Crytek and Deep Silver Announce Homefront: The Revolution

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wage guerrilla warfare and reclaim the streets of Philadelphia in Homefront: The Revolution, a captivating new free-roaming FPS to be co-published in 2015 by Crytek and Deep Silver. Coming to Xbox One, the all-in-one games and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®4, PC, Mac and Linux in 2015, Homefront: The Revolution throws players into a near future dystopia. Catastrophic events have brought the United States to its knees and enabled the Korean People's Army forces to impose a brutal military occupation. Trapped in this American nightmare, Philadelphia has become a police state, where surveillance drones and armored patrols keep her once-proud citizens at heel, crushing any dissent with totalitarian force.

What a horrible plug for Xbox One... really? Even after the June update, the 360 and PS3 will still be better all-in-one entertainment consoles.

Crytek came to popularity by filling as gaping hole left by iD Software. And now a decade later they're falling into the same realm of mediocrity.

lesson learned: THERE IS NO ROOM remaining for more big money licensable engines besides Unreal :rolleyes: Most companies either roll their own or go with the pain they know (rather than the unknown).

So, why do they keep trying with shit like this? Even iD gave up after the sound of crickets following their release of iD Tech 4.

First one blew chunks. One of the few times I totally felt ripped off by a game. Will not buy this one except maybe as part of a developers bundle or something on Steam sale.

The first game's single player was moderately decent. The multiplayer was horrible though. This will be another bargin bin.

First things I thought of when I saw the trailer:

1) This is what Watch_Dogs graphics should have looked like... :D

2) Looks like he stuck the RPG in the launcher the wrong way. :p

Wasn't the first one done by Kaos? I thought they went out of business cause they shafted their Frontlines customers and botched Homefront.

Maybe a new dev studio can make it better?

And we all know its going to look nothing like this when it finally releases.

yup -- i liked the trailers, I'd love an open world free roaming game like this.

Too bad we won't get it. this is just like every other big "AAA" title out there, all flash and gimmicks. The actual product will be watered down and crippled.

It will be rushed, incomplete, full of bugs. Just like every other god damn "awesome" title is.

Will they fight in Philadelphia ... for real? I know in Chicago they would welcome our new Korean Overlords. :D

i liked the last homefront game, the sp was decent. This looks amazing if actual gameplay looks this good like they tease, but everything I am thinking has already been said in this thread, ala watch dogs.

Here's to patiently waiting for the Witcher 3.

And we all know its going to look nothing like this when it finally releases.

Yes. I think a lot of us have learned our lesson over the years. I see this as prerendered, non-actual gameplay. It'll look like what is out now, no better.

I really dropped my expectations because of so many games that show off amazing graphics and gameplay then dumb it down a LOT. Now, I never preorder games and always wait for them to go on sale. So, the developers and publishers lose sales because of their tactics. Sucks, too. Some games could have been very good.

This looks like a great game, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be any good. Bargain bin buy only. If they deliver quality as shown in the video, I get a great, cheap game. If not, I get a cheap game. Developers need to earn the trust back.

So this is the Red Dawn (remake) game. Doesn't look too bad.

Its a sequel to the game Homefront. That game was made by the guys who created a studio after completing Desert Combat - or rather, after DICE/EA used them for BF2 and then released them. Crytek bought the IP from the THQ firesales.

That is if I'm recalling it correctly. The original was a very CODish linear shooter. The fact Crytek seems to be wanting to make this an open world FPS, is awesome. I've always loved the Red Dawn story of an at home invasion. The fact we might get an open world to wage guerilla warfare, is awesome. I loved the Mercenaries (original) as it pitted a small group versus a vastly superior enemy.

What I'd like for them to do is being a little squad AI into it. Like the bastardized R6 series by Ubisoft or Brothers in Arms, or OpFlashpoint.

Yes. I think a lot of us have learned our lesson over the years. I see this as prerendered, non-actual gameplay. It'll look like what is out now, no better.

I really dropped my expectations because of so many games that show off amazing graphics and gameplay then dumb it down a LOT. Now, I never preorder games and always wait for them to go on sale. So, the developers and publishers lose sales because of their tactics. Sucks, too. Some games could have been very good.

This looks like a great game, but I'm not holding my breath that it will be any good. Bargain bin buy only. If they deliver quality as shown in the video, I get a great, cheap game. If not, I get a cheap game. Developers need to earn the trust back.

Hopefully Crytek funds this like a possible hit IP. It could go two ways. They could do a simple revenge story and make it linear. Or they could give us something on the scale of FarCry but with a guerilla warfare RPG twist. There's a mod for Arma3 which has you establish contacts, set ambushes, set traps, gather weapons.

Imagine it you had to recruit and arm people. It'd put a nice twist into conserving ammo and collecting the weapons people drop. You'd have to tactically think out targets. Set traps and ambushes. Develop good will (don't kill civvies) to get perks.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll get that. It's too strategic and requires thinking. We all know that most gamers just want to shoot things. They don't want to think about the ramifications of doing it.

Will Jason Statham beat up James Franco in this one, too?

Hopefully Crytek funds this like a possible hit IP. It could go two ways. They could do a simple revenge story and make it linear. Or they could give us something on the scale of FarCry but with a guerilla warfare RPG twist. There's a mod for Arma3 which has you establish contacts, set ambushes, set traps, gather weapons.

Imagine it you had to recruit and arm people. It'd put a nice twist into conserving ammo and collecting the weapons people drop. You'd have to tactically think out targets. Set traps and ambushes. Develop good will (don't kill civvies) to get perks.

Unfortunately, I doubt we'll get that. It's too strategic and requires thinking. We all know that most gamers just want to shoot things. They don't want to think about the ramifications of doing it.

Damn. That sounds awesome. I'd love a game like that. I've been looking for a FPS that drops the standard FPS model (shoot people, move forward, shoot more people, move forward). That'd be cool. It's a lot more realistic and requires thinking more than just quick thumbs. Last time I was happy with gameplay that was off the FPS path was with STALKER. The others are just the simple run and gun, which is getting stale.

Welcome to obamas AmeriKa.

Game looks good but lets get real I will be 100% surprised if it looks close to these graphics. I used to stay on the bleeding edge of pc parts, Eebraying my current card when that brand new model was shipped. I finally realized that these games ran almost just as great on a card costing $250 less, with the going rate of $100 pr 5FPS/base. Get the graphics looking great, include more than 2 hrs of SP and polish that turd or I wait for steam Christmas sale.

So this is the Red Dawn (remake) game. Doesn't look too bad.

The new Red Dawn actually was Chinese invaders but got stuck in development hell when the Chinese government bullied the studio into taking out all references to China and replacing them with something else. It caused the movie over a year delay to theaters.

Back