Cs:S... In game MP3 player

logan1

Gawd
Did you know there is an in-game MP3 player built right into Counter Strike: Source? If you want to listen to music while ingame, but not mess with other programs, and have better control, then this is for you.

Instructions:
1. Type mp3 in the console to bring up the music player.

2. Click on Options ---> Add Directory

3. Navigate to your music directory. You can just add the top directory, and you will be able to navigate through subdirectories. Your My Music directory works fine.

4. Look through all of your folders, and right click and select "Add To Playlist" on any song you want to play.

5. After adding all of the songs you want, click on the first song in the playlist. Then click on "Play".

The songs will play in the order you have selected. After each round ends, it will also change songs. When somebody talks using the in-game mic, it will lower the volume of the music just slightly. You can also adjust the volume using the slider bar on the mp3 window. Shuffle also works.

Thanks for the tip and write-up, I'll have to give it a shot.

hmmm "Failed to load sound "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx" file probably missing from disk/repository

Heh thats pretty cool :)

Too bad I won't use it in CSS though, cause in that game the in-game sounds make a huge difference and without them you're at a disadvantage.

Though for other source games, it should be useful :)

Should this also work for Day of Defeat Source?

Edit: Tried it out, doesn't work.

Drexion said:
Heh thats pretty cool :)

Too bad I won't use it in CSS though, cause in that game the in-game sounds make a huge difference and without them you're at a disadvantage.

Though for other source games, it should be useful :)

I assume you would use an mp3 player in a public server, not when every kill counts such as a scrim or match.

Either way, the positional sound in Source is pretty bad.

I remember there being talk of this so long ago but I never found out how to use it! Thanks a lot! :D

fromage said:
Either way, the positional sound in Source is pretty bad.
I play with headphones, and they seem to be pretty accurate to me :s Or maybe I'm just accustomed to it?
Listening to the sounds always gives me the advantage, though lots of times noobs will respond with "omg you hax ban ban haxor" :p

The directional sound in source are garbage and can only be utilized by retarded people who don't know any better. "I hearded the sound and I knewed he wus there". You heard a sound but you did not know where it was coming from.

The mp3 player in source is worthless because it only works with certain mp3s, most of my music will not work with it.

Drexion said:
I play with headphones, and they seem to be pretty accurate to me :s Or maybe I'm just accustomed to it?
Listening to the sounds always gives me the advantage, though lots of times noobs will respond with "omg you hax ban ban haxor" :p

I've played professional(participated at CPL) for Counter-Strike 1.6. I use headphones too.

And I've tried Source, and compared to 1.6, the directional sound is garbage. Let's say on de_dust2, you're in B tunnels looking towards T spawn and an opponent comes up through lower B stairs. In Source, first of all, theres so much ambiant sound bullshit that you can't really hear the footsteps to begin with, and second, it sounds like EAX garbage and everything resonates off walls. It's pretty hard to accurately determine a position based on sound alone. You have to deduce by your surroundings.

fromage said:
I've played professional(participated at CPL) for Counter-Strike 1.6. I use headphones too.

And I've tried Source, and compared to 1.6, the directional sound is garbage. Let's say on de_dust2, you're in B tunnels looking towards T spawn and an opponent comes up through lower B stairs. In Source, first of all, theres so much ambiant sound bullshit that you can't really hear the footsteps to begin with, and second, it sounds like EAX garbage and everything resonates off walls. It's pretty hard to accurately determine a position based on sound alone. You have to deduce by your surroundings.

yeah but 1.6 really doesnt have ne ambient noises... so its much easier

Back