Crytek Unveils All-New CRYENGINE V “Pay What You Want” Model

HardOCP News

[H] News
CRYENGINE V launches today with a “Pay What You Want” business model, offering developers everywhere total access to the engine’s feature-set and full engine source code for a fee of their choosing, and with no obligation to pay royalties or additional service charges. Users who decide to make a contribution for utilizing CRYENGINE V can allocate up to 70% of the sum to Crytek’s new Indie Development Fund – a grant program that will see Crytek directly supporting promising indie projects around the world.

The latest evolution of CRYENGINE also introduces CRYENGINE Marketplace. The Marketplace will enable developers to access individual assets from Crytek’s own library, as well as thousands of materials, sounds, and 3D objects created by the CRYENGINE community and other trusted vendors. Crytek’s Founder, CEO & President, Cevat Yerli, said: “CRYENGINE V represents our commitment to not only offering developers today’s most advanced engine technology, but also to making it as accessible as possible. The arrival of CRYENGINE Marketplace, the revamped engine UI, and new support channels will make it easier than ever to tap into the power of CRYENGINE – at a price that feels comfortable for each and every individual. Community is at the heart of our Pay What You Want Model, which we hope will foster closer collaboration between us and developers as well as developers amongst themselves.”

Yay another iteration of a engine notorious for needing over half of it rewritten to make half working games from. If the first 4 were any indication of 5, that is, most if not all games off this engine will be inherently broken and run like ass on any setting lol.

The marketplace idea sounds really cool. Could be a good thing for aspiring creators (both buying and selling).

Interesting, I'll be taking a look at this and tinker a bit.

The marketplace idea sounds really cool. Could be a good thing for aspiring creators (both buying and selling).

It's been needed, especially since UE4 launched with the feature. There's some great plugins/assets on their marketplace.

It's going to be a tough market to capture. So many engines, but will it play on Linux? If not, they're going to have a hard competition with source 2 and ue4. If you think Linux isn't being asked every day, I welcome you to look at any discussion board on steam. It's on fire.

So many engines, but will it play on Linux?
Not to fear. All 3 Linux users will be supported.

Access to all platforms
All users will get access to CRYENGINE on all supported platforms: Windows and Linux PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

Wonder if they were having trouble getting the big boys to play with their toy. 4 was already free for Indy game devs. Lot of other engines have been free as of late so they are just keeping up with everyone else.

Suppose they need to compete with UE4. Last I heard Cryengine 3 had lots of hidden fees or plugins that required additional money, so UE4 was a much better option. One of the TWI devs (RO, KF) said something to that effect.

Yay another iteration of a engine notorious for needing over half of it rewritten to make half working games from. If the first 4 were any indication of 5, that is, most if not all games off this engine will be inherently broken and run like ass on any setting lol.

Guess you never played Crysis 2 or 3? Then looked great and ran good to. On the demanding side but Crysis 3 still looks better than most AAA games.

Suppose they need to compete with UE4. Last I heard Cryengine 3 had lots of hidden fees or plugins that required additional money, so UE4 was a much better option. One of the TWI devs (RO, KF) said something to that effect.

Guess you never played Crysis 2 or 3? Then looked great and ran good to. On the demanding side but Crysis 3 still looks better than most AAA games.

I certainly would not call either of those shining examples of things done right. nor would I count a game made by the people who make the engine a good example of how it works in the real world for other people it is being promoted to be used by. They can alter it much more easily to make it work for their own titles or know way ahead of time the shortcomings it has before hitting them blind sided. They SHOULD work the best possible for that engine, yet even THEY have failed more than once with it. there is something like 60 Crytek engine games out, none of them work right without extensive modification and even then only just barely.

This engine is much different than previous versions, I suggest you start testing it out if you don't believe me.
Is this significantly different than LumberJack?

You mean Lumber Yard ;)?

Yeah its different.

I certainly would not call either of those shining examples of things done right. nor would I count a game made by the people who make the engine a good example of how it works in the real world for other people it is being promoted to be used by. They can alter it much more easily to make it work for their own titles or know way ahead of time the shortcomings it has before hitting them blind sided. They SHOULD work the best possible for that engine, yet even THEY have failed more than once with it. there is something like 60 Crytek engine games out, none of them work right without extensive modification and even then only just barely.

And were they reputable developers? Development teams that have successful great products in the past? I did license Cry engine 1 and 2 to I am very familiar with Cry engine's short comings, but creating a game the way you wanted it wasn't one of them. At least not from a level design point of view. Nor game design point of view. The main thing was support (dedicated) which is something to be expected when spending seven digits to get a engine. The dedicated support would have taken care of the lack of documentation.

This engine is much different than previous versions, I suggest you start testing it out if you don't believe me.

You mean Lumber Yard ;)?

Yeah its different.

lol. Yes. I meant Lumber Yard. I've downloaded Lumber Yard but have yet to install it and look through it. I imagine there has to be some similarities though.

There are quite a bit of similarities work flow wise, but the UI, networking and a few others are very different. I actually like lumberyard a bit more than Cry engine 4, haven't tried out of Cry 5 much at, but its UI has been changed quite a bit too, reminds me more of UE4's UI.

Back