Crytek Demos Real-Time Ray Traced Reflections Running on an AMD Vega 56

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by cageymaru, Mar 15, 2019.

1. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard|News

Crytek has released a new video demonstrating the results of a CRYENGINE research and development project called Neon Noir. Neon Noir is based on an advanced version of CRYENGINE's Total Illumination showcasing real-time ray tracing. The demo shown below is running on an AMD Vega 56 and demonstrates how real-time mesh ray-traced reflections and refractions can deliver highly realistic visuals for games. This feature is expected to be available to developers using CRYENGINE in 2019. The demo was created on a bespoke version of CRYENGINE 5.5 and the experimental ray tracing feature is both API and hardware agnostic. This means that it will run on AMD and NVIDIA GPUs. Crytek will optimize the technology to benefit both the current generation of graphics cards and supported APIs like Vulkan and DX12. Thanks Gideon !

Neon Noir follows the journey of a police drone investigating a crime scene. As the drone descends into the streets of a futuristic city, illuminated by neon lights, we see its reflection accurately displayed in the windows it passes by, or scattered across the shards of a broken mirror while it emits a red and blue lighting routine that will bounce off the different surfaces utilizing CRYENGINE's advanced Total Illumination feature. Demonstrating further how ray tracing can deliver a lifelike environment, neon lights are reflected in the puddles below them, street lights flicker on wet surfaces, and windows reflect the scene opposite them accurately.

scojer, GDI Lord, c3k and 18 others like this.
  2. clockdogg

clockdogg Gawd

Oh....Shiny! Shiny rays for the rest of us.

blandead, GDI Lord and Dayaks like this.
  3. Legendary Gamer

Legendary Gamer Limp Gawd

That's some impressive shit. Honestly, don't buy into the Nvidia horseshit. It can be done, smoothly, on any modern video card. Nifty. Only reason why I do have a 2080Ti is for the horsepower. Never used the Ray tracing. .

GDI Lord, EQvet80, MBTP and 11 others like this.
  4. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

I just wished they had a demo version I could download and run on my machine to see how well it does. Granted I am running a 1080 not a Vega 56 but it would be interesting. Also shows what I knew all along, tenser cores are unneeded.

GDI Lord, MBTP, Madmeerkat55 and 5 others like this.
  5. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

we can always depend on Crytek to push technology forward

6. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

So Ray Rracing can be achieved without "RT cores"? Did Nvidia lie to us?

7. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

It took a while and I bet it will improve, there is no need for raw ray tracing imo.
    This wouldnt matter if Moors law kept on track but with costs starting to spiral per extra MHz, we need short cuts.
    Sweet.

lenne0815 likes this.
  8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks n00b

Tensor cores have nothing to do with raytracing; they are for things like AI etc. The raytracing has yet another architecture (the RT cores).

captaindiptoad and 1Nocturnal101 like this.
  9. elite.mafia

elite.mafia Broke Back [H]

Looks really damn good. Something about the aesthetic reminds me of Bioshock, not entirely sure why.

10. Lakados

Lakados [H]ard|Gawd

With Amazon backing them I wouldn't be surprised if they woke up one morning shortly after the RTX launch and said "Who wants to flip off nVidia?"

11. zalazin

zalazin [H]ard|Gawd

this makes Nvidia look like they are scamming everyone, I for one will not touch a RTX card. This whole ray tracing chip thing is now exposed as a non required fraud.....

12. GameLifter

GameLifter Limp Gawd

I want to see how it runs and looks in an actual game before getting too excited. Still, the demo looks nice.

13. demondrops

demondrops Limp Gawd

crysis 3 still makes my gfx card sweat a little :p i guess we can call bs on the RTX cards lol, and it becomes harder to justify the price aswell. crytek always pushed the boundaries on pc!

14. Nytegard

Nytegard 2[H]4U

I was thinking Blade Runner. Forget trying to use it on action games. We need a detective game, something film noir-esque, where you don't need 200+ fps to have an enjoyable experience.

15. DukenukemX

DukenukemX [H]ardness Supreme

I've been saying for a while that you don't need an asic for ray tracing. I've shown demos from 2011 with real time ray tracing. But nvidia has reasons like not depending on the CPU for consistant performance. More likely to lock ray tracing to their hardware and therefore brand.

BTW battlefield V did ray tracing on a gtx 1080 ti first.

16. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

They tech never said it couldn't be achieved with a non rtx card it also shows your ignorance on path tracing, let me follow the same guidelines you gave RTX and NVidia "any games, spent 800$ for a card and no Ray traced games" so garbage......that's pretty much how you guys sound

TAP and ZeroBarrier like this.
  17. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

so this video is saying that Crytek will be implementing ray-tracing into their games without the need for a hardware specific RTX card?

18. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Frankly speaking some of these idiots are spouting non-sense they clearly show they are ignorant to how the technology works and why NVidia used Rt cores and tensor cores, as cool as it is there just isn't enough compute right now to do it with proper path tracing, which this is using "mesh" I am more interested in what they did and how they did it, from the looks of it they are cheating it in a way that makes it work with maybe hardly any impact? I don't know, it will be interesting to dissect this.

19. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

With the limitations and performance relative to using hardware- and whether the engine can leverage RT hardware at all- as to anyone's guess.

20. 1Nocturnal101

1Nocturnal101 Gawd

Maybe, I'd wait till a game actually uses it and your not 720p 30fps.....reserve judgment for then.

euskalzabe and ZeroBarrier like this.
  21. GameLifter

GameLifter Limp Gawd

I've known from the beginning that ray tracing doesn't need any special cores to be achieved and that the RT cores in RTX cards are there to accelerate it. I feel people are getting overly excited by this canned demo. It's impressive and all but we need to see how it looks and performs in a game before declaring RTX cards a complete scam when it comes to ray tracing.

22. euskalzabe

euskalzabe Gawd

Well, you and anyone else with half a brain that actually read the details on the technology. 20 years ago we had raytracing, when neither RT nor GPUs existed. Of course the RT cores are only meant to accelerate raytracing calculations (currently done at 1 ray per pixel or less, then just denoising the mess they output). You could do the same on a CPU, just slower.

Seems like Crytek have designed a way to use shaders to raytrace more efficiently. Again, this is nothing new, as Microsoft has always said that DXR would use shaders in the absence of raytracing hardware (which is all that RTX does, accelerate calculations to then translate them to DXR so they work via DX12):

upload_2019-3-15_19-5-16.png

The interesting thing will be if Crytek's approach enables at least 1080p30 rendering with a similar degree of quality as the RTX 20 series.

Araxie, Revdarian, TAP and 9 others like this.
  23. Oldmodder

Oldmodder Gawd

24. GameLifter

GameLifter Limp Gawd

Sad thing is that it seems a lot of people think that RT cores are required for ray tracing or that Nvidia said they were so they are getting way too excited about this demo and declaring RT cores a scam. If the technique Crytek is using can get good results and run decently on all hardware then that would be fantastic but it's also reasonable to think that it won't look as good as what RTX cards can produce and still cause a performance hit.

Chimpee, {NG}Fidel and ZeroBarrier like this.
  25. DrDoU

DrDoU 2[H]4U

looks good. if i bought a rtx card i might start to fume. still glad i didnt one way are the other.

26. Krenum

I'm very aware of what path tracing is. My post was full of questions, not statements. Get the sand out of your vagina and your BS out of here! *Statement.

27. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

If a games uses this and AMD does as well as nVidia, then RTX is a scam.

If a game uses this and AMD is at a disadvantage, then nVidia paid off Crytek.

That’s the narrative, I’m calling it now. :D

It’s been known forever and nVidia even said RT can be done on other vendor’s cards since it’s based on DirectX or Vulkan.

28. Krenum

I don't believe its a scam since the technology actually works & they are the first card on the market to do it, BUT they sure as heck touted like they created the technology, which is kind of deceiving to the public.

MBTP, GHRTW and Darth Kyrie like this.
  29. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

I never got that gist and I watched damn near every interview.

30. misterbobby

misterbobby 2[H]4U

Perhaps you should bother to do a few seconds of research as the tensor cores are used for denoising during Ray tracing.

Revdarian, MBTP, Darth Kyrie and 2 others like this.
  31. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge [H]ardForum Junkie

:ROFLMAO:

GoldenTiger likes this.
  32. Marees

Marees n00b

Yesterday:
    But can it play Crysis ?

Tomorrow:
    But can it play Neon Noir ?

Darth Kyrie likes this.
  33. dvsman

dvsman 2[H]4U

Very cool! At the rate that we are getting more CPU cores and threads, I can finally see a use for 16/32/64 core CPUs.

MBTP, Marees and Darth Kyrie like this.
  34. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

RT cores is rather a misnomer, as I don't believe there is any such thing. There are FP32, FP16, and tensor cores. The FP units may be used for anything, the tensor cores are used for DLSS and denoise.

35. GoldenTiger

GoldenTiger [H]ard as it Gets

They never said anything about it being invented by them.

ZeroBarrier and HAL_404 like this.
  36. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Crytek has been making amazing engine work their whole company history. They are what id used to be.

37. Crystoff

Crystoff [H]Lite

Wonderful video results. I thought the reflections in Crysis 3 were excellent already, but this goes far beyond. As a card-carrying Crysis trilogy fanboy I'd love to see Crytek use this to breathe new life into that series.

MBTP, Auer, Darth Kyrie and 1 other person like this.
  38. HAL_404

HAL_404 Limp Gawd

if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, well, you know how this saying goes

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Darth Kyrie likes this.
  39. Krenum

You're right, and I never said they did.

MBTP likes this.
  40. euskalzabe

euskalzabe Gawd

Technically speaking, physics are physics, light is light, and math is math. whatever Crytek is doing to calculate their raytracing should look exactly the same as what DXR or RTX calculate. The only difference should be in the performance impact, where Nvidia probably will have the performance advantage for now because their RT cpres are designed to accelerate these calculations. That does not mean, however, that other vendors won't get there with software in time, as I would fully expect them to do.

Revdarian and GameLifter like this.