Crysis, the best FPS to date

I was kinda bummed that Crysis didn't have many DX10 features that actually made a difference in the game.

I thought the reason the E3 demos we all drooled over looked so good was because it made extensive use of DX10.

However, DX10 seems to only have a negative impact on performance and almost no visual improvements.

Maybe future patches will bring in more DX10 goodies?

I know I don't have DX10 hardware yet (waiting for the [H] reviews) but I wish the leap to DX10 hardware would have meant a double bonus of new speed and new eye candy available with DX10 features. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Crysis is really a DX9 game. That's been well known through its development. DX10 to this point is only offering minor visual enhancements in the games its been utilized, and yes, it does tend to hit peformance pretty hard.

But this is just the begining o DX10, with first gen hardware and games. We're probably going to see hardware next year that takes DX10 performance to a level we're only dreaming of now. That along with better drivers and games being built from the ground up with DX10 in mind, and I think we'll see some pretty intresting stuff in the next year.

Nonetheless, even in DX9 Crysis is beautiful!. It is a landmark game and no doubt the CryTek2 engine will be enhanced to better support DX10. Far Cry 2 should be a real treat!

Yeah. It's often referred to as "doesn't suffer fools gladly". Fucking mongoloid, fuckwit, shit-for-brains, mouth-breathing spastic-brained-twats tend to get on my tits, and there's an inexplicable number of them granted permission to communicate their thoughts via the internet.

Yeah, some of them can say some stupid fucking things... where you just cover you face with your hand... :D

To all those that wailed on COD4 for the scripted gameplay, how are you feeling about the last third of Crysis? Pale comparison to COD4 you say? Ah, I thought as much.

Ive spent about 3 hours in the demo just shooting trees down, now thats a good game! ;)

LOL That's hilarious man. I swear I sat in that friggin hummer and just railed off as many rounds as I could (or until I became bored) at the palm trees in the demo. I mean...WTF!?!? Looking forward to playing the full retail game tomorrow!

Why is it that every thread that says "ZOMG CRYSIS IS THE SHIZ" never talks about the actual story or the way it plays but more of "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE HOW I SHOT THAT PALM TREE IN TWO!!!!" or "OMG THE HUMMER HAS UNLIMITED AMMO AND I CAN KILL A PALM TREE"

Please there is a lot more to a game that just the eyecandy and shooting down a palm tree which is pretty neat in the first 30 seconds then its ah yah seen that already.

Why is it that every thread that says "ZOMG CRYSIS IS THE SHIZ" never talks about the actual story or the way it plays but more of "HOLY CRAP DID YOU SEE HOW I SHOT THAT PALM TREE IN TWO!!!!" or "OMG THE HUMMER HAS UNLIMITED AMMO AND I CAN KILL A PALM TREE"

Please there is a lot more to a game that just the eyecandy and shooting down a palm tree which is pretty neat in the first 30 seconds then its ah yah seen that already.

Looks like you obviously have not played Crysis then...

What are these things? Seriously im getting frustrated i have killed 872,583 trees and the story just wont progress :confused:

I have an old P2.4C/6800 GT rig as a secondary. Runs Doom 3 on High wonderfully at 1280x1024. Did so the day it came out, too. Not sure what game you played, quite frankly.

I'll refer you to the review you probably bought your 6800 because of.

High is the second to highest setting in doom 3 there is an ultra setting. Also most gamers take into account AA/AF when they say "highest settings".

Not to mention the timedemo is scripted and the average FPS will be higher than actual gameplay as noted in the article you linked.

Like he said at the time there was nothing around that would play Doom 3 at absolute max at a respectable framerate. Same can be said of farcry, oblivion and now crysis. Just about every generation theres a game that smashes current cards.

THIS was the best post in this thread lol.

Oh... well... :p :D

What are you talking about ? You can quicksave (F5) and quickload (F8 for last quicksave, F9 for last save) anytime you want, how is the saving an issue ?

I know you can quicksave (like all FPS's), but at times the action can get fierce, and a) you can't reach those keys while fighting off the Koreans and b) on my machine, the kind of lag saving a game generates is ridiculous. I was resorting to jumping to the menu, manually saving that point, and then jumping back in.

Also, the auto-save feature, as I said, can be quite annoying: you can find yourself in a bit of a tight spot, hit the checkpoint trigger, have the game freeze and save the game, and then find yourself dead as you come back out of the lag. Like I said before, that could just have been me, as I found myself often loading a couple of save points previous so I didn't find myself in that situation again.

Oh and can I plug the collectors edition? You get a DVD with artwork, videos, and the making of Crysis video, as well as an extra CD with the soundtrack, and extra artwork booklet, as well as the game. I spent an extra $10AUD, could not be happier :)

Like I said before, that could just have been me..
Yeah, I think so cause if something like quicksaving was that broken there would be a lot more people complaining about it.

The Quicksaving/Quickloading worked 100% flawlessly for me, never caused any hitching/lag/stuttering or anything like that, and quicksaving was fast for me it took maybe only 1/2 a second to save.

I can't believe I keep hearing about how Doom 3 and HL2 played so great on current hardware when it came out.

So what? What if Doom 3 and HL2 released when it was originally supposed to in 03? Everyone would have been complaining that it runs like crap on their brand new 5 series or 9800XT.

Would people rather Crysis got delayed until NV and ATI's next gen? Would you rather the game not have so much potential to look great and have the devs scale back on the eye candy just so you can tell people your rig runs on highest settings at 1920x1200 16xAF 4xAA?

Games like Crysis make for excellent competition in the game and hardware industry. It raises the graphical bar for ALL games and Intel/AMD, ATI/NV push that much more to make hardware we all can buy to play the game at those settings.

Yeah, I think so cause if something like quicksaving was that broken there would be a lot more people complaining about it.

The Quicksaving/Quickloading worked 100% flawlessly for me, never caused any hitching/lag/stuttering or anything like that, and quicksaving was fast for me it took maybe only 1/2 a second to save.

Oh no, I never said that quicksave/quickload was broken (worked fine when I did start using it), but rather the auto-save at checkpoints could be annoying, depending on the situation I was in (health, state of attack etc). I know another review bought it up as a slight problem, in that the auto-save wasn't enough, or was too much. But I understand it was incredibly hard to knock it on the head, especially with the non-linear missions, so it wasn't a huge concern, rather a bit frustrating.

I was playing it on a high-end machine today, and almost messed my pants when I realised what I was missing it out on by playing on a low-end machine. Motion blur, depth of field, flawless particle generation, beautiful scenery, fine detail... let me say that it scales well to (most) hardware, but you may need to make compromises on quality, such as AA/AF turned off (essential at times) and lower res, to get the best performance out of the game. It will be interesting to see what new 'performance benefits' the new patch will generate.

Maybe what we should be talking about is how STALKER was the biggest waste of money EVER. Seriously, it might be one of the worst games that has gotten hype ive ever played in my entire life.
I agree with the n00b. STALKER is one of the worst games I've ever played.

Looks like you obviously have not played Crysis then...

Yes actually I have played Crysis and it doesn't impress me at all. I find a game like Bioshock more intriguing and interesting than Crysis, heck I find the original F.E.A.R. more fun than Crysis.

i've been playing it and so far it seems very "good"

i mean, the graphics are just stunning, no way around that....

but the game play? I mean, it is definitely fun....although the enemy AI is ridiculously stupid, but I can live with that if I just dont think about it much. It was all cool until the midway point when the aliens freeze the island, and at that point i stopped caring anyway...

seriously, what is up with Crytek and having wierd monsters/aliens fuck up their games? The alien bits aren't fun at all, they play just like any other generic sci-fi shooter and the open endedness of the first half of the game is almost completely gone....

w.t.f................ah well, one thing the demo taught me was that custom maps are awesome and there will be tons of cool custom maps being released.... so this game is a definite buy for me (had a *special* copy for testing.... but dont rag on me, after playing through the first 2 levels at most, I was dead set on buying).

Yes actually I have played Crysis and it doesn't impress me at all. I find a game like Bioshock more intriguing and interesting than Crysis, heck I find the original F.E.A.R. more fun than Crysis.

Great replay value those games have. :rolleyes:

Crysis is amazing, I found it too be impossible to top Far Cry but they did it. Plus with the way Circuit City has been doing things, it's nice to get new games for $40. :D

And if you didn't like Far Cry, your not a true FPS fan, I don't know how you can play through it and tell me it is not a good game.

Great replay value those games have. :rolleyes:

Crysis is amazing, I found it too be impossible to top Far Cry but they did it. Plus with the way Circuit City has been doing things, it's nice to get new games for $40. :D

And if you didn't like Far Cry, your not a true FPS fan, I don't know how you can play through it and tell me it is not a good game.

Farcry I found was better than Crysis as well!

For me games have no replay value at all no matter what because once I'm done the game (if the game can hold my attention that long), I will never play it again.

Farcry I found was better than Crysis as well!

For me games have no replay value at all no matter what because once I'm done the game (if the game can hold my attention that long), I will never play it again.

Well with Crysis and Far Cry you always have MP. If Bioshock would have had MP it would of been much better and very interesting to see how they would of done it.

It's called novelty. No other game has destructible environments, quite like Crysis and so it's appealing to try it out. It doesn't define Crysis as a game, but it obviously gives it far more realism, than any other game on the market, which is a big bonus.

I have been enjoying Crysis a lot, I haven’t beaten it yet, but I can see my self playing it again on the Hardest setting as soon as I beat it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s hard, I have died way too many times already, but I want to enjoy it even further the 2nd time. At first I found the use of the different powers to be cumbersome and I tried to do the Run n’ Gun style of play, only to die very quickly :-P. Now I have the use of the powers down to a science and I have to say it add a whole new level of fun to this game.

Anyone who has played Time Shift (under rated game, I enjoyed it a lot) can find neat ways to use the abilities, like I did. I seamlessly turn on Maximum speed, run up to a target, grab him, switch to maximum strength, use him a shield while I gun down another guy. Then toss the body at the next group of guys, buying me enough time to toss a nade at the ground, switch back to maximum speed and run away before it explodes killing everyone.

Other time’s I found that no matter how hard I tried to aggressively attack the enemies I just couldn’t take them on; Like the Part where you need to enter the village and meet up in the School. So I would cloak, get up close and gun down 2 or 3 guys, recloak and run for cover. I did this until I had killed off enough guys that I could use speed and strength to be more effective.

Being able to shoot down a tree is nice and kinda fun, but it’s such a small part of the game. The AI isn’t the smartest, but they are better then lots I have seen. I don’t simply judge the AI on how they attack me, I also judge the fact that they investigate sounds, move in groups, and flank your position, even retreat. At one part a Korean gunner in a car was killed by me, the driver ran back to the car, jumped in and drove to the village, when he got to the village, he honked the horn and alerted the others to the fact I was there. They then called in back up via the signal flare.

I ran out of ammo for my primary AR rather quickly and was forced to use the Korean AR almost all the time. While that’s realistic, they could have placed air dropped ammo in some places so that you can use your AR more often. But that is a small annoyance that I am sure will go away as I get better guns along the way. I really like the explosions that the grenades and rockets make, it’s so pretty!

Overall I have found this game so far to be Awesome and I really enjoy it. I will surely replay it right away on the hardest difficulty and maybe even force my self to only use stealth and the Tranquilizer attachment to pass most sections. This game has far more replay-ability then most games out there, simply because you can do it, many different ways. I think the game is a 9/10 game play wise but GFX its 10/10 in my books and will set the bar again, much like Farcry set the bar the first time around.

Do you really have to come in this thread with all those spoilers? Not everyone has finished the game.

i'm sorry, i really dont mean to be a jerk, but isn't all that stuff I posted already known? i mean i remember reading about those things in many of the game's previews and the aliens/change of weather was touted as a big thing during alot of the pre-release hype...

I really don't see what is so great about this game other than the graphics. I have played about 30 minutes into the game and quit because it was a bit boring.

As for COD4, it is one of the best games I've played.

I just beat the game yesterday and loved every moment of it. While the game isn't as good as some classics such as Half-Life, Half-Life 2, and Deus Ex, I'd still rank it among one of the best shooters ever made and possibly the best shooter this year.

Well from reading everyone's comments, the game is worth a purchase. To some, it's the best. To others, it's okay. As long as I'm not hearing,"This game is total trash!" then it'll be well worth the money.

Well from reading everyone's comments, the game is worth a purchase. To some, it's the best. To others, it's okay. As long as I'm not hearing,"This game is total trash!" then it'll be well worth the money.

Don't expect a huge following in multiplayer.

You just showed a screenshot with more servers up than 2142 usually had. You have it in order by ping, and some servers aren't having their ping reported correctly, so most people avoid those servers.

crysis642007-11-1716-00-17-86.jpg

I thought the open feel and gameplay made it the best game I've ever played. HL2 was good, but it was not a whole lot different than any other game out. Scripted corridor shooters, health packs for the loss.

High is the second to highest setting in doom 3 there is an ultra setting. Also most gamers take into account AA/AF when they say "highest settings".
High enables 4xAF by default. Ultra High means no compressed normals, and there's practically zero performance impact/visual benefit so long as you have enough VRAM. Ultra enables no other visual features -- just uncompressed normals. At the time, High was basically as good as it could get, but even enabling Ultra still had practically no performance impact on 256 meg cards:
Firingsquad said:
Despite id Software’s claims that the Ultra High Quality mode is only recommended for graphics cards with 512MB of memory, we were surprised to see the game running very smoothly on cards with 256 megabytes. We saw no differences in performance with the five above-described maps: all the difference fitted into the measurement error range (1-2 frames per second), even with full-screen antialiasing in 1600x1200...we never had a moment in the real game when 256MB would be not sufficient for the Ultra High Quality mode. If there was a performance hit, it was too small to be noticed.

Like he said at the time there was nothing around that would play Doom 3 at absolute max at a respectable framerate.
Few modern games can be played at "absolute max", which to me means the highest in-game options, the highest AA and AF allowable and with CatAI disabled/High Quality, so you aren't making much of an argument.

I really don't see what is so great about this game other than the graphics. I have played about 30 minutes into the game and quit because it was a bit boring.

As for COD4, it is one of the best games I've played.

The first level is nothing compared to the rest of the game....

Originally Posted by TheRapture:
People complained about Doom3 when it came out...and nobody was running it smooth and maxed out either at that time...now it runs like hot butter.

The only setting I couldn't use with my 6800 GT was the "Ultra" setting, which allowed for uncompressed normals, and wasn't a big deal at the time. Ran smoothly at High -- some hitches now and then, but no deal-breakers.

Not at 1600x1200, or even higher....with a 6800GT at a truly high res, which 1280x1024 doesn't count...D3 was a stuttery and laggy mess with maxed out IQ. :eek::D

But I digress....

Thats not what Im refering to, look at the total number of servers that comes up in my region, 416. For arguements sake

http://www.game-monitor.com/GameSearch/bf2142/BattleField_2142.html

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=crysis

]
It appears that way on the surface, but 2142 is a MP game only (SP isn't even usable). Crysis has been out less than a week and there are 400+ servers. 2142's server list shows all the servers from page 11-53 as being empty. I would wait before passing judgement.

]
It appears that way on the surface, but 2142 is a MP game only (SP isn't even usable). Crysis has been out less than a week and there are 400+ servers. 2142's server list shows all the servers from page 11-53 as being empty. I would wait before passing judgement.

Kinda what i was thinking. May as well compare the population of wow to oblivion. One is built to be single player with multiplayer added on to it while one is multiplayer only (unless killing bots is your thing). Not to mention 2142 has been around over a year and crysis hasnt been out for a week.

At least it has a multiplayer unlike bioshock.

Don't expect a huge following in multiplayer.

I'm not too worried about multiplayer. That's what CS: S and TF2 are for. Wish Portal had multiplayer deathmatch. All you get is a portal gun, a companion cube, and random spots in the map where you can fall into weird liquid that kills you.

I'm heard or seems like theres a lot of dissapointment from the Crysis folks, not all it was pumped up to be?

Nothing really is anymore. Bioshock. Super awesome OMGWTFROFLBBQ² talk about it. When it came out. It was a good game. Was it the best game that was on the face of the planet when it came out? No...not really. It felt like any other FPS game out there, just looked better. The whole plasmids and upgrades, didn't feel any different than carrying around a limited assortment of actual guns.

Crysis, I don't think will feel any different then every other FPS game out there. The only real way to make a truely evolutionary FPS is to have high graphics quality, adaptive AI, a large world to run in, and a immersive story. I don't use the term revolutionary, as I can't think of any way to make it revolutionary with what's techologically available to use.

I'm just hoping the story is somewhat intriguing, the gameplay isn't terrible, and the graphics look good. It's about all we can hope for nowadays in the FPS genre.

Crysis, I don't think will feel any different then every other FPS game out there. The only real way to make a truely evolutionary FPS is to have high graphics quality, adaptive AI, a large world to run in, and a immersive story. I don't use the term revolutionary, as I can't think of any way to make it revolutionary with what's techologically available to use.
Crysis has these things.

Crysis has these things.

Crysis has two of those:

Good graphics and large world to run in. Story is mediocre at best and AI is better described as "Artificial Idiot".

If it actually run at decent frame rates it would be a above average game. Right now its just a tech demo.

To me at least...

Crysis has these things.

So the game has an area of roughly around 50 miles to freely run in (none of that loading crap) and every building you can enter, take cover in, etc. While at the same time having the high quality graphics available to us.

AI that actually thinks like a person? I'm not just talking about enemies, I'm talking about your own teammates. How many times have you been unloading on an enemy, only to have a teammate run in front of you? I know I sure as hell won't run into that.

Immersive story? I'm talking non-linear. Where your actions can actually change how the game goes, how the story goes. Nothing like Bioshock where all you get is 2 endings. I'm talking, each action can give you like 100+ different endings. Not to mention, even sometime like halfway through the story, you can go evil and join the aliens or something.

I personally think all this is possible today, but would require one hell of a computer. Course with how long it'd take to make such a game, that fast computer would probably be affordable to all the high-end gamers.

Back