Cthulhu Saves the World? ROFL

Tempest_Prime

I choke on balls regularly
I saw one of those steam ads for Cthulhu Saves the World and pounced on it for less than $3. I work behind the great firewall of china's mexican-made western cousin knock-off purchased from the lowest bidder, so I can't go link to it, but the game is hilarious. Cthulhu gets his powers zapped and you basically run off trying to get them back... in an snes-style rpg (very final fantasy-ish).

"Does this mean we're dating?" "No. We are strictly in a rock star - groupie relationship."... Heh. Good times for sub $3.

It's pretty fun! The only thing I would change after 3 hours of play is the random encounters. Those are getting a little old...

I bought it as well but cant play it due to refusing to install windows media player.

I bought it as well but cant play it due to refusing to install windows media player.

That is a really weird stance to take :p
Doesn't that come preinstalled with pretty much every version of windows?
But anyway fight the planet dude! :D

Yea the game is fun as hell. I thought about starting a thread, but I figured someone would troll it about people wanting to play games that look 25 years old. I personally love my NES, Atari 2600, SNES, etc. This game just brings all those great memories back with awesome charming characters.

Definitely not recommended for the BF3 crowd, but a great little game in it's own right.

Ha ha my Windows media player just sits here idle. I can't get it to work to save my life. I don't think there is anything more boring than sitting around for 5 hours waiting for it to load my library of music. Fall asleep and wake up and it's still not loaded. I didn't bother to add a single music folder to it this win 7 64 installation.

Makes me sad that I have to install Itunes or another media player to play my library.

:)

I picked this one up for my wife, and she's been loving it. Watching her play takes me back to playing my first rpg on a Sega master system (can't even remember the name of the game anymore, maybe Ultima?). Definitely an awesome game.

cageymaru said:
Yea the game is fun as hell. I thought about starting a thread, but I figured someone would troll it about people wanting to play games that look 25 years old. I personally love my NES, Atari 2600, SNES, etc. This game just brings all those great memories back with awesome charming characters.

Definitely not recommended for the BF3 crowd, but a great little game in it's own right.

Games like this show the generation gap in video games starting to form. Those of us that grew up on Atari's, NES, Sega, etc can sit down and enjoy a game like this because we've sunk hours of our lives into games that looked the same, and we have an appreciation for good gameplay that can overcome graphics. We also enjoy this thing called "single player" where you get to participate in a story instead of blowing people up over and over and restarting.

I might not have grown up on an Atari or NES, but because I spent a large portion of my childhood playing these sort of RPGs on my Game Boy/Game Boy Color, I still appreciate it whenever a developer releases this sort of thing.

So, you know, there are still those amongst the "younger" generation that appreciates these sort of games.

Could someone check the game folders to see if there is a config file? It might be in my documents as well. Id like to try and start the game with no music to see if i can bypass the WMP crap but I am guessing it doesnt create a config file until after you modify the options.

Sweet, Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII double pack for $2.99 on Steam. Can't go wrong with that.

Kif_Kroker_8217.png

What is up with the sudden surge of SNES era graphics recently? I'm no graphics whore, but these just aren't cutting it. It's 2011; we expect 3D worlds at the very least.

These games were fun back in the day, but if I wanted to play a game with SNES graphics, I'd go back and play one of the hundreds of SNES RPGs that were released 20 years ago. There's no real excuse for this level of graphics in 2011.

What is up with the sudden surge of SNES era graphics recently? I'm no graphics whore, but these just aren't cutting it. It's 2011; we expect 3D at the very least.

These games were fun back in the day, but if I wanted to play a game with SNES graphics, I'd go back and play one of the hundreds of SNES RPGs that were released 20 years ago. There's no real excuse for this level of graphics.

That would be your opinion, and however correct or incorrect it might be, gamers have voted with their wallet, and the makers of the game consider the sales make them feel successful, and that's all that really matters.

It means that gamers voted with their wallet that they are willing to buy games with SNES level graphics, probably out of nostaliga partially, also because it happens to be a good game on it's own merits, graphics or no.

What is up with the sudden surge of SNES era graphics recently? I'm no graphics whore, but these just aren't cutting it. It's 2011; we expect 3D worlds at the very least.

These games were fun back in the day, but if I wanted to play a game with SNES graphics, I'd go back and play one of the hundreds of SNES RPGs that were released 20 years ago. There's no real excuse for this level of graphics in 2011.

A lot of the developers that have been focusing on graphics haven't focused as much on the gameplay, the most important part. Indie titles generally can't afford great graphics, so they HAVE to make the gameplay good in order to have a chance.

Loving this game so far! The humor is just something you dont see in games these days. I dont even know I'm playing a game with 1990 graphics!

My favorite 2 scenes were meeting the boss after first getting paws and then scene after you get your powers back. I will say after playing this and breath of death I went out and bought a couple JRPGs on the Ps3 i had missed.

I do like big pretty graphics games as well, but I think the popularity of these sorts of games show that the initial joy in gaming often comes purely from the skill test aspect of it and the brain is capable of filling in the blanks.

The other day I spent the best part of day playing One Must Fall: 2097 through DOSBox, which is a 1994 fighting game. I haven't spent a day playing a game in months if not a year or two, and the game that finally entertains me enough to play it for a whole day is a game I already played nearly 2 decades ago! :p

Complexity isn't necessarily fun, as evidenced by all the bitching and moaning that goes on about modern games. Sometimes a simple skill tester of a game with very little graphics and polish over the top can be more entertaining.

Perhaps equally as importantly as actually having a good game is the fact that the devs are legitimately enthusiastic to talk with and interact with fans about their game.

My wallet can only pay or not pay, if someone asks for my opinion I can tell them why I made the decision. It's a pretty simple way to increase your fan base.

I bought both of them for like $4 when they ran the promo a few weeks ago. Definately a throw back to the SNES days for sure

I do like big pretty graphics games as well, but I think the popularity of these sorts of games show that the initial joy in gaming often comes purely from the skill test aspect of it and the brain is capable of filling in the blanks.

The other day I spent the best part of day playing One Must Fall: 2097 through DOSBox, which is a 1994 fighting game. I haven't spent a day playing a game in months if not a year or two, and the game that finally entertains me enough to play it for a whole day is a game I already played nearly 2 decades ago! :p

Complexity isn't necessarily fun, as evidenced by all the bitching and moaning that goes on about modern games. Sometimes a simple skill tester of a game with very little graphics and polish over the top can be more entertaining.

OMF was fantastic. Damn that catchy intro/menu music!

I'll definitely be picking this up. Hard to say no to both Cthulhu and Breath of Death packaged together for $2.99!

honestly, after all these days of "I want this to be so realistic looking I need to buy the newest cutting edge equipment to run at top speed with all the eye candy", I find alot of games that i wanted to play end up being shelved after a few days. This is not because I've completed them, but because I've become bored with the story lines of said games.

Some of the time I wish some games would be cel-shaded or cartoon like so they'd be easier on graphic cards (if thats possible) so therefore the developers could hopefully get a game out that has an intriguing story and not a big day 1 patch to fix issues. I don't like how sometimes you install your game and its glitchy to all hell, and won't work until you patch it or hack it (for those who can figure out what the issue is). For example I tried to play Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl as for me it was a day 1 game, I shelved it in a matter of 2 hours that includes installation time due to performance and generally it boring me, I'm sure its a great game, I just didn't have the patience for it.

Cthulu saves the World? Sounds like a win to me in terms of gameplay over graphics.

Back