Crytek To Repair Reputation With "Really High Quality Games"

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let's all hope this statement is true. It would be nice to see Crytek back in the headlines for games rather than financial problems.

Crytek co-founder Avni Yerli discussed the damage the company's recent financial woes did to its reputation, explaining to MCV that a longer and more expensive than anticipated "transition to an online company" was the root of the problems. He says they now have a framework in place for the next couple of years, and says they can restore their good name with some good games.

Here is what I read..

We decided to exploit our customers by releasing a bunch of trash and crapping all over their trust. However now that we have been called out on it and sales are actually slipping, We are going to pretend we are sorry and insult you further by saying "Ok the games now will be Serious For Reals, Please continue throwing money blindly at us".

Yea....unlikely.

Marketing teams solution "Crysis 4: A Really High Quality Game"

That's how it works right, the proof is in the title.

Here is what I read..

We decided to exploit our customers by releasing a bunch of trash and crapping all over their trust. However now that we have been called out on it and sales are actually slipping, We are going to pretend we are sorry and insult you further by saying "Ok the games now will be Serious For Reals, Please continue throwing money blindly at us".

Yea....unlikely.

Crytek is a good Dev who makes games that actually seem like they were made for PC... So yeah I will continue to throw money at them.

Crytek is a good Dev who makes games that actually seem like they were made for PC... So yeah I will continue to throw money at them.

Crytek makes crappy games with good graphics yet terrible performance even considering the level of graphics.

I'll continue to not give them a penny.

I hope they actually do follow thru with this. Still love original Crysis with a passion. 2 and 3 can lick my balls but what's that saying 4th times the charm?

Well, Crysis 4 would be the "3rd times a charm" if you start counting the failures at #2.

I'm looking forward to what they push out, even if it is a very nicely polished turd.

The engine isn't supporting the rift.

Looks like that disconnect the company has with the market isn't actually being addressed.
These guys are clueless

Here is what I read..

Yea....unlikely.

Sounds about right :)

I lost interest in them when they said that they were planning on shifting their focus to online F2P. Lets just hope they will start making games like Crysis again, because if they think they can make online F2P and restore their good name with that, they are mistaken.

The engine isn't supporting the rift.

Looks like that disconnect the company has with the market isn't actually being addressed.
These guys are clueless

Because that Oculus Rift market is really taking off, right?

After the stunt they pulled with Crysis 2 and tesselated walls and oceans I've avoided Crytek. Bad game releases afterwards didn't help. So far they have given me no reason to look at anything they do again.

Because that Oculus Rift market is really taking off, right?

Depends on if you are talking the market in terms of end consumers, or the market in terms of media buzz. Right now, being the coolest thing on VR gets you talked about places for free. Look at alien:isolation.

Technically it probably is taking off if you look at year on year units shipped as a percentage.

I lost interest in them when they said that they were planning on shifting their focus to online F2P. Lets just hope they will start making games like Crysis again, because if they think they can make online F2P and restore their good name with that, they are mistaken.

This 100%

Proof will be in the pudding. Let's hope the pudding isn't from their ass...

Proof will be in the pudding. Let's hope the pudding isn't from their ass...

hqdefault.jpg

mmmm more Crysis. I just hope they don't hire more Hollywood directors to spice it up. That screwed up Crysis 2 so bad.

considering they hate PC users and have stated 10 times in the last 2 years that they are moving to 100% free to play I don't see any high quality product coming through in.... ever

i have been having BIG fun playing Warface one of their F2P games for about 3 months now, and have spent about $50, i will spend more, but it is a fun game that appeals to the masses. It is updated regularly and has a very large following. So what are they doing wrong ??

i have been having BIG fun playing Warface one of their F2P games for about 3 months now, and have spent about $50, i will spend more, but it is a fun game that appeals to the masses. It is updated regularly and has a very large following. So what are they doing wrong ??

I honestly think most people don't even know what Warface is or when it came out, so it is pretty easy to argue what they did wrong.

How about Crysis 3 visuals with a HL1 or HL2 like storyline and gameplay?

I hope they actually do follow thru with this. Still love original Crysis with a passion. 2 and 3 can lick my balls but what's that saying 4th times the charm?

And that right there is some of the problem. The went and got all consolified after the original crisis. Karma is a..... well you know...

Crysis and Crysis Warhead were fucking awesome games, not even just the graphics, they were fun, both singleplayer and multiplayer. How they lost their way with this, I don't understand. Come on Crytek, you can do it.

Crysis and Crysis warhead were good games but they never pushed the envelope since then, it's been 7 years and the games don't look significantly that much better.

Then they came out and blamed Piracy for all of there problems and focused their efforts on Consoles to make more money...but I guess that didn't work out for them now that they running out of cash.

I'm not saying Graphics are the end all of gaming but give us something to get excited about again like Crysis once did, take it to the next level...build it and we will come.

Crysis and Crysis warhead were good games but they never pushed the envelope since then, it's been 7 years and the games don't look significantly that much better.
Crysis 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YLdWeQnBE
Crysis 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhSGCBVZg0

Each generation will be smaller and smaller in jump as we reach photo realism, that is a simple fact gamers seem to forget. If you want that "wow" factor, live in a cave for 20 years, then you'll see a bigger jump in quality than what you last experienced.

Crytek is the typical example of a company with good engineers and shitty management
How many fancy sofas total do they have in their 7 (SEVEN) subsidiaries I wonder?

And what the actual fuck is this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddmXqfds3oc
"LoL is making money we better do it too!!111 lel yolo"

Hey mr Yerli how about some fucking focus?

The original Crysis and Warhead was good, Crysis 2 was fun but Crysis 3 was just trash, I really do hope Crytek does pick up the ball this time and make quality games, not lame linear generic games like their latest projects which got boring real fast.

I honestly think most Americans don't even know what Warface is or when it came out, so it is pretty easy to argue what they did wrong.
FTFY. Warface is actually the most played multiplayer game in several other nations at the moment. The game was originally developed and marketed for China and Russia.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2014/04/01/warface_hits_25_million_registered_users
The above news post was the first I had heard about the game and I, too, thought that this was some kind of April Fool's joke.

Crysis 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9YLdWeQnBE
Crysis 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvhSGCBVZg0

Each generation will be smaller and smaller in jump as we reach photo realism, that is a simple fact gamers seem to forget. If you want that "wow" factor, live in a cave for 20 years, then you'll see a bigger jump in quality than what you last experienced.

Just how big of a jump is it from Crysis 1 to Crysis 3 anyway? Not very, Seven years is a long time.

The reason why the jump is smaller and smaller is because they don't make games to take advantage of gaming PC's, they make games for consoles.

Just how big of a jump is it from Crysis 1 to Crysis 3 anyway? Not very, Seven years is a long time.
Maybe you are young and seven years still feels long? :p

I guess you perceive things different than I.

If you sat a random person down in front of a moving image, say 20 years ago, almost 0% of them would think it's photo realistic. 10 years ago maybe 50%. Now maybe 75%. I'm guessing in ten years it'll be like 88%. Those top percent that can tell the difference are us gamers and other graphics nerds. We are conditioned to spot the differences with a magnifying glass. Most people are not though.

Look at movies as another example. They are not held back by console technology, are they? They still can't manage to pull off consistent photo realism, and when they do it can easily take a butt-load of computers weeks of render time. Ten years ago it was much much worse, 20 years ago impossible.

IMHO we have not yet entered the uncanney alley. Some movies get there, but games have a damn long ways to go. Once we are there, 7 years will feel even slower. Will you still blame consoles at that point?

The reason why the jump is smaller and smaller is because they don't make games to take advantage of gaming PC's, they make games for consoles.
Not very? I think Crysis 3 looks exactly one PC "generation" better than Crysis to me, which it actually is (DX10 -> DX11). I recently played through the first one again, and I have to say while it is still impressive, it does look pretty dated now compared to other modern graphics powerhouses like Metro: Last Light and Crysis 3. Texture size and model complexity has a lot to do with it, but there are other more subtler effects being utilized that can make a modern game look far more impressive. In my eyes, the jump between Crysis and Crysis 3 is similar to the jump between Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

I just wish we saw more people building amazing games with their engine. The graphics are incredible; the tall waving grass level in Crysis 3, with the lion-like aliens coming after you? Never played a level like that before, and the open area was huge. Pretty amazing PCs can handle that level of detail now.

The rest of the game? Meh. I really hated pigeon-holing the bow into the game. Mainly because I hate the huge crosshairs so I turn them off, and I was terrible aiming with the bow without an x-hair. :D

Back