CS:GO and TF2 source code leaks, fan projects shut down for fear of exploits

TF2 has been a cesspit of cheats for a while now. This is just the final nail in its coffin.

Happens on consoles too.. Blame the cheaters not the game.

33 years old, owned every single console since the original nintendo. Never once experienced cheating on console and all i played growing up were competitive mulitplayer ( still till this day actually, all i play )

Yeah, my son messaged me about this since he is a CSGO player.
It seems bad? Whats a few exploits!

I haven't played either of these games in years, so no biggie.

I just can't play online twitch shooters anymore - the best I can do is play Battle Royale shooters, and try to disappear into the background.

Yeah, my son messaged me about this since he is a CSGO player.
It seems bad? Whats a few exploits!

I think this is the real issue you should worry about.

From the article:
“It’s possible to do something with your PC files,” a Creators.TF mod says in the project’s Discord. “Cathook developer said he discovered a way to Remote Code Execute (RCE) on TF2 just by you being in the server. So it’s easy to get a virus, execute code that turns you into aimbot, or delete all your inventory by just playing.”

It's not really clear if this is still an issue or not in the current version of the game.

I haven't played either of these games in years, so no biggie.

I just can't play online twitch shooters anymore - the best I can do is play Battle Royale shooters, and try to disappear into the background.
I do not play those type of online games since I am older and my reflexes are just not there. I was watching Summit and Pokimane do the shooting tests.
Yeah, I am way too old.....

I think this is the real issue you should worry about.

From the article:
“It’s possible to do something with your PC files,” a Creators.TF mod says in the project’s Discord. “Cathook developer said he discovered a way to Remote Code Execute (RCE) on TF2 just by you being in the server. So it’s easy to get a virus, execute code that turns you into aimbot, or delete all your inventory by just playing.”

It's not really clear if this is still an issue or not in the current version of the game.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1253008945792286726/pu/vid/640x360/mA5bo8dvtUdq9gDH.mp4?tag=10

My son sent me that. Funny, but not funny.

33 years old, owned every single console since the original nintendo. Never once experienced cheating on console and all i played growing up were competitive mulitplayer ( still till this day actually, all i play )
It is impossible to run an aimbot or wallhack on a console because the code consoles run is signed by either MS, Sony or Nintendo by a program that only they have. You can't just write a program or modify an existing one in the SDK, distribute it on the net and have it run on retail consoles. It doesn't work like it does no PC.

There are many advantages of PC gaming over console gaming but this isn't one of them.

It is impossible to run an aimbot or wallhack on a console because the code consoles run is signed by either MS, Sony or Nintendo by a program that only they have. You can't just write a program or modify an existing one in the SDK, distribute it on the net and have it run on retail consoles. It doesn't work like it does no PC.

There are many advantages of PC gaming over console gaming but this isn't one of them.

You can modify consoles to run unauthorized code. Makes it a lot harder, and more risky, to cheat but it's very incorrect to say that consoles don't have cheaters or that it's "impossible" to use more complex cheats.

Yup, totally aware of that.

You can modify consoles to run unauthorized code. Makes it a lot harder, and more risky, to cheat but it's very incorrect to say that consoles don't have cheaters or that it's "impossible" to use more complex cheats.

but people like this guy are on a message board acting like cheating on console is completely normal and happens all the time.

Play cross-plat against PC from an Xbox or PS4, run into a hacker sometimes 3/10 games on Modern Warfare / Warzone. And that’s one you’ll physically see doing crazy like a no scope 400m headshot.

Turn OFF cross-plat on xbox or ps and see if you run into 1 cheater the entire month.

anyways, that’s all I have to say about that lol.

Last edited:
No idea why people want to cheat. It’s like “wow, this is fun, I’m clicking on heads as they pop up! Look at me, I won again!”.

No idea why people want to cheat. It’s like “wow, this is fun, I’m clicking on heads as they pop up! Look at me, I won again!”.

A lot of them get their jollies from ruining other people's fun. Same reason you see assholes engaging in team-killing in team-based games.

/Places tinfoil hat on head

It's awfully convenient timing for the leak, around the time that Tencent/Riot are trying to push their direct CS:GO competitor Valorant.

Hmmmm CS:GO already has a bunch of cheaters that will toggle on when they are losing the match... nothing new what's a couple more?

/Places tinfoil hat on head

It's awfully convenient timing for the leak, around the time that Tencent/Riot are trying to push their direct CS:GO competitor Valorant.

Leaking old code that's of no consequence to the current game would be a pretty shitty way to engage in a conspiracy.

but people like this guy are on a message board acting like cheating on console is completely normal and happens all the time.

Play cross-plat against PC from an Xbox or PS4, run into a hacker sometimes 3/10 games on Modern Warfare / Warzone. And that’s one you’ll physically see doing crazy like a no scope 400m headshot.

Turn OFF cross-plat on xbox or ps and see if you run into 1 cheater the entire month.
COD PC is the ONLY game I ever play. Several hundred hours over the last six months. Hacking is notorious.

I was hoping that cross platform play would bring a new player base but console gamers are getting wise and turning off cross platform play. I can't blame them.

"This guy" has a name. "It" aka cheating, has a lot of people doing it on both pc and console. Pc is just worse, not the only place it happens. You're wrong.

Last edited:
i saw a rumor last week that they are porting CSGO over to Source 2 engine. The maps have all already been done in Source 2 and downconverted. Interesting that this comes out right after.

I've been playing TF2 almost everyday lately, never saw a cheater, maybe because all I do is noob around as engi :D

45454545.jpg

Yup, totally aware of that.

anyways, that’s all I have to say about that lol.
Like we said:
Ignorance is bliss.

So you never played Halo 2 or any of the Call of Duty games online?
If you consider pulling out your network cord before a match you were about to lose so it will not get counted against you as cheating, then yes, there was rampant cheating in Halo 2.
If you consider a turbo function on your controller so semi auto becomes as fast as full auto as cheating, then yes, there are so many cheaters on console.
If you consider a bunch of really great players in COD that all join a party so they are always on the same team and will be able to decimate a random lobby as cheating, then yes, you can do that on all versions of COD.

But I am talking about real cheating. Like aim bots and wall hacks.

If you consider pulling out your network cord before a match you were about to lose so it will not get counted against you as cheating, then yes, there was rampant cheating in Halo 2.
If you consider a turbo function on your controller so semi auto becomes as fast as full auto as cheating, then yes, there are so many cheaters on console.
If you consider a bunch of really great players in COD that all join a party so they are always on the same team and will be able to decimate a random lobby as cheating, then yes, you can do that on all versions of COD.

Please, don't pretend to be ignorant. You were wrong. Consoles are not immune to cheating.

That stuff did and does exist on consoles. Yes it isn't nearly as prevalent as on PC, but it still happens.

In Halo 2 they had an online leaderboard at launch. They removed it a few months later to try to discourage the rampant cheating problem at the high ranks. I was rank 3 on the leaderboards and playing against and beating sponsored professional teams before the cheating started. I stopped playing after nearly every game I was in had cheaters. It was much worse the higher ranked games you were in. At this point all the top players moved on to private matches because the ranked games were so bad.

It wasn't "pulling out your network cord before a match you were about to lose so it will not get counted against you". You would actually get a loss if you did that.
What people did was called "bridging", where they connect their xbox to a PC and block or modify specific network traffic to cheat. Some people would just use it to guarantee they were the host to ensure they had the lag advantage, others would take it further and block things so specific players couldn't move or shoot.

In Call of Duty modded controllers were pretty prevalent, but I've also seen actual aimbots and players flying around with no clipping. I've also heard of this happening in Halo games but I never saw it in my own games.

Cheating in online console games has been happening since you could first play consoles online. On Dreamcast people used game sharks to dupe and modify items in Phatanasy Star Online, they also used it to player kill when they weren't supposed to be able to.

Back