Crysis, the best FPS to date

Why do people like to dismiss visual quality in FPS games? While a good story adds to the experience, really, what FPS has a story that couldn’t have been written in an afternoon? Now, how many rendering engines could you write in the same afternoon?

Sure, we’ve seen the story a hundred times before in other games, on TV, and in the movies. But when have we seen it told like this? The FPS, like a movie, is a visual medium. There is a certain thrill to seeing something that one has not seen before. That’s way a movie like Transformers made hundreds of millions.

Spot on, spot on. :)

Anyone bashing this game has either not played it yet in full, or doesn't have the proper equipment to play it in a way such that they will appreciate the whole package -- graphics and gameplay.

The graphics of course, are easily the best of all time for any game ever produced, but they are merely just, "the icing on the cake", as the aphorism goes.

The gameplay then, goes hand-in-hand with the graphics to create an unparalleled experience.

So, graphics aside, the game is still INCREDIBLY fun to play, and it has almost limitless replayability.
Heck, the demo alone I played about 15 times, and that's just one level.

Im about 2/3 of the way done with the full game itself, but I already have plans of going back through it many many more times.

I could never say that about a game such as CoD4 for example, which is a single afternoon time-killer, and then it ends up collecting dust on the shelf thereafter.

Crysis singleplayer alone is just as addictive as most game's MP modes in terms of replayability. :)

Maybe what we should be talking about is how STALKER was the biggest waste of money EVER. Seriously, it might be one of the worst games that has gotten hype ive ever played in my entire life.

STALKER is the game of the year for me. Brilliant combat, story, everything... The game wasn't hyped, it came out of left-field for me.

Reviewed over at Action Trip. Scored 91

Meh, I guess with all the hype I expected 95+

I'm gonna wait a year, then pick it up....

When D3 and HL2 came out, I had a [email protected] and a 6800GT.

My best screen was a 19 inch CRT and I could play both those games at 60FPS at 1600x1200 with high settings. AA was a bit of an afterthought, but it still had max settings.

I have a [email protected] and a 8800GTX overclocked to cook eggs on it.

At my LCD's native 1920x1200 I can run the game at medium and get a little over 30fps, or 1680x1050 and a mix of very high/medium settings for a little over 30fps.

If I go for smoothness, the game looks like shit, and if I go for looks the game is slow.

My complaint: both the GAME and the HARDWARE are not ready yet. The game doesn't scale well at low resolutions, low it looks no better than far cry at times. The hardware is a year old. nvidia and ATI at the time had hardware that could do D3 and HL2 justice as far as performance and looks. Today is not the case.

I think Crysis is meant for technology at least a year away, it doesn't feel like there was any intent to market it to the masses. Both the aforementioned hits made every stride to make the games playable across a plethora of configurations. This one feels like a nvidia promo game all the way.

When D3 and HL2 came out, I had a [email protected] and a 6800GT.

My best screen was a 19 inch CRT and I could play both those games at 60FPS at 1600x1200 with high settings. AA was a bit of an afterthought, but it still had max settings.

I have a [email protected] and a 8800GTX overclocked to cook eggs on it.

At my LCD's native 1920x1200 I can run the game at medium and get a little over 30fps, or 1680x1050 and a mix of very high/medium settings for a little over 30fps.

If I go for smoothness, the game looks like shit, and if I go for looks the game is slow.

My complaint: both the GAME and the HARDWARE are not ready yet. The game doesn't scale well at low resolutions, low it looks no better than far cry at times. The hardware is a year old. nvidia and ATI at the time had hardware that could do D3 and HL2 justice as far as performance and looks. Today is not the case.

I think Crysis is meant for technology at least a year away, it doesn't feel like there was any intent to market it to the masses. Both the aforementioned hits made every stride to make the games playable across a plethora of configurations. This one feels like a nvidia promo game all the way.

It sounds like you belong to a minority group of people and want to hate Crysis for the sake of hating it. For whatever reason, you and others are deadset on hating it because it threatens you some how. It's really really weird how passionate people are about such things as 100FPS @ max settings. It ran fine on my Opteron 170 & 7950GT @ medium settings with water and textures on high at a resolution of 1280x1024. It runs great on my computer with an 8800GT and that same Opteron 170 @ 1280x1024 with everything on very high. I don't understand the complaints about slowdown and computers not coping with the game. It was completely enjoyable to me. Perhaps some people need to get over their OCD/obsession with having everything maxed while running at 60+FPS. Contrary to what many idiots here say, this is NOT even close to being the first game to push the envelope horsepower requirements. All of that is a separate issue from the game itself which is fantastic in its own right.

I haven't started Crysis yet, but I will now be weary of over-hyped games in what I will forever call the "Bioshock Effect".

I haven't started Crysis yet, but I will now be weary of over-hyped games in what I will forever call the "Bioshock Effect".

Bioshock was a bit of a let down, but I suspect Crysis will provide a more suitable experience/hype ratio. That said, no game (or movie, or book, etc) can ever live up to it's hype if it is 'over hyped'. People want Crysis to be so good that they will never need to buy a game again, taking the trash to the curb will no longer be a required, and super models will suddenly find them attractive. They need to realize it is just a game.

I've played the game now to what I suspect is about 1/3 of the way. It's not perfect, and I am certainly not playing on all very high settings, but it's been great so far. The game most certainly picks up in action, difficulty, and story from where the demo leaves off. The demo is clearly a type of training level, just like most FPS's have.

The AI is not perfect, but it is never going to be. It's as good or better then any FPS game I have played previously.

The graphics are great, my semi-beefy system (c2d @ 3.2ghz, 8800GTS 640mb, 2gb ram) only manages ~high settings at 1680x1050, but they are still the best graphics I have seen yet by far. The sound is also top notch, having just finished CoD4 SP over the weekend, and starting in on Crysis today, it was completely night and day.

The story seems to be pretty much what we all had figured. It's nice, it creates a reason to play, but it's still a story played throughout a FPS video game. So, just like any other FPS game, you aren't going to lose sleep contemplating it's depth. How anyone can say the stories involved with the Half Life or Doom series, Far Cry, STALKER, or what ever are 'good' is beyond me. Read a book or call your grandpa if you want a story :p

So, anyway... best FPS to date? 'Shrug', not sure I can remember them all well enough. Best FPS of the year? Maybe, but it's got some good competition. Seeing how popular the MP gets could be a deciding factor.

It sounds like you belong to a minority group of people and want to hate Crysis for the sake of hating it. For whatever reason, you and others are deadset on hating it because it threatens you some how. It's really really weird how passionate people are about such things as 100FPS @ max settings. It ran fine on my Opteron 170 & 7950GT @ medium settings with water and textures on high at a resolution of 1280x1024. It runs great on my computer with an 8800GT and that same Opteron 170 @ 1280x1024 with everything on very high. I don't understand the complaints about slowdown and computers not coping with the game. It was completely enjoyable to me. Perhaps some people need to get over their OCD/obsession with having everything maxed while running at 60+FPS. Contrary to what many idiots here say, this is NOT even close to being the first game to push the envelope horsepower requirements. All of that is a separate issue from the game itself which is fantastic in its own right.

Best post in this thread. And yeah, if you want a GOOD story, READ A BOOK...coming from someone who reads a book almost every day, there is no way any movie or video game can EVER capture the depth, complexity, and skill of a well written book. I can't wait for my new house, it is going to have a nice bookcase...I have hundreds of good books, lots of good science fiction, cop stories, etc. Very proud of them.

On a side note, I just picked up Crysis from GameStop for 24 bucks. I traded in 4 old Xbox games and paid the difference. Hell of a deal.

the hit detection is perfect... spot on!

wait... no....
Unless all the guns are ridiculously, unbelievably inaccurate....

man this game just keeps getting worse.
I am on the 3rd level and I am getting constant texture flicker and all kinda garbage in the game. I am not the only one there is a thread on Incrysis about people getting the same thing. This game has a ton of bugs and is getting less enjoying everytime I play it.

man this game just keeps getting worse.
I am on the 3rd level and I am getting constant texture flicker and all kinda garbage in the game. I am not the only one there is a thread on Incrysis about people getting the same thing. This game has a ton of bugs and is getting less enjoying everytime I play it.

These types of things happen with lots of games, often it's a driver issue. I am well past the 3rd mission and have yet to notice a bug or graphical error.

i am using that 169.09 driver
its annoying cause I keep thinking its about to just crash

The zero-G level has some amazing graphics. Those of you with the hardware to turn it up full must be blown away. Despite that though, I found myself wanting out of there as quickly as possible.

Possible spoiler:

That's probably because the place is just one big maze.

I agree. Honestly, these people play new games with 1 year old hardware at fucking 1920x1200 and expect good performance. You were playing at 1024x768 a year ago, guys, did you suddenly think games would magically run well at almost 4 times the resolution? Turn your res. down and your performance will more than double. It's pretty simple.

Anyway and I found it funny when someone mentionned that Crysis had "horrible" AI. First off, no other FPS has AI as adaptive as Crysis'. Most games are completely linear, enemies spawn in pre-determined places and simply charge you while shooting. This is lightyears beyond that since they not only fight better, call for backup (and actually get backup instead of saying random lines that don't affect the gameplay) shoot where you were after turning invisible, hear you, notice if you move branches, adapt to a changing environment, blow up buildings to get to you, etc. Not only that but other brand new games like Assassin's Creed, now THOSE have horrible AI (and COD4 has respawning enemies but anyway). In Ass. Creed you literally stab someone in front of a guard then sit on a bench and the guard goes, "What?! Who did this?!" when you're the only person there, right in front of him...then you stab him too, put on your hoody and the other guys go, "where'd he go!?" Not THAT's shitty AI - and that game's getting 9-10/10 in reviews...so cut Crysis some slack already since most games have terrible AI and only Far Cry and Crysis tried to actually improve things. (STALKER too, but that came long after Far Cry)

I agree. Honestly, these people play new games with 1 year old hardware at fucking 1920x1200 and expect good performance. You were playing at 1024x768 a year ago, guys, did you suddenly think games would magically run well at almost 4 times the resolution? Turn your res. down and your performance will more than double. It's pretty simple.

Anyway and I found it funny when someone mentionned that Crysis had "horrible" AI. First off, no other FPS has AI as adaptive as Crysis'. Most games are completely linear, enemies spawn in pre-determined places and simply charge you while shooting. This is lightyears beyond that since they not only fight better, call for backup (and actually get backup instead of saying random lines that don't affect the gameplay) shoot where you were after turning invisible, hear you, notice if you move branches, adapt to a changing environment, blow up buildings to get to you, etc. Not only that but other brand new games like Assassin's Creed, now THOSE have horrible AI (and COD4 has respawning enemies but anyway). In Ass. Creed you literally stab someone in front of a guard then sit on a bench and the guard goes, "What?! Who did this?!" when you're the only person there, right in front of him...then you stab him too, put on your hoody and the other guys go, "where'd he go!?" Not THAT's shitty AI - and that game's getting 9-10/10 in reviews...so cut Crysis some slack already since most games have terrible AI and only Far Cry and Crysis tried to actually improve things. (STALKER too, but that came long after Far Cry)

Amen.
The technical achievements of this game, be it in terms of AI, gameplay mechanics, or graphics do indeed put games such as CoD4 and the like to shame (and other similarly scripted, static, linear types of games).

Amen.
The technical achievements of this game, be it in terms of AI, gameplay mechanics, or graphics do indeed put games such as CoD4 and the like to shame (and other similarly scripted, static, linear types of games).

+2 :)

All I can say is this is farcry that runs like shit. I have an E6850 @ 4.4GHz and a outrageously overclocked 8800 Ultra all on water, and I can't squeeze out playable settings. And not only that, I got completely bored on the second level, and I don't think I'll return to playing the game again. Most over hyped game I've ever seen in my life. I've said it once, and I'll never stop saying it - COD4 has better single player, better multiplayer, and it's just a better designed game, period. No, trees don't break in half - but you can actually play it without having to turn all the settings down to look like farcry 1. The belligerence of gamers stating how amazing crysis is should get a grip - if you understand game design, tris counts, optimization, normal mapping, etc... you'd see that this game is a travesty - its by far the most unoptimized game I've ever seen get published. No, 1 year old hardware shouldn't have any problem with this game whatsoever - but keep telling yourselves that. Only on hard forum do people advocate spending tons of money due to a developers shortcomings.

Amen.

+3... :D

All I can say is this is farcry that runs like shit. I have an E6850 @ 4.4GHz and a outrageously overclocked 8800 Ultra all on water, and I can't squeeze out playable settings. And not only that, I got completely bored on the second level, and I don't think I'll return to playing the game again. Most over hyped game I've ever seen in my life. I've said it once, and I'll never stop saying it - COD4 has better single player, better multiplayer, and it's just a better designed game, period. No, trees don't break in half - but you can actually play it without having to turn all the settings down to look like farcry 1. The belligerence of gamers stating how amazing crysis is should get a grip - if you understand game design, tris counts, optimization, normal mapping, etc... you'd see that this game is a travesty - its by far the most unoptimized game I've ever seen get published. No, 1 year old hardware shouldn't have any problem with this game whatsoever - but keep telling yourselves that. Only on hard forum do people advocate spending tons of money due to a developers shortcomings.

:p:p:p

Im not reading this whole thread, because quite frankly its 3am and im too damn lazy to do that. now that said.

I DO like how in single player you can approach combat however you want, but i find with stealth, the game is WAY too fucking easy on delta, its literally, hide, peek out and blow someones brains out, recharge, rinse, repeat if necessary. its ridiculous.

Man, if it runs bad on these 8800/C2Q combos I see in your sigs, Crysis is probably going to laugh when I try to run it on my 3.4 GHz P4 HT and X1950 Pro. :(

I dont think my computer is going to enjoy that. Its probably going to be screaming KILL ME NOW!

Well, I just finished the full game, so I went looking for a thread like this somewhere to see what people's feelings are. Reading the first few pages (started to get repetitive after a while :p ), I can't help but agree with some, disagree with others...

I played the whole game with the system in my sig, all on low details, at 1024x768, and the game still looked great in every area. Not as good as it looks on one of the latest systems (looks sooo nice with a 8800-series GPU :) ), but it still provides the immersion needed to get locked into a game the good old-fashioned way. Plenty of slowdowns and playing at single-digit FPS, but I am still happy that a title that "pushes modern hardware to its knees" can still play on mine, and still look good in the process.

Gameplay is incredible, the number of ways you can do a mission is just insane. The number of times that go for a gun battle, would run out of ammo, die, and then think 'hang on, what if we sneaked past' was quite high. you can play the game however you want to, if you like shooting, you can do it that way, you can melee, or you can go through it tactical styles. Its all up to you, big props to the developers for allowing the player to do that.

I did die too many times, possibly because I haven't been playing games in a long time, possibly because I played it until 3.30am this morning, and then until just before (7.30pm here), but I have to say there are plenty of situations that the player gets into (often as part of a cutscene or load point) where they die straight away. Or, something comes out of nowhere (despite scanning the area well) and takes you out. Disappointing and frustrating for that to happen, whether it is buggy AI or level design, or just bad circumstances I'm not sure. Not wanting to put the game down, perhaps if I played it again I would have better luck. Ask me again in a week :p

Oh and did I mention the problem with saving? Quite often its either not enough autosave points, or too much. I'm sure a lot of people who have played the full game would have experienced that problem. Frustrating, at times.

Don't have much else to say, anything else would be a huge spoiler... ;)

I love people throwing opinions on the game and stating them as fact.

respect peoples opinions, if someone says they like the game, its their fav, you can say you didnt like it, but it looks nice.

dont just throw out there YOU ARE WRONG THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE IN EVERY WAY, THIS GAME BEATS IT BECAUSE I LIKE THIS GAME MORE.

/rant

I love people throwing opinions on the game and stating them as fact.

respect peoples opinions, if someone says they like the game, its their fav, you can say you didnt like it, but it looks nice.

dont just throw out there YOU ARE WRONG THIS GAME IS HORRIBLE IN EVERY WAY, THIS GAME BEATS IT BECAUSE I LIKE THIS GAME MORE.

/rant

Yeah, I've encountered it quite a few times...

Ignorance and assumptions aren't good... not at all.

Well, I just finished the full game, so I went looking for a thread like this somewhere to see what people's feelings are. Reading the first few pages (started to get repetitive after a while :p ), I can't help but agree with some, disagree with others...

I played the whole game with the system in my sig, all on low details, at 1024x768, and the game still looked great in every area. Not as good as it looks on one of the latest systems (looks sooo nice with a 8800-series GPU :) ), but it still provides the immersion needed to get locked into a game the good old-fashioned way. Plenty of slowdowns and playing at single-digit FPS, but I am still happy that a title that "pushes modern hardware to its knees" can still play on mine, and still look good in the process.

Gameplay is incredible, the number of ways you can do a mission is just insane. The number of times that go for a gun battle, would run out of ammo, die, and then think 'hang on, what if we sneaked past' was quite high. you can play the game however you want to, if you like shooting, you can do it that way, you can melee, or you can go through it tactical styles. Its all up to you, big props to the developers for allowing the player to do that.

I did die too many times, possibly because I haven't been playing games in a long time, possibly because I played it until 3.30am this morning, and then until just before (7.30pm here), but I have to say there are plenty of situations that the player gets into (often as part of a cutscene or load point) where they die straight away. Or, something comes out of nowhere (despite scanning the area well) and takes you out. Disappointing and frustrating for that to happen, whether it is buggy AI or level design, or just bad circumstances I'm not sure. Not wanting to put the game down, perhaps if I played it again I would have better luck. Ask me again in a week :p

Oh and did I mention the problem with saving? Quite often its either not enough autosave points, or too much. I'm sure a lot of people who have played the full game would have experienced that problem. Frustrating, at times.

Don't have much else to say, anything else would be a huge spoiler... ;)

Probably the best post in this thread. I think I'm gonna buy it. Thank you.

What are you talking about ? You can quicksave (F5) and quickload (F8 for last quicksave, F9 for last save) anytime you want, how is the saving an issue ?

People want Crysis to be so good that they will never need to buy a game again, taking the trash to the curb will no longer be a required, and super models will suddenly find them attractive.

I played for a little bit last night, and can confirm that Crysis does indeed do all these things.

I blitzkrieged through the first level having played it in the demo a couple times, and then slowed down once I got past it.

This is certainly the most fun I've had in an FPS since the original quake and duke3d.

First let me say that I am not a huge gamer. I do play games but like most people play games for fun, I play them to take some time off from real life for a while. Some games can get you immersed in your surroundings and some cannot. Crysis has gotten me immersed in every sense of the word. The sound is near perfect, (tank level with explosions everywhere with the sound cranked OMG awesome) the graphics even on all medium are still far better then most games if not all games I have played. The open levels are wonderful. If I die trying to go at an objective in one way, I have a choice to try it again a different way. Most linear games you just have to shoot more accurately to pass an area that is hard or dodge bullets better. Crysis you can try many different ways to do the same thing, or hell skip an area all together if you are good at being stealth. Yeah the AI isn't perfect but it has not taken the immersion out of it. It's not a big stretch to think there are some really stupid soldiers out there, I mean look a the kind of people we have in these forums!

I have not beaten the game yet, but so far I have to say it is the best game I have ever played. Just beat COD4...good game, but nowhere near the immersion that crysis has. I know people have opinions about stuff, but I get really confused when people say they hated farcry. Up until Crysis that was my last favorite game for most of the same reasons. Oh, and I loved the MP in farcry, we still play it at our LANS when we get sick of playing linear games.

Probably the best post in this thread. I think I'm gonna buy it. Thank you.

I take it back.

First let me say that I am not a huge gamer. I do play games but like most people play games for fun, I play them to take some time off from real life for a while. Some games can get you immersed in your surroundings and some cannot. Crysis has gotten me immersed in every sense of the word. The sound is near perfect, (tank level with explosions everywhere with the sound cranked OMG awesome) the graphics even on all medium are still far better then most games if not all games I have played. The open levels are wonderful. If I die trying to go at an objective in one way, I have a choice to try it again a different way. Most linear games you just have to shoot more accurately to pass an area that is hard or dodge bullets better. Crysis you can try many different ways to do the same thing, or hell skip an area all together if you are good at being stealth. Yeah the AI isn't perfect but it has not taken the immersion out of it. It's not a big stretch to think there are some really stupid soldiers out there, I mean look a the kind of people we have in these forums!

I have not beaten the game yet, but so far I have to say it is the best game I have ever played. Just beat COD4...good game, but nowhere near the immersion that crysis has. I know people have opinions about stuff, but I get really confused when people say they hated farcry. Up until Crysis that was my last favorite game for most of the same reasons. Oh, and I loved the MP in farcry, we still play it at our LANS when we get sick of playing linear games.

THIS was the best post in this thread lol.

I played for a little bit last night, and can confirm that Crysis does indeed do all these things.

I blitzkrieged through the first level having played it in the demo a couple times, and then slowed down once I got past it.

This is certainly the most fun I've had in an FPS since the original quake and duke3d.

Yeah I flew through the first level, having played it so many times in the demo. The demo level brought back good memories of FarCry, but later levels go straight to 'holy crap awesome' mode.

I've got a huge collection of FPS games going back to Wolf3d and can be hard to please. Crysis had me playing until the wee hours and I didnt even notice the time or want to stop. Very immersive.

Whats with all the comparisons between Farcry and HL2 ?? You are a definate minority when saying Farcry is better than HL2. If Farcry was such an amazing game and had such an amazing engine, than why was there almost no multiplayer?
Now that is funny. I like HL2 as much as the next guy, but it's multiplayer component was at best mediocre, and that only because of the gravity gun. Both FarCry and HL2 were excellent games, for their own reasons, but neither one shone in the multiplayer department.

STALKER is the game of the year for me. Brilliant combat, story, everything... The game wasn't hyped, it came out of left-field for me.

I forgot that it came out in 2007. Now i'm not so sure CoD4 deserves GoTY. That said, regardless of what deserves it, we all know that Crysis will probably end up getting it, simply because anyone reviewing it is given a monstrous PC upon which to do so, and that most of them are morons.

Yeah I flew through the first level, having played it so many times in the demo. The demo level brought back good memories of FarCry, but later levels go straight to 'holy crap awesome' mode.

I've got a huge collection of FPS games going back to Wolf3d and can be hard to please. Crysis had me playing until the wee hours and I didnt even notice the time or want to stop. Very immersive.

homer_drool.gif

I've just played a demo map called "Idea" (clicky) and I spent 2 hours on it without even noticing the time fly by. I looked at my watch and thought "wooow", then spent another hour on it! :D

Added to my quotes! :)
I forgot that it came out in 2007. Now i'm not so sure CoD4 deserves GoTY. That said, regardless of what deserves it, we all know that Crysis will probably end up getting it, simply because anyone reviewing it is given a monstrous PC upon which to do so, and that most of them are morons.

lol, looks like somebody a little pissed off?

Not hearing much about MP, how is it? multiple game play modes? unlocks? achievements? or was MP just an after thought.

Not hearing much about MP, how is it? multiple game play modes? unlocks? achievements? or was MP just an after thought.

I played some deathmatch last night. The death match map I played on wasn't very large and was fairly fast paced. I also played Power Struggle a couple of times, which was different and fun. Seems like you need more people to play it effectively and build up those prestige points though.

lol, looks like somebody a little pissed off?

Yeah. It's often referred to as "doesn't suffer fools gladly". Fucking mongoloid, fuckwit, shit-for-brains, mouth-breathing spastic-brained-twats tend to get on my tits, and there's an inexplicable number of them granted permission to communicate their thoughts via the internet.

I was kinda bummed that Crysis didn't have many DX10 features that actually made a difference in the game.

I thought the reason the E3 demos we all drooled over looked so good was because it made extensive use of DX10.

However, DX10 seems to only have a negative impact on performance and almost no visual improvements.

Maybe future patches will bring in more DX10 goodies?

I know I don't have DX10 hardware yet (waiting for the [H] reviews) but I wish the leap to DX10 hardware would have meant a double bonus of new speed and new eye candy available with DX10 features. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Back