Crytek: 40 upcoming titles powered by CryEngine

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
Source article here.

...Developer CryTek have revealed that there are around 40 CryEngine-licensed titles currently in production. "We haven’t been able to announce many of them as yet,” says Carl Jones, CryEngine's Director of Business Development, “but we have publishers that have signed up for licenses with CryEngine as well as independent developers so there are some good products on the way.”

"The next game that’s going to be released using CryEngine 3 will be from Illfonic, a game called Nexuiz, which is an arena-based shooter. That’s going to be a downloadable release on consoles. So that’s going to be a really high-end, triple-a experience for anyone that wants to download it from XBLA, PSN or PC".

High-end....on Consoles. Cool story. :mad:

I'm letting it go. I'll still buy Crytek titles at the right price. Same as activision or anyone else, but when it comes to industry news I gloss over at anything from this bunch. If some two-bit dev in australia was announcing a PC game I'd call that news more than any bullshit spouted by the triple AAA studios.

Crytek "We have over 40 title blegh blegh blegh" translates to "We don't have anything worth noting to discuss we just desperately trying to stay relevant"

If some good games come out of this, then I can't think of any good reason to complain

(that's just me personally, I don't mind if others complain)

Triple A XBLA and PSN title??? I'm guessing it will be a budget title on the PC as well. The only triple A game using a Crytek engine I believe is Aion, which uses Cryengine 1 that debuted with Farcry. Although EA does have a large range of IPs, I assume for instance if Bioware develops another Mass Effect or similar game it will use Cryengine 3 or Frostbite 2.

But the leader in this category is undoubtedly Epic with Unreal. If you look back at the many of the best titles on the PC and your favorites, whether they are PC only, crossplatform, or indie efforts there is a good chance they use Unreal 3.

They are saying their engine is not only hot shit and selling well but also affordable and workable for big studios and indie developers alike, and as such, totally empowers the licensees with everything they need to make a AAA game for both console and PC.

Hire me Crytek, I can dumb shit down for people who can't read your stuff without their face becoming the color of a tomato.

Last edited:
As much as I despise Yerli, I think this is good news.

Unreal Engine's dominance as middleware really needs to end. I'm sick of its tiny maps/load zones everywhere and how almost all the games look samey. Arkham Asylum aside, you can spot a UE game a mile away.

After bullshitting the community, Cryteck go suck on a hairy, flea infested moose testicle in the middle of the road during rush-hour traffic as far as I'm concerned. The false marketing bullshit has got to stop.

So that’s going to be a really high-end, triple-a experience for anyone that wants to download it from XBLA, PSN or PC".

I'll believe it when I see it. Until then, fuck them losers.

Maybe this is, or at least could be, a good thing. Get the engine away from Crytek and its INGSOC-level doublethink and see what some fresh eyes and hands can do with it...

That said: if there are forty third-party CryENGINE games in development now, how many of them will actually make it out of development? Half that? One-quarter?

I wouldn't discount CryEngine 3. A big side effect of CE being ported to consoles is that it becomes infinitely more attractive to license.

Which probably means Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 5 will probably use it. That's the flip side of it all...

They are saying their engine is not only hot shit and selling well but also affordable and workable for big studios and indie developers alike, and as such, totally empowers the licensees with everything they need to make a AAA game for both console and PC.

Hire me Crytek, I can dumb shit down for people who can't read your stuff without their face becoming the color of a tomato.

Haha, this.

High-end....on Consoles. Cool story. :mad:

I laughed out loud.

I was so excited for Cryengine 3 before Crysis 2 came out, and when Crysis 2 came out I was like... wtf?

Sure, it looks good, but I expected so much more. IMO Crysis looks MUCH better than Crysis 2. If they had made textures better (even the hi-res texture pack isn't very impressive), and given it a more realistic feel with lighting, I'd have enjoyed it more. I know it's sci-fi and everything, and it should feel sci-fi, but I was hoping for some better lighting in the game to seem more authentic.

I can't wait now. I loved Crysis 2 and I really am curious as to what they're coming out next.

Nice troll Tudz, almost thought you were serious for a second :)

SeriousCat.jpg

Nice troll Tudz, almost thought you were serious for a second :)

Bah, screw you :p

Where did you get a picture of me?!? Are you spying on me Plague?

But seriously, I dont get the random hate in this thread. They're licensing an engine, its like saying because you didn't like UT3 or the business practices of Epic Games by extension you dislike Unreal Engine 3 and all games developed with it, lol. We haven't even seen what the engine is capable of producing other than one game developed on it which really wasn't bad by comparison to the multiplatform competition.

If they can license out their nothing new or worthwhile engine over established engines offering known potential, more power to them.

Cry me a river :p

Regardless of your opinions on Crytek I think its hard to deny CryEngine3 is a pretty good multiplatform engine. BUT BUT BUT they aren't developing for PCs and PCs alone, waaah. Get over it. There are very few better looking games than Crysis 2 and even fewer multi platform ones (you can argue metro 2033, but that's all closed off environments so its not really comparable).

If CryEngine3 really has the ability to develop on all 3 platforms and see the work on all 3 platforms like the demos they've shown I think its a great thing for gaming in general that people are starting to use it. Dont we actually want good games? Oh sorry, this is something related to Crytek... it has to be a tech demo, only non-Crytek affiliated companies are allowed to make good games that only have "good" graphics rather than "tech demo" graphics, my bad.

I have a feeling that DICE's Frostbite 2 engine is going to show them all how to come up with a good engine, once that takes advantage of PC's capabilities today while still being able to run on the old ageing consoles.

I'd rather see more developers using Frostbite 2 engine:D

There is a difference between developing a scalable engine that can take advantage of PC's hardware and then scale it down for the console, AND merely developing an engine that caters for the lowest denominator. The later is a lazy ass approach.

licensing the engine is all good and all, but who cares unless we get some titles? And their description of the triple-A titles on consoles did make me laugh. Triple-A on console = budget on PC.

I have a feeling that DICE's Frostbite 2 engine is going to show them all how to come up with a good engine, once that takes advantage of PC's capabilities today while still being able to run on the old ageing consoles.

I'd rather see more developers using Frostbite 2 engine:D

There is a difference between developing a scalable engine that can take advantage of PC's hardware and then scale it down for the console, AND merely developing an engine that caters for the lowest denominator. The later is a lazy ass approach.

There are more factors from the developer end when choosing what engine to use than simply what will potentially look the best for the end user, and I stress potentially. Just from a visual perspective what an engine is capable of doing and what a developer chooses to do and can make it do is something quite different.

For instance no game actually uses the current build of Unreal 3 fully. Crysis 2 doesn't actually even use Cryengine 3 fully I believe.

Where did you get a picture of me?!? Are you spying on me Plague?

But seriously, I dont get the random hate in this thread. They're licensing an engine, its like saying because you didn't like UT3 or the business practices of Epic Games by extension you dislike Unreal Engine 3 and all games developed with it, lol. We haven't even seen what the engine is capable of producing other than one game developed on it which really wasn't bad by comparison to the multiplatform competition.

im in ur intanets, steeling ur glamah shots. :D

I do agree with the UT3/UE3 analogy at the moment, although time will obviously tell if CryEngine 3 can take off this late into the life cycles of consoles.

As for games other than Crysis 2 that currently sport CE3, there is the upcoming Kinect game Ryse that got some brief coverage at E3, which looks to have decent graphics for console standards.

If it's 40 console titles,I could care less. Everything I've seen from it makes it nothing more than CryEngine 2 dumbed down for consoles. If someone can take it and make a decent PC title with it,fine,but I'm not holding my breath.

A lot of PC gamers hate Epic as well, but there have been some damn good games on UE3. There's a line between quiet contempt for the business that sold you out and disgusting immaturity.

Epic has all but completely abandoned the PC market. There are great games on UE3, which Epic may have created, but these individual games are made by other companies to the PC.

Any competition for Unreal Engine 3 is a good thing IMO.
Crytek overpromised with Crysis 2, boo hoo. Still doesn't take away from the fact that CE3 is probably still by far the most cutting edge and powerful engine out there, although Frostbite is looking rather incredible too.

I wouldn't discount CryEngine 3. A big side effect of CE being ported to consoles is that it becomes infinitely more attractive to license.

This. I don't know about you, but I'd rather have something different powering some games that's not UE3.

Back