CS:S and Headphone Settings

Citizen86

Supreme [H]ardness
I searched a bit for the answer but couldn't find anything exact. I just got my XtremeGamer and have some decent headphones (Koss SB45's), now I keep the X-Fi settings to Headphone and enable CMSS-3D but turn CS to 5.1??

I don't play CS:S, but in my experience setting the speaker configuration to "2 speakers" instead of "headphones" produces a much richer sound in both music and games. FYI I've got the Audio-Technica A900 cans on an Audigy 2 ZS.

Maybe my reply has absolutely nothing to do with your post. lol

I don't play CS:S, but in my experience setting the speaker configuration to "2 speakers" instead of "headphones" produces a much richer sound in both music and games. FYI I've got the Audio-Technica A900 cans on an Audigy 2 ZS.

Maybe my reply has absolutely nothing to do with your post. lol

I've noticed the same thing with my HD 555s and X-Fi Fatality.

As for the OP, I'm not really sure what you're asking, otherwise I would try to answer.

I too am a little confused by the question, but you can go into CSS's audio options and select 5.1 from the options. I have 5.1 speakers and a 5.1 headset so I leave it at that. It does seem to provide better audio quality overall even when I was using sterio headsets.

forget the 5.1 crap, just use stereo, whenever i have tried cs:s with 5.1 sound in game or anything the sound is horrible, it is more like it is emulating the 5.1 and not real, i found i played much better on stereo sound (as said, not headphone, but stereo) with my Sen 595's.

forget the 5.1 crap, just use stereo, whenever i have tried cs:s with 5.1 sound in game or anything the sound is horrible, it is more like it is emulating the 5.1 and not real, i found i played much better on stereo sound (as said, not headphone, but stereo) with my Sen 595's.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I remember seeing a big thread a while ago on a different forum about the audio settings in Source with headphones. I played yesterday with 5.1 set, but I'll try using it with stereo and see if it sounds better.

BTW, I also tried setting my audio settings to 2.1 in the X-Fi console, and if the surround sound test within that console is any indication, then 2/2.1 sounds bad, the sound cuts in and out. I'll stick with headphones, but that's for me :D It always comes down to what sounds best for you.

I was asking if I should set CS to headphones, 2 speaker stereo, or 5.1 for best positional audio.

i think most people find headphones are best, simply ebcause of the enclosure of sounds and how one can listen for people, i find it more clear wiuth headphones then speakers, and having to crank my sound up, even though i have 2x 3Ft tower speakers right beside my desk, i play much better and reaction is better when using headphones

I always use the "headphone" settings on my X-Fi while using my DT-770's. I definitely prefer that setting to the "2.1 stereo" setting.

Another for 'Stereo' over 'Headphone'. The quality is much better in my opinion.

I have AT-A900s as well as HD650s. Set Windows and CS:S to 5.1, set creative console to Headphone CMSS-3D enabled, macro fx on, elevation filter off. I dont play 1.6 if thats what you were refering to so I have no idea how sound is there.

Back