CS:S Character Identification Help..

P!rate

Move Like a MoFo
I bought this game yesterday and the main trouble im having is being able to tell the terrorists from the counter-terrorists, are there any distinguishing characteristics? Thanks a lot

After playing for more than 20 minutes you will feel silly asking this questions. However, the CT's look like their real life counterparts, wearing SWAT type suits with walkie talkies and armor etc. The terrorists look like your stereotypical Terrorists, wearing plain camo of different colors and tend to have more variety looks wise than the CT's.

To better identify, spend a few mins looking at the different models for each side when you are in the character selection screen.

i played like 6 hours.., thing is, when they are more than a couple feet away, i cant see who it is and i end up tk'ing

use the radar to see if you are aiming at a terrorist or a team mate.
Also, the name of the player will be the color of your team, either blue or red, when your crosshairs are on the person.

Also, use this command in the console,
cl_crosshairscale 5000

generally when i look on the radar its already too late :/, ill just play more i guess :p

Just get bright red skins for the Ts and blue for the CTs. Seems a lot of people are doing this.

I don't understand. If they aren't within shotgun range you can't tell the difference between someone wearing really dark colors and someone wearing light colors?

yea, im going to go ahead and guess this isnt part of the game

Skins are just additions, most people wouldn't consider it cheating. I knew a guy that had skins that made the Deagle look like the Golden Gun from Goldeneye, and tonnes of other ones.

Or you could play a good game like TF2 :p

I don't understand. If they aren't within shotgun range you can't tell the difference between someone wearing really dark colors and someone wearing light colors?

CS:S is very twitch, and I know what OP is talking about, unless they are right in front of you it can be hard to tell. It just comes with practice basically to distinguish. You do get better at telling the difference with practice though. My advice might be to go into non-TK rooms for a little while just to practice telling the difference.... so at least you don't get kicked/banned from games you might want to play on later. Just always be playing like there is TK.

play on some gungame servers. nice way to learn to use all almost all of the guns.

I had the same problem years ago, for the first couple of days maybe. In short; you'll get used to it. You'll be able to differentiate Ts from CTs very accurately.

Skins are just additions, most people wouldn't consider it cheating.
Using those bright neon model skins are nothing like skins which re-texture guns/maps/walls etc. Not comparable at all to the typical weapon texture etc. Those bright neon skin models (while "legal") are still considered "almost-cheating" by many players, he'd be doing himself a disservice if he uses them anyway. He won't be able to use them on pure servers as well.

Most people get over this issue after an hour or so of playing the game. Easier to do so in Source which has radar which shows where your teammates are.

P!rate>> there are servers for new players which have friendly fire disabled, and weapons like the auto-sniper disabled. You could play on those until you get the hand of things - should only take you a couple days at most.

Edit: Here's a related post I made a while back with a good bit of info for someone who was asking how to improve at the game.

Last edited:
There is a console command to make all the terrorist the white 'snow suit' model but I don't remember what it is.
That should be a legit way to help you out. Might what to look into it some more.

Using those bright neon model skins are nothing like skins which re-texture guns/maps/walls etc. Not comparable at all to the typical weapon texture etc. Those bright neon skin models (while "legal") are still considered "almost-cheating" by many players, he'd be doing himself a disservice if he uses them anyway. He won't be able to use them on pure servers as well.

Yeah, you can. Some don't seem to be hampered by servers enforcing consistency as do weapon models. There are lots of shitty things people set in their CS that aren't affected, like DX level stuff making people not be affected so much by flashes and such.

What I recommend is going in to spectate mode and watching the best players for a while. You might be smart enough to catch how different the good players are from the new ones... like controlling your fire, where to hold the crosshairs in anticipation of where the enemy pop out, how/when to throw grenades, or how to kind of work as a team (pubs kinda suck for this).... beyond that it'll start coming down to how well u can dodge fire while dishing out headshots... at least IMO

When you get used to maps, you know that only the opposing team is gonna pop out of certain holes in the early game.. or if you're rushing, only the opposing team will be facing towards you.

I can tell by the silhouette. Just watch for a helmet and Tac-vest. Also, if the character is solid blue, he is CT. Anything else is T.

CS:S > TF2
CS1.6 > TF2

Yeah, you can. Some don't seem to be hampered by servers enforcing consistency as do weapon models.
That's because the server was set to pure mode 1 with a whitelist for player models. Pure mode 2 servers this won't be possible, without actual hacks.
There are lots of shitty things people set in their CS that aren't affected, like DX level stuff making people not be affected so much by flashes and such.
You can play on servers with a secure server plugin running which prevents those things. For example I only play on match/scrim servers and Zblock blocks all those "legal" cheat settings. I'm sure there are many pub servers running Zblock as well, though I haven't played on a pub in years.

Just because there's other people who cheat or figure out ways to exploit the system to gain an advantage doesn't mean he should as well.

only thing he should do is to play more if he wants to adapt, if he's not 12yrs old or something then after a few days of playtime he'll eventually learn to use radar and footstep sounds to his advantage, my 2 cents

I had a hard time telling them apart when I first started playing as well. Like others said, play for a bit and you'll be able to tell them apart easily.

cl_minmodels 1
cl_minct 1
cl_mint 1

I believe those are the commands. I haven't used them in years but they're similar to that.

CS:S > TF2
CS1.6 > TF2

Ooo Oooo i got one!

Apples > oranges

If you want a game thats less about teamwork then play CSS, but if youre more about teamwork then play TF2. Seriously.. you can have a clutch player win matches for you in CSS but you cant have a clutch player win in TF2.

I used to be all about CS, but accuracy and recoil depend too much on settings. I hate playing at 800x600 to get less recoil and pixels peeking over boxes so you can headshot easily. Its stupid how you have to redo all these settings in order to have an advantage or to be used to playing in that sort of way. All i need is sensitivity settings and key bindings. I dont want to mess with tick rates or models or anything like that. Why cant people just be good at the game rather than having settings that make it easier for them to be better than other people?

But seriously try it, if you play CSS or CS1.6, lower your resolution and recoil will go down and hitboxes will get larger. You can tell when someones resolution is high when you spectate them and it looks like they are manually adding recoil to their shots.

But yeah, the models arent too good in this game. There is only one good one though, LEET KREW! Who needs armor when you have glasses and a razr.

but if youre more about teamwork then play TF2.
IMO that's TF2's greatest weakness, that by yourself you're useless in most situations. Whereas CS is BOTH a team oriented AND an individual based game, where you can be extremely effective with teamwork but by yourself you are still very much useful. Spectating CS matches (especially from top euro teams) the level of co-ordination they utilize is amazing.

Yeah its apples and oranges, just got fed up of the TF2 trolls posting in here.

Back