Crysis Warhead First Look

this really hurt my brain...:confused:

Shoud have said "How does how many copies they may or may not have sold justify 20 million people getting it for free?". Me and grammar don't get along.

meh, they should just have the game constantly phoning home for activation checks.... say every 15 minutes it has to do a few pings otherwise activation fails and the game runs in 640x480 resolution with no sound and low gfx detail..... oh yea, and it drops you back to desktop after 5 minutes....

the 3 people that can run the game that dont have internet will eventually get over it.... and everyone else.... will be just fine....

Buy it and when it gets cracked install it with the crack. Bam, you bought it AND you don't have to deal with their copy protection.

LOL.. Too right, brother. Everything else is bullshit justification for stealing.

If the copy protection is anything like that of BioShock's, count me regrettably out. :(

And I think it's a little bullshit that developing Crysis 2 depends on Warhead's success. They would probably make it for consoles, at least.

DRM on Bioshock didn't bother me it was unobtrusive. Bioshock sold very well due to hacking groups taking a week or so to circumnavigate the copy protection. If publishers can delay the game being cracked immediately upon release then people will actuially buy the game rather than download it.

If Warhead comes with strengthened copy protection then fine by me as long as Crytek continue to develop on the PC then I'm happy. Hopefully Warhead will be a big improvement on Crysis, for me it needs to improve quite a bit, hopefully more Korean action and less alien mumbo jumbo for a start.

Good for you, but the nature of it deterred me from buying it. That and the demo didn't thrill me too much.

I'd say it boils down to system requirements, among other things. It's not a casual, mainstream game, as the system requirements for playing it "as it's meant to be played" (ambiguous, I know) are pretty tremendous, and it has a fair degree of depth and complexity in addition to being rated for mature players. If we call Zoo Tycoon mainstream, off-the-shelf family fun, then Crysis is the exact opposite of that. The anti-Zoo Tycoon ;)

And the little name placard Yerli has sitting on his desk may as well read "gasbag". Who truly believes that, out of 100 people potential Warhead buyers, there'd be only one PC gaming enthusiast in the bunch? What on Earth...?

There's the annoyance factor of copy protection -- the bullshit that I personally have to deal with if I buy the game -- but there's also the principle of copy protection. I'm just not going to support a company who willingly implements excessive, anti-consumer DRM schemes. That also has the potential to negate any interest I might have in future Crytek games, so one lost sale may very well turn into two, three or five lost sales within the next ten years. Big problem.

If only Silus weren't day-banned so he could chime in here :eek:

I'm only reading the closest thing we have to facts and providing analysis on it. I have no interest in arguing with you about it vs your own speculations.

Also, on that note, IGN posted a new article about the game asking Yerli some specific questions.

http://pc.ign.com/articles/884/884757p2.html

I do have to say, his answers leave a lot to be desired. This guy seriously thinks he's in a position to make demands and offer rewards, or else. lol

This guy seriously thinks he's in a position to make demands and offer rewards, or else. lol

how is he making demands? All he is doing is laying out his company's strategy, and what they would do if certain situations play out.... thats all....

seriously, after seeing how much the PC gaming community is bitching about one of the last big PC exclusive releases, I do have to say.... I hope that after Warhead Crytek really does just forgo PC exclusivity.... they'd gotten nothing but grief from the community, and they would have made *far* more money in the console arena.....

How do they get these figures? So if piracy didnt exist Crysis would have sold 20million copies. :rolleyes:

It's pretty hard to calculate how much is lost due to piracy even if you know exactly how many copies were pirated. Just because someone pirates a copy doesn't mean they would have purchased a copy if they couldn't get a freeby version.

I do have to say, his answers leave a lot to be desired. This guy seriously thinks he's in a position to make demands and offer rewards, or else. lol
For a CEO of a game development company, he seems miraculously out of touch.

how is he making demands? All he is doing is laying out his company's strategy, and what they would do if certain situations play out.... thats all....

seriously, after seeing how much the PC gaming community is bitching about one of the last big PC exclusive releases, I do have to say.... I hope that after Warhead Crytek really does just forgo PC exclusivity.... they'd gotten nothing but grief from the community, and they would have made *far* more money in the console arena.....

While yes, he is simply stating his strategy. He clearly has a mindset that the community "owes" it to him to buy his game after he decided to make it PC exclusive. And yes, I do find that funny.

There's a lot of critique about this decision, "Why don't we just go for console?" And yes, it could be done; it could be done pretty straightforward. But I still want to have Crysis on the PC; the dominant platform should be PC. And Crysis should be on PC. This is a philosophical decision here. We'll see how it holds up here, and we see if our exclusivity is not rewarded, it will have consequences.

This excerpt clearly shows that mindset.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Far Cry and I loved Crysis and I love the PC exclusivity, and I will continue to enjoy Crytek's titles as long as the quality remains constant (in my opinion). But I do believe Yerli's mindset on the industry has overall negative impacts to both the community and to his company. Again, just look at this whole situation!

For a CEO of a game development company, he seems miraculously out of touch.

Yes, this is a great way to put it.

While yes, he is simply stating his strategy. He clearly has a mindset that the community "owes" it to him to buy his game after he decided to make it PC exclusive. And yes, I do find that funny.

meh, I don't think he is implying that they are owed anything..... he is just articulating what *ANY* reasonable person would do in their situation. nothing more, nothing less......

I know a few people who pirated the game just because they wanted to play it, and didn't want to pay $50 to run it on Medium with their brand new PC.

So this gives them the right to steal the game?! They should at least wait for it to hit the $20 to $30 dollar mark and buy it then instead of flat out stealing it.

I never paid that much attention to pirating but now that it "appears" to be affecting whether I get exclusive pc games it royally pisses me off that these cretins are ruining my favorite gaming platform. But what can be done about it? :mad:

This has ‘meh’ written all over it for me. Chances are, a large portion of the environments and enemies are going to be exactly the same as Crysis. Oh, it’s from a different perspective? And they are finally going to attempt to code and optimize the game correctly, like they should have done the first time? Woo-hoo!

It just looks like a way for them to scrape up more cash that they originally expected to get from Crysis, with minimal effort.

But what can be done about it? :mad:
Just keep buying games from developers/publishers you want to support. That's all any of us can do.

This is something publishers are going to have to figure out if they want to keep delivering on the PC, and so far, most have been trying to attack it from all the wrong angles.

meh, I don't think he is implying that they are owed anything..... he is just articulating what *ANY* reasonable person would do in their situation. nothing more, nothing less......

I'm looking more at the psychology of his thoughts and how he expresses them, with which words. He used the word consequence, which has the definition relating to inference, which in turn has this definition: the process of deriving the strict logical consequences of assumed premises.

I could be wrong, of course. But I take his words meaning that people should buy his product because he offers it exclusively, but if they don't then he will dismiss exclusivity. His choice of words imply that he feels ripped off.

Looks like more of the same really. I'm struggling to get enthused about this game, Crysis got boring fast. FarCry 2 looks much more appealing

I really am looking forward to FarCry 2 as well. Yet someone will recommend it to me once they play it and I will regret getting suckerd into buying it. :(

And they are finally going to attempt to code and optimize the game correctly, like they should have done the first time? Woo-hoo!

Yeah, no kidding. I'm surprised they don't market this as the "performance edition".

Ironically, hardware companies have been doing this for ages. Putting artificial locks on things like processors and flash devices to prevent them from operating faster and marketting them as the "entry level" one.

It's going to be equally as terrible as the first game, and I probably won't buy it yet again.

Unexciting gameplay with suit and weapon gimmicks couple with horrible spawning issues, bad AI, and an even worse story. Sounds pretty awesome!

Is he talking about how sometimes the physics of destructible materials kill you for no apparent reason?

Interesting. I have seen that in a few games, but I never noticed it in Crysis. Though I suspect the enemies that "popped into existence" were just hidden out of sight during scouting.

Interesting. I have seen that in a few games, but I never noticed it in Crysis. Though I suspect the enemies that "popped into existence" were just hidden out of sight during scouting.

Nope, they popped into existence all the time on my playthrough, sometimes in plain sight.

I'll have to pay attention next time I'm playing. I just played through Assault again without noticing those things.

That's the kind of shit that pisses me off in games. Things that are out of my control and don't have any relevance to how skillful I am or how tactfully I implement my strategy to move forward. For instance when I aim my crosshairs at somebody's face and my bullets hit them in the knee, lol (in other games).

I didn't notice any spawns that happened as I progressed a level. I assumed there might be spawns upon completion of certain events.

For instance when I aim my crosshairs at somebody's face and my bullets hit them in the knee, lol (in other games).

*cough* STALKER *cough*

Back