Crytek is hinting at a remastered version of Crysis

I just played through the whole series within the last month or so for the first time. Playing Crysis and Warhead was pretty annoying just because of the constant crashing and performance issues they had, esp. if you played them in full-screen. You have to play them in borderless windowed mode to get decent performance for some reason and despite trying every trick I could find online, it would still crash occasionally, but some of them helped at least. What seemed to help the most, at least on the first Crysis was turning down/off some of the IQ settings oddly enough, lol. But it was funny when I played around with all the graphical options; I basically got the same exact performance whether I had everything turned all the way down or completely maxed out.

So It'd be fuggin awesome if they did remake them or at least ported them to a modern engine or something to make them much more scalable and compatible with newer hardware and OSs.

I just played through the whole series within the last month or so for the first time. Playing Crysis and Warhead was pretty annoying just because of the constant crashing and performance issues they had, esp. if you played them in full-screen. You have to play them in borderless windowed mode to get decent performance for some reason and despite trying every trick I could find online, it would still crash occasionally, but some of them helped at least. What seemed to help the most, at least on the first Crysis was turning down/off some of the IQ settings oddly enough, lol. But it was funny when I played around with all the graphical options; I basically got the same exact performance whether I had everything turned all the way down or completely maxed out.

So It'd be fuggin awesome if they did remake them or at least ported them to a modern engine or something to make them much more scalable and compatible with newer hardware and OSs.
The 64-bit retail version has none of the crashing issues that the 32-bit digital version does. Regardless, performance is indeed still pretty limited on today's PCs. The game seems to hit a wall at 70-80 FPS still on modern hardware. So long as the remaster at least retains all its effect including the destructible terrain I'm all for a remaster. I'm just wary of any kind of remaster on more recent games like this due to how ones like Doom 3 BFG and Bioshock Remastered turned out.

The 64-bit retail version has none of the crashing issues that the 32-bit digital version does. Regardless, performance is indeed still pretty limited on today's PCs. The game seems to hit a wall at 70-80 FPS still on modern hardware. So long as the remaster at least retains all its effect including the destructible terrain I'm all for a remaster. I'm just wary of any kind of remaster on more recent games like this due to how ones like Doom 3 BFG and Bioshock Remastered turned out.

That was one of the fixes I tried - using the 64-bit executable and files. Didn't help in my case. I had the Steam version, which people online said was only 32-bit, but it had the Crysis64.exe and 64-bit folder/files for the game in the directory still, so I deleted/moved the 32-bit files and .exe and it didn't help, so then I downloaded the GOG version's files and tried that and it didn't help me either. Not sure if there was a more recent Win10 update that broke the game or what.

That was one of the fixes I tried - using the 64-bit executable and files. Didn't help in my case. I had the Steam version, which people online said was only 32-bit, but it had the Crysis64.exe and 64-bit folder/files for the game in the directory still, so I deleted/moved the 32-bit files and .exe and it didn't help, so then I downloaded the GOG version's files and tried that and it didn't help me either. Not sure if there was a more recent Win10 update that broke the game or what.
That's why I said "retail" version. I still have my original retail DVD, but I think you can download the associated files from somewhere. They screwed up the 64-bit files in the digital distribution version somehow.

That's why I said "retail" version. I still have my original retail DVD, but I think you can download the associated files from somewhere. They screwed up the 64-bit files in the digital distribution version somehow.

Apparently the GOG version was the same as retail from what I saw. Others were saying it fixed it for them at least, but it still didn't work for me when I downloaded them, but I think I actually tried to download another .zip with the "retail" files as well. Maybe they were both the wrong files, but I saw others saying that zip worked for them at least at that time.

Apparently the GOG version was the same as retail from what I saw. Others were saying it fixed it for them at least, but it still didn't work for me when I downloaded them, but I think I actually tried to download another .zip with the "retail" files as well. Maybe they were both the wrong files, but I saw others saying that zip worked for them at least at that time.
I have no idea, then. The game has always worked fine for me across 4 different PCs and operating systems over the last 13 years.

Crysis is still one of the better shooters over the past decade and a half. I will absolutely play the remade version.

Check the end of this video to see the first map remade in the new engine:

I do hope this ends up being a full remake.

I'd rather they remade Far Cry, than Crysis. Crysis was only good while you fought north koreans, the alien bit was frustrating and over the top.
FarCry still remains one of the most memorable experiences for me. From Crysis I only remember the bad.

As for cryengine: it's curious that only crytek games ever looked good on it, which suggests to me that it is not a very good engine to work with.

IMO the best part about Crysis was the graphical detail. It was one of those games where it's just amazing to look around and enjoy details you've never been able too see in games before The gamplay wasn't anything special. If they remake it and it looks like that video I'll play it assuming it comes out anytime soon.

The performance to detail ratio sucked in cryengine which is why Crysis doesn't run much better on the hardware we have now.. It's probably a big reason why the engine isn't popular. Hopefully performance and detail scale better in the new version of the engine, but I doubt it will. They seem more focused on getting incredible detail than performance.

I'd rather they remade Far Cry, than Crysis. Crysis was only good while you fought north koreans, the alien bit was frustrating and over the top.
FarCry still remains one of the most memorable experiences for me. From Crysis I only remember the bad.

As for cryengine: it's curious that only crytek games ever looked good on it, which suggests to me that it is not a very good engine to work with.
Far Cry gets even worse when the mutants are introduced. The end of the game is all kinds of levels of frustrating on anything but the easiest difficulty level. I enjoyed Crysis a lot more because the alien element was much more balanced and made more sense than the mutant nonsense in Far Cry did. Ironically, seemed like the perfect game for Uwe Boll to make a movie out of and he did.

Far Cry gets even worse when the mutants are introduced. The end of the game is all kinds of levels of frustrating on anything but the easiest difficulty level. I enjoyed Crysis a lot more because the alien element was much more balanced and made more sense than the mutant nonsense in Far Cry did. Ironically, seemed like the perfect game for Uwe Boll to make a movie out of and he did.
You're joking right? The mutant bit was the most thrilling part of Far Cry, it literally felt the hunter become the hunted. The only bit that was bad is the very last mission that seemed like it was from Doom level design wise with doors opening and releasing enemies in rooms. Until then all of it was great.

You're joking right? The mutant bit was the most thrilling part of Far Cry, it literally felt the hunter become the hunted. The only bit that was bad is the very last mission that seemed like it was from Doom level design wise with doors opening and releasing enemies in rooms. Until then all of it was great.

Personally I didn't like it when the mutants were introduced. I thought it dragged on too long, and Far Cry certainly wasn't a 30-60 hour slog by any means. It was similar to Crysis in that respect, the first part of the games were the best to me. I agree the alien parts of Crysis were not as good because it killed a lot of the freedom but they were still fun missions.

I've only done Far Cry once, but replayed Crysis many times. While Far Cry was open ended there simply wasn't much you could do to change up your approach. As an example in the harbor mission of Crysis, you could take a boat across the lake, or drive across a bridge. You could use active camo and silent pick off enemies until you got up to the AA and then toss C4 on them to complete the objective. Or you could maneuver in guns blazing and get a rocket launcher and take them out. The tank map was similar. You could jump out of the tank and slowly progress on foot, could access a high ridge/road and use a sniper rifle from a distance to pick off enemies. Or you could drive in at ground level.

I don't recall that level of gameplay options in Far Cry. I did like the game, but it never left much of a lasting impression on me. I did play Far Cry 2 through twice and enjoyed it both times. FC2 in a lot of ways was more sophisticated than 3/4/5/ND.

Thats odd, I played for hours on end in the day and dont recall crashing problems.
Twas most fun.

I'm not doubting your problems, just that it seems to be a stark difference from my early play.

Thats odd, I played for hours on end in the day and dont recall crashing problems.
Twas most fun.

I'm not doubting your problems, just that it seems to be a stark difference from my early play.

On a recent build of Win10? Which version of the game too (Steam, GOG, retail)? Also, are you on an AMD platform?

On a recent build of Win10? Which version of the game too (Steam, GOG, retail)? Also, are you on an AMD platform?

After some initial troubleshooting my version on Origin ran mostly flawless. Been a while though but it was on win10

Hope the suit modifications are still available in the game files if they remake it. So much fun after beating it regularly to soup up the super suit and go crazy lol. Glitching out into the skybox due to hyper speed movement hah.

Hunt Showdown is probably the best looking game on PC right now and it is Crytek.

first few minutes of this video show why

Last edited:
Bring it on.

Although why don't they just make a new sequel instead of another remastered game that we already bought long ago? O well, it's been so long since I played my copy that it will probably seem new anyways.

Bring it on.

Although why don't they just make a new sequel instead of another remastered game that we already bought long ago? O well, it's been so long since I played my copy that it will probably seem new anyways.
Cause remasters are the cool thing atm. It requires a lot less work and they probably need a quick buck.

Bring it on.

I don't think they can really make a sequel after the ending of Crysis 3. I mean, they kind of left it open for one, but the Ceph are dead and the conflict with them is what drove the whole series.

This was many many moons ago, I think you misread my post. I was trying to say it played without crashes back in the day.
Windows 10 wasnt out. I am inclined to point the finger in this direction.
Intel btw.

The last few times I've tried to run the original Crysis I've still had issues with the FPS being locked to 24, crashes to desktop, graphical issues, etc. Alt+enter mashing and lots of "compatibility mode" tweaks help, but the crashing was still enough to make me bail on it quickly. That's with both the disk version and the GOG one.
Warhead is even worse. Last I recall it didn't work at all.
I'd be happy with a Crysis bundle that didn't necessarily change anything, but just fixed everything to work better with modern PC's.

One of my favorite games of all time, the destructible environment was pure awesome! Many different ways to accomplish missions with different paths, vehicles or none at all. Suit allowed many different types of encounters and variations. Only the last parts did it fall apart but everything before that was bliss. Would love to see and play a quality made remake with today's tech and hardware being pushed.

I know they can't due to licensing, but I'd like a remade Far Cry more than Crysis. I loved that game. Well, at least until the last level or two when things get insane.
That game spearheaded the concept of a sandbox shooter while still keeping individual levels. I appreciate that. There aren't many games that have kept that structure...other than the Crysis games.

The last few times I've tried to run the original Crysis I've still had issues with the FPS being locked to 24, crashes to desktop, graphical issues, etc. Alt+enter mashing and lots of "compatibility mode" tweaks help, but the crashing was still enough to make me bail on it quickly. That's with both the disk version and the GOG one.
Warhead is even worse. Last I recall it didn't work at all.
I'd be happy with a Crysis bundle that didn't necessarily change anything, but just fixed everything to work better with modern PC's.
The 24 FPS thing can be fixed if you have an NVIDIA card by setting the Preferred refresh rate option in the control panel to Highest available.

The 24 FPS thing can be fixed if you have an NVIDIA card by setting the Preferred refresh rate option in the control panel to Highest available.

I don't have that option. Seems it's only there for certain monitors. I'm on a TV.

I've only done Far Cry once, but replayed Crysis many times. While Far Cry was open ended there simply wasn't much you could do to change up your approach. As an example in the harbor mission of Crysis, you could take a boat across the lake, or drive across a bridge. You could use active camo and silent pick off enemies until you got up to the AA and then toss C4 on them to complete the objective. Or you could maneuver in guns blazing and get a rocket launcher and take them out. The tank map was similar. You could jump out of the tank and slowly progress on foot, could access a high ridge/road and use a sniper rifle from a distance to pick off enemies. Or you could drive in at ground level.

I don't recall that level of gameplay options in Far Cry. I did like the game, but it never left much of a lasting impression on me. I did play Far Cry 2 through twice and enjoyed it both times. FC2 in a lot of ways was more sophisticated than 3/4/5/ND.
Far cry was like that on almost all maps, except the interior maps like the archives. ON all the others you could choose your attack. I remember doing the demo at least half a dozen times, which was one of the missions where you start in a rubber dingy and you can choose where you disembark. And there were at least 3 or 4 maps that were similar. I also remember one map where you had to infiltrate some big factory, you could literally walk all around it 360 degrees before deciding how to enter. I choose to drive a truck trough the front gate if I Remember correctly :)

Some of the levels were semi-linear, but still open enough that you could either stealth, snipe, or fight your way trough bases within them. And then there were the glider missions. And last but not least the river mission that had this vietnam vibe to it, fighting your way trough different obstructions along the way. To me Far Cry is the spiritual predecessor to games like Mercenaries 2, or Ghost Recon Wildlands, games that just lets go of your hand and you can do the fighting any which way you like. Parachuting into the middle, or slowly methodically neutralizing all enemies in close quarters, or sniping them from afar, or even driving over them in a vehicle. You could do all of these things in Far Cry. And to a degree in crysis too, but only before the aliens. AS soon as the aliens hit it becomes a generic and frustrating shooter. Even Warhead did the alien bits better.

Far cry was like that on almost all maps, except the interior maps like the archives. ON all the others you could choose your attack. I remember doing the demo at least half a dozen times, which was one of the missions where you start in a rubber dingy and you can choose where you disembark. And there were at least 3 or 4 maps that were similar. I also remember one map where you had to infiltrate some big factory, you could literally walk all around it 360 degrees before deciding how to enter. I choose to drive a truck trough the front gate if I Remember correctly :)

Some of the levels were semi-linear, but still open enough that you could either stealth, snipe, or fight your way trough bases within them. And then there were the glider missions. And last but not least the river mission that had this vietnam vibe to it, fighting your way trough different obstructions along the way. To me Far Cry is the spiritual predecessor to games like Mercenaries 2, or Ghost Recon Wildlands, games that just lets go of your hand and you can do the fighting any which way you like. Parachuting into the middle, or slowly methodically neutralizing all enemies in close quarters, or sniping them from afar, or even driving over them in a vehicle. You could do all of these things in Far Cry. And to a degree in crysis too, but only before the aliens. AS soon as the aliens hit it becomes a generic and frustrating shooter. Even Warhead did the alien bits better.

I remember the last part of Far Cry (last 30% or so) being fairly locked down. The first part was pretty good. But I've only played through it once, many years ago. So maybe I don't quite remember. I was a huge HL2 fan back then, and preferred that a lot more even if very different in gameplay.

I would not mind a similar style game to Far Cry or Crysis 1 in a different franchise. I thought FC3 and 4 were good, but they're simply too much alike now with the last two entires. Going back to the FC1 roots would be an interesting take.

Last edited:
The later 4-5 levels of Far Cry were definitely linear. It was the first half of the game where things were wide open to many approaches. While I hated the last couple levels with the millions of rocket-launcher Trigens, the River level (as mentioned by M76) had a really cool vibe in spite of being mostly linear. Some people hated everything after the Trigens showed up, but there were some really good levels leading up to rocket hell at the end. Crysis had a similar point where things went off the rails (aliens), but it was much sooner. Far Cry was a pretty long game.
I still like the new Far Cry games, but they're all mostly the same. 5 at least deviated a little with the plot, but the game is incredibly similar to 3 and 4. Those two might as well have been the same game. They were good, but a bit too similar.

The later 4-5 levels of Far Cry were definitely linear. It was the first half of the game where things were wide open to many approaches. While I hated the last couple levels with the millions of rocket-launcher Trigens, the River level (as mentioned by M76) had a really cool vibe in spite of being mostly linear. Some people hated everything after the Trigens showed up, but there were some really good levels leading up to rocket hell at the end. Crysis had a similar point where things went off the rails (aliens), but it was much sooner. Far Cry was a pretty long game.
I still like the new Far Cry games, but they're all mostly the same. 5 at least deviated a little with the plot, but the game is incredibly similar to 3 and 4. Those two might as well have been the same game. They were good, but a bit too similar.

Now I remembered what I found frustrating about the end of the game, on top of it just being linear and less interesting than the first part.

Interesting, because I get the option on my Samsung KU6500.

Weird. I just double checked to make sure it hasn't been added at some point. It's definitely not there. I'm on a KS model, so maybe it's model specific.

"maximum armor" and "cloak engaged/"- let's rock again. Oops- maybe that was one of the later games in the series. been so long now, I forget.

Man I can't tell you how fast I would shell out the cash to buy a remastered Crysis!!

Yeah I know it had bugs and wasn't perfect but I've got so many great memories with that game.

I started PC gaming back in 08 because I wanted to play Crysis and see those legendary graphics. Then I cut my teeth on overclocking trying to get the Crysis benchmark over 40 fps for hours on end.

I haven't played the game in at least a year but if I watch a gameplay video, just the music and sound effects bring back a flood of nostalgia for me.

Man I can't tell you how fast I would shell out the cash to buy a remastered Crysis!!

Yeah I know it had bugs and wasn't perfect but I've got so many great memories with that game.

I started PC gaming back in 08 because I wanted to play Crysis and see those legendary graphics. Then I cut my teeth on overclocking trying to get the Crysis benchmark over 40 fps for hours on end.

I haven't played the game in at least a year but if I watch a gameplay video, just the music and sound effects bring back a flood of nostalgia for me.
Shooting down trees was/is so much fun! idk why lol.....kinda like shooting out tires in the division games (it never really gets old :))

Back