Crysis:WH..Initial Ice Scene...bring PC to knees

KillRoy X

Gawd
So, you see my specs.

I run with most things on Gamer and a few on Enthusiast. Shaders on Gamer. Things were running ok until the first Ice scene in the sub. This brought my PC to single digits. Horrible frames, unplayable. Is this scene infamous for crippling PC's? I just thought my computer would run this ok, especially after Crtek said it could run on a $600 PC.

I run one of those DX9 custom configs and my frames never dip below 25fps @ 1680x1050 and the game looks identical to DX10 to boot. I would suggest you look into one of those, trust me you will not be disappointed.

Try playing everything on gamer and some on mainstream. Drop the water settings to the lowest set. I always see improvement with this. Also, the game gets better and better from that point on.

Thanks, will do tonight. One thing that's bothering me. I can't find the game on the computer. I always have to go to the drive that has the disc and run it from there. Where the heck is it so I can choose DX9?

Bah Vista.

Thanks, will do tonight. One thing that's bothering me. I can't find the game on the computer. I always have to go to the drive that has the disc and run it from there. Where the heck is it so I can choose DX9?

Bah Vista.

Wouldn't that just slow you down? AFAIK, Vista only runs DX10 and it just has the games running through a DX9 emulator but you're still running DX10.:confused:

I had to exit the game and go back in for the performance to come back. Good to see i'm not the only one who experienced that.

Wouldn't that just slow you down? AFAIK, Vista only runs DX10 and it just has the games running through a DX9 emulator but you're still running DX10.:confused:
That's untrue. Vista ships with both DX10 and DX9.0L. You can get DX9 updates for Vista, and in fact those are often required to play newer games.

----
You can force DX9 mode in Crysis by adding -DX9 to the end of the shortcut Target link, after the last quote. I've played it both ways and it doesn't make much of a difference. Both the DX10 and DX9 paths have problems. :(

I thought if you had the shortcut on your desktop, you simply right click and the option to run in DX9 was there. That's what I did with Crysis. With Warhead, I just can't find the darn thing.

Somebody mentioned exiting out and getting back in. You know, I had the same issue with Crysis coming out of the mountain. I totally forgot about that. I'll try and start tonight and see if I still get the ridiculously slow frames.

Crysis is pretty weird. One of my friends with an HD 4870 and E8400 couldn't play the game at all at 1680x1050 Gamer and even Mainstream stuttered a little bit. I gave him my custom config and now he can set every single non-custom option to Enthusiast and it runs perfectly.

Crysis is pretty weird. One of my friends with an HD 4870 and E8400 couldn't play the game at all at 1680x1050 Gamer and even Mainstream stuttered a little bit. I gave him my custom config and now he can set every single non-custom option to Enthusiast and it runs perfectly.

Exactly my point. I played through the game first time with everything set to enthusiast and it obviously ran slow. Under a custom config I'm getting fantastic framerates. The difference in terms of performance is literally night and day.

I think it would be much more helpfull if you stated which custom config you used, so that other people can try it and compare results.

I use the config provided by Hamidxa in this thread. However, unlike his config I changed all the settings that werent custom to Enthusiast and also enabled SSAO.

With the rig in my sig I ran through the whole game with an average of ~27 fps.

All settings on enthusiast @ 1680x1050
noAA

Ran the Ice level ok. and ran the frozen ship part fine too.
On gamer settings it jumps up to mid 30's.

Well that's strange. After I started it last night the ice level ran fine. Actually really good. Not sure why it does that, but the same thing happened on the original. Those ice textures are ridiculous.

Back