CS:S Fps question

nova[11]

Limp Gawd
in cs:s @ the following settings im only getting like 60 fps and its drops as low as 19

1024x768
model detail: medium
texture detail: medium
water detail: reflect world
shadow detail: high
AA: none
AF: 4
Shader: High
VS: Disabled

these are with 66.93, all the others were worse.
im juts curious anyone getting similiar/better/worse?

I assume this is on the desktop in your sig? If so, you should be getting MUCH better performance, even with everything maxed and at 4x AA 8x AF. With those settings listed, you should be pulling a steady 100FPS, if not much higher. Just for starters, do all the dxdiag tests work and everything show up as enabled? Is vsync on? (turn it off if so).

Scott

yeah, thats whats wierd, back in the CS:S beta i had alot better FPS and now all of a sudden with the new CS:S my FPS suck.

nova[11] said:
yeah, thats whats wierd, back in the CS:S beta i had alot better FPS and now all of a sudden with the new CS:S my FPS suck.
Well in that case, try deleting the ClientRegistry.blob from your steam directory. It should then go ahead and recheck all the game files to make sure they aren't corrupt. Also reinstall your video card drivers, or upgrade to the new 66.93 ones.

Scott

im getting 100-60FPS in CS:S @ 1280x1024 high refect all 4xAA 8xAF
and 89FPS in the Stress test at the same setting and this is with AIM IRC and winamp running

on the rig in my sig :cool:
on 66.93 drivers

just uninstalled the drivers and went to 66.93 today and its better but thats the FPS im getting with them in my first post. Everything on this computer is a clean install i did 2 days ago when i did a complete format

Supposedly the Source engine is very CPU dependant... so maybe your P4 2.4 is having trouble keeping up. The 512MB of RAM probably isn't helping things either.

nova[11] said:
just uninstalled the drivers and went to 66.93 today and its better but thats the FPS im getting with them in my first post. Everything on this computer is a clean install i did 2 days ago when i did a complete format
Ok wait a second, if you just formatted then was the problem occuring before you did so? If not, then it may be driver related. Have you checked dxdiag?

Scott

i forgot to update my sig in the first post but im running a 2.8 w/ HT and 800 fsb. no longer the 2.4

6800GTOwned said:
Supposedly the Source engine is very CPU dependant... so maybe your P4 2.8 is having trouble keeping up. The 512MB of RAM probably isn't helping things either.
Re-read post #3. Also, his fps wouldn't be that bad.

Scott

Hey guys. Im having this same prob. I get 88fps since that CSS update on Nov 4. Before hand I was getting over 100 in stress test. I am also getting studdering. It goes away after a few mins but it never goes away when I am spectating someone. Arg it pisses me off I buy a new $400 video card and it doesnt even work worth a crap with my favorite game.

And yes, I was getting 110fps in beta and before that damn Nov 4 update.

I get exactly 88 fps with the stress test as well. I used a driver before a while back and got 110 with the same settings but it was probably before that update.

From what i recall alot of people were getting better frames before the release and i myself run at all medium settings and shader on low i believe and 1024x768x32x2xAAx2xAF and i get 50-100 fps in a 40 man server. Sure some people get 80-100 but thats on like 20 people servers. Thats the one detail that people forget to realize. More people = less frames. I can be in one area and be running 80-100 fps and 10 guys appear and pff 40-60 in a instant. But yeah look at my setup. I'm DEFINTLY not being held by my cpu anymore (had a xp @ 2.50 before) so its just ahhh... every other game flys even ut2k4 with same settings but cs:s runs like crap and i think thats because it IS crap! :p

i just want it to run well so i can play DoD source at a descent frame sometime in the future :)

I have a 3.0C (clocked at 3.44), gig of RAM, and a 6800 nu (16 pipes @ 400 / 800), and I can get over 120 in the stress test with 1024 w/ everything high and 6x AA 8xAF. Funny thing is, my computer locks at 60 FPS in NORMAL CS (which I don't play), but this one it eats up. I know why it does it on the older games, but these new ones are I don't understand.

Do you have something major running in your background? I suppose it would need to be something extremely crazy... but still.

Well... what are your scores in other "benchmarks"? To tell the truth, I'm not a big futuremark fan, but if you tell us some other benchmarks we might be able to see if it IS your hardware or something with the game.

nova[11] said:
i just want it to run well so i can play DoD source at a descent frame sometime in the future :)

Circumventing rumours are saying that we won't see DoD:S or HL:S for a long time, even after HL2's release :(

·PitBuLL· said:
Circumventing rumours are saying that we won't see DoD:S or HL:S for a long time, even after HL2's release :(

Damnit! I have been waiting for DoD:S! *goes and cries in corner... has a bag of skittles if anyone wants to join* :(

nova[11] said:
Aquamark: 56102
3dmark03: 12055
3dmark05: 4888

Hmm... well, your 3DMark05 score and Aquamark scores look a little low...

A GT OCd to 420/1.1 should easily break 5k in 2k5, and my Aquamark score (with system in sig) was like 568xx. :confused:

*EDIT* Just ran Aquamark 3 with the 66.93 drivers and scored a 58,645 with my card at 350/1000.... with an OC like yours, you should probably be in the 60k range.

6800GTOwned said:
A GT OCd to 420/1.1 should easily break 5k in 2k5

This is why synthetic benchmarks are stupid... it's not just one thing that can throw a score off. His CPU could throw it off, how fragmented his hard drive is, the amount of things he is running in the back ground, anything. However, his 05 is CLOSE to 5k, and the others look fine, so I don't see anything WRONG with his computer at all.

I think it's something with Source man, you might want to try and reinstall it (if you haven't again...)

Elios said:
im getting 100-60FPS in CS:S @ 1280x1024 high refect all 4xAA 8xAF
and 89FPS in the Stress test at the same setting and this is with AIM IRC and winamp running

on the rig in my sig :cool:
on 66.93 drivers

ur kidding right? @ that resolution 1280x1024 i get just over 100 fps...... but only diff is i have an ultra.. and i run it @ same res with max aa and 16xaf and get 103 fps and @ 1600x1200 i get 85 fps.. weird
:confused:

You should check to see if you have the latest and greatest mobo drivers installed. I know a lot of experienced people forget this simple step and get crappy performance. Make sure you installed the agp drivers as well.

Possible solution:

You are probably having issues with nvidia's refresh rate. Go to the Nvidia control panel and disable force refresh. Your fps should go up dramatically. Use a third party software to force your refresh. Try reforce; it's from a uk site.

Forcing refresh with nvidia control panel causing massive drop in fps is a known issue with the 66xx series, and apparently more so with 66.93

Cambrian has a good suggestion.

CS: S is EXTREMELY CPU dependant. My old barton 2500+ at stock speeds on my 6800OC NU would drop to under 45fps on dust in one spot... o/cing to 2100mhz brought me up to100mhz dipped to 40fps...moving to my stock 3000+ a64 brought that to 45fps and my o/ced 3000+ running at 2300mhz rarely drops below 50

1024x768
Everything on High settings
No AA
8x AF
Reflect World

cambrian said:
Possible solution:

You are probably having issues with nvidia's refresh rate. Go to the Nvidia control panel and disable force refresh. Your fps should go up dramatically. Use a third party software to force your refresh. Try reforce; it's from a uk site.

Forcing refresh with nvidia control panel causing massive drop in fps is a known issue with the 66xx series, and apparently more so with 66.93

cambrian said:
Possible solution:

i have it set to application controlled refresh rates

Back