVariance-1920-x-1080-Lowest-Possible-Settings-2.png
Source: igorslab.de (Ignore the Ryzen values, they show an unrelated issue with CCX load distribution)

While these are only measurable in specific circumstances, and will not negatively impact your gaming experience at this point, I think buying 8C/8T today is a bit short-sighted (nevermind investing in the dead LGA1151v2 platform). Because at some point that will manifest in lesser gaming experience.

My 8086@5ghz still pushes my 1080ti's just fine and it's light 2 cores to the 9700k.

We'll see if that changes any if I can ever get my hands on a current generation video card.... not holding my breath on that score.

If you can get a 9700k for $200 then I think that is the best price/performance right now. Although I've seen $220 10600ks which is also pretty great. I would suggest waiting to see what the 11xxx IPC improvements look like.

Just my opinion, but I would get a higher thread count. Personally I would get 16 threads because thats what the new consoles are. Yea there may be no correlation between PC and consoles, but you will see more and more games using 16 threads+ this generation. Stutter will get worse on the 9700k this gen.

Just my opinion, but I would get a higher thread count. Personally I would get 16 threads because thats what the new consoles are. Yea there may be no correlation between PC and consoles, but you will see more and more games using 16 threads+ this generation. Stutter will get worse on the 9700k this gen.
I think this would be a good thing but just because a game can take advantage of sixteen threads doesn't mean the cpus with lower threads will perform worse. It likely just means the cpus with more threads will perform better.

I think this would be a good thing but just because a game can take advantage of sixteen threads doesn't mean the cpus with lower threads will perform worse. It likely just means the cpus with more threads will perform better.
True, especially if you play at higher resolution.

Was just bringing up the point that there are already stutter issues in some titles with the CPU. Fortunately I haven't ran into many issues, but have seen it talked about pretty frequently on reddit in the last few years and I believe GamersNexus put out a video on it when the CPU came out.

Back