Cuba Improving Internet Access with More Hotspots, Lower Fees

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
NYTimes is reporting that Cuba plans to expand online access for its citizens by rolling out a few dozen hotspots around the island and lowering the access fees. The overall plan is to have slow broadband to half of Cuban homes by 2020. For some reason, I’m thinking of the Tropico game now.

It is a source of frustration for young people, a growing number of whom — especially in Havana — own a smartphone that they cannot use to get online. The city’s one hot spot — at the workshop of the artist Kcho — is constantly packed. “Young people don’t talk about politics,” said Hector, 25, an information systems manager in Santiago de Cuba, the country’s second-largest city. “What they are most worried about is being able to connect to the Internet.”

So they could care less if the world burns... just as long as they have those "internets", they are good to go.

man.. i read that as

CUDA improving the internet...

and was wondering how nvidia could do that

:eek:

Because politics is the only reason to be on the internet? Roger that. :eek:

No, but from what it sounds like, they are being set up for a horrible future and they are paying no attention to it.

“What they are most worried about is being able to connect to the Internet.”

Once connected to the internet, people are free to find the information they want. The Arab Spring, The European Color Revolutions, and various other political upsets in recent years were all brought on thanks to the younger generation organizing online, particularly on social media. Though today's Cuba isn't the 1960's Cuba, for those who have actually traveled there many are genuinely satisfied with life and only want improved infrastructure.

$2 an hour for slow Internet when most adults make $20 a month. AT&T is green with envy.

Weren't they having toilet paper shortages just recently? Good thing they are spending money on Wifi for the politic...er...um...people.

Back