CS:S not giving proper audio!

I finally got my MSI motherboard to go along with my 3200+Venice and got Windows up and the chipset/sound/video/ethernet drivers up and all that good stuff. Then I re-downloaded steam and CS:S. I downloaded it all and fired it up, and got into a game. As soon as I joined the [H]ardgaming server a grenade went off, and the only sound I heard was from my center speaker (using Logitech Z-640s by the way). Right before I got on I was listening to Winamp with a 5.1 channel audio plugin and I could hear sound from all speakers clearly. Then I decided to look directly at a firefight, then turn real quick. Sure enough, when I was looking at the fight I could hear the sound clearly only through my center channel and sub, but when I turned the sound immediately cut out when it was supposed to come from my side and rear speakers. Anyone have a similar occurence? It cannot be the board since in the CP the speaker test it identifies all speakers correctly. The CS:S sound test would only play sounds out of the center channel and sub. I'm installing UT2K4 as we speak to see if it is the same for all games or just CS:S. What could the mix up be?

EDIT: UT2K4 gives me proper audio

Try pressing the matrix button on that pod, or go into your audio drivers sound setup and try using 5.1 vs. stereo. Try those things, then report back.

The Matrix button didn't do anything. I just noticed that there is a VERY tiny amount of sound coming out of my front left and right speakers but it is playing the same sound as the center channel and not in surround. Changing to stereo didn't do anything.

Do you watch DVDs on the comp and notice a difference? Anything else in surround? Have you check under options in CS if the sound is in surround? If this is a problem with surround in general, make sure the speakers are plugged in correctly to the comp, if you change them around it will mess up how it sounds.

retardedchicken said:
I finally got my MSI motherboard to go along with my 3200+Venice and got Windows up and the chipset/sound/video/ethernet drivers up and all that good stuff. Then I re-downloaded steam and CS:S. I downloaded it all and fired it up, and got into a game. As soon as I joined the [H]ardgaming server a grenade went off, and the only sound I heard was from my center speaker (using Logitech Z-640s by the way). Right before I got on I was listening to Winamp with a 5.1 channel audio plugin and I could hear sound from all speakers clearly. Then I decided to look directly at a firefight, then turn real quick. Sure enough, when I was looking at the fight I could hear the sound clearly only through my center channel and sub, but when I turned the sound immediately cut out when it was supposed to come from my side and rear speakers. Anyone have a similar occurence? It cannot be the board since in the CP the speaker test it identifies all speakers correctly. The CS:S sound test would only play sounds out of the center channel and sub. I'm installing UT2K4 as we speak to see if it is the same for all games or just CS:S. What could the mix up be?

EDIT: UT2K4 gives me proper audio
http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=303&p_created=1104468231&p_sid=-hB6gKNh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzMmcF9wcm9kcz0wJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9JnBfY3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF9wYWdlPTEmcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1zb3VuZA**&p_li=&p_topview=1

Steam Support said:
RealTek Drivers
There are older version of the Realtek drivers that do work properly, installing an older version will give you 5.1 sound. This is only for the AC97 series (AC97 up to ALC850).

The latest HD_Audio Chip (the ALC 880D) does not have a fixed driver available yet, but I just got official word from Realtek that they know about the problem and are working on a solution.

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]This problem is (and has always been) a Realtek driver problem, not an HL2/Valve problem.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]For now (for the 880D) there is no solution except to use stereo mode.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]AC97 Family
There are older working and perhaps a new driver that will work for 'AC97 generation chips.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]Here is a summary of the Realtek driver versions:
Currently we are seeing that:
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]AC97 / etc up to ALC850:
3.55 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.57 has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
[/font][font=Verdana, Helvetica]3.63[/font] [font=Verdana, Helvetica]has been reported to work properly in Half-Life 2
3.66 has been reported to not work properly
3.67 has been reported to not work properly
3.68 is now available (30Dec2004) (but has been reported to not work properly)
[/font][font=Verdana, Helvetica]3.69[/font] [font=Verdana, Helvetica]is now available (03Feb2005) and has been reported to somewhat fix the HL2/CSS/Hl2DM 5.1 sound problems, there may be things only partially working on your particular system.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]Windows 2000/XP (and 98Gold/98se/Me) for Driver only.
For Windows 98 SE, DirectX(R)8 is required to enable advanced features:
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/ac97/alc650/wdm_a369.exe[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]New In Version 3.69:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]A3.69 -
1. Add some customized settings.
2. Add SPDIF IN pass throuth SPDIF Out item for some of ATI and nVidia chipsets.
3. Fix AC3 SPDIF blue screen issue when SPDIF-out force to 44K.
4. Change DMA Threshold from 06 to 10 to decrease noise for ATI SB400 chipset.
5. Update 3D engine to fix Half Life 2(Game) no sound issue and some noise issues.
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]HD (880d):
Check here for the latest HD drivers from Realtek:
[/font][font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/hda/alc880d[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]Here is a link to the wdm_r117 HD 880D drivers just released (10Mar2005)
(Unknown if they work yet):
[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://210.51.181.211/pc/hda/alc880d/wdm_r117.exe[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/hda/alc880d/wdm_r117.exe[/font]
[font=Verdana, Helvetica]ftp://202.65.194.18/pc/hda/alc880d/wdm_r117.exe[/font]

[font=Verdana, Helvetica]The Realtek FTP Sites are extremely overloaded right now
Please find a local mirror link [font=Verdana, Helvetica]HERE[/font].
[/font]

Back