Crystal Skull Writer To Pen Indiana Jones 5

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Well, David Koepp also wrote Jurassic Park, so maybe not all is lost. And is Indy just going to be sitting in a university all day? Ford will be 77 when the film comes out.

Plot details are being kept secure in the Well of the Souls. It is unclear if Koepp is working off any existing treatment or story. Crystal Skull, for example, had treatments written by Indiana Jones co-creator George Lucas and the story credit went to Lucas and Jeff Nathanson, the latter of whom wrote several drafts. Lucas' involvement in the new movie project remains unclear. He was not mentioned in Disney's announcement this week, and if the new Star Wars movies are any indication, he will not be involved. (He was vocal in saying Force Awakens did not use his ideas.)

Indy was born in 1899 - Raiders was 1936, he was 37 yrs old - Add 40 yrs, now he's 77 - So the movie would take place in 1976? or thereabouts. Old Indy in 1976? Hmmm... That just doesn't feel at all right.

SRbanner.jpg

When?

Eh. I blame most of Crystal Skull's problems on bad casting and George Lucas. Spielberg has said that Indy 4 was George Lucas' vision and movie. Also, given how many people put their hands on big Hollywood movies none of them are ever written by one person. This guy will do a draft, it will be tweaked by other writers, maybe he'll do a second draft or they'll bring in another person to do a draft, even when the script is "final" and approved changes will be made. Spielberg and probably Ford will make changes while the movie is in production. The "final" script could get a ton of rework done while filming is happening, and so on.

It will be an alternate timeline film, it will start with the Goonies as kids rummaging through the attic and find an article about One Eyed Willy and the guy that was looking for the treasure will be Indiana Jones, not Chester Copperpot.

When the Goonies start their adventure looking for the lost treasure, they get sucked into a time vortex that brings them into the past and they meet up with Indiana Jones and they all go searching for the treasure.

It will be title "Indiana Jones and the lost treasure of One Eyed Willy"
The cover art will have Indiana Jones at the top with the Goonies at the bottom.

Indy was born in 1899 - Raiders was 1936, he was 37 yrs old - Add 40 yrs, now he's 77 - So the movie would take place in 1976? or thereabouts. Old Indy in 1976? Hmmm... That just doesn't feel at all right.

This was exactly what I was thinking when I first heard about this.

If Star Wars Episode VII (aka IV.1) is anything to go on, it will be a rehash of Raiders with bits of Temple of Doom thrown in.

Ugh...

Crystal skulls would have been better not made.

Why not trample all over my childhood...

As shitty as this is, its not as bad as reading endless comments from mouthbreathers groaning about "muh childhood."

Get the fuck over it already. They're just commercial products.

Eh. I blame most of Crystal Skull's problems on bad casting and George Lucas. Spielberg has said that Indy 4 was George Lucas' vision and movie. Also, given how many people put their hands on big Hollywood movies none of them are ever written by one person. This guy will do a draft, it will be tweaked by other writers, maybe he'll do a second draft or they'll bring in another person to do a draft, even when the script is "final" and approved changes will be made. Spielberg and probably Ford will make changes while the movie is in production. The "final" script could get a ton of rework done while filming is happening, and so on.
bad casting and Lucas.

9189283.jpg

WORST COP OUT STORYLINE METHOD EVAR (unless the film is about aliens, then proceed)

That's not to say that there shouldn't be a movie about the Crystal Skulls or the Nazca Lines.

The alien heads and ending was nothing in comparison to the fridge scene. That one scene alone will go down in history....like the abortion scene in Prometheus.

bad casting and Lucas.

WORST COP OUT STORYLINE METHOD EVAR (unless the film is about aliens, then proceed)

Let's be honest here, aliens are not that much of a stretch beyond the supernatural stuff the series as dealt with. What's more unrealistic ancient aliens or the power of "God" smiting the villains in Raiders? Or the ridiculous magic crap in Temple or the Holy Grail in Crusaders. It's not all that well done in the movie and it kind of misses the campy fun that even Temple of Doom managed to get, but aliens themselves would be fine if the movie itself justified it better. The aliens are a deus ex machina, but that's not exactly unique to the series.

It'd be good if

1. They stick to practical effects and don't go overboard on cgi sequences (monkey swinging scene....oy vey)

2. No shia, bring in someone like Anthony Ingrubber, imo he could pull the role off better and the series would be more fitting going forward with him vs Shia.

3. Keep the story campy but interesting. You can still have supernatural elements but keep the meat of the story focused on adventure/mystery and less overall "action."

$100 He has himself killed, I think Harrison Ford wants all of his characters to be dead.

Let's be honest here, aliens are not that much of a stretch beyond the supernatural stuff the series as dealt with. What's more unrealistic ancient aliens or the power of "God" smiting the villains in Raiders? Or the ridiculous magic crap in Temple or the Holy Grail in Crusaders.
If that's the kind of argument you're going to make, then we may as well have fairies and leprechauns in the next film. I'm sure it can be made into good campy fun and be easily justified.

If that's the kind of argument you're going to make, then we may as well have fairies and leprechauns in the next film. I'm sure it can be made into good campy fun and be easily justified.

Here's the thing, aliens aren't a huge stretch from where the movies have gone before. A combination of the pulp, adventure serials of the 40s along with the alien craze of the Cold War era is not a bad idea. It fits both Indiana Jones and the time period the movie was set in. It's not as outrageous as fantasy monsters. A better script, a tighter reign on controlling the tone, better casting, and it might have actually been possible to pull off. It also would have helped if it was actually an Indiana Jones movie and not a Shia LaBouf movie guest starring Harrison Ford and some Russians with horrible accents (though, fitting for the era they were drawing from). I think Cate Blanchett's character was one of the biggest issues with the movie. Her powers were just kind of there and were rarely all the useful or interesting. For as problematic as Temple of Doom was, the stuff down in the pit was fun to watch and really well done. They played up the mystical powers in Temple. In Crystal Skull, it just didn't work. She wasn't an interest villain, her fate sucked, everything about her was just underwhelming. It doesn't help that they didn't give enough for Indiana to do, instead opting for the damn monkeys and terrible actors. The movie was so clearly designed as a Shia LaBouf vehicle instead of an Indiana Jones movie.

Crystal Skull was a horrible movie for the Indiana Jones story. It had absolutely NOTHING to follow on the first three films. Horrible plot, stupid monkey scene, unbelievable when the truck fell off the cliff (really??). Even if it wasn't labeled Indiana Jones, I would have thought it was a 3rd class movie. I sincerely hope this one has nothing to do with aliens!

Back